Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:20 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been coming to Washington for a good 30 years.
Mainly to the Peninsula but I did work in Spokane for 3 months years ago.
Some how I just never made it to Seattle until yesterday.

Anyway so yesterday the wife and I went there from near Sequim and spent a few hours on the waterfront.
We really enjoyed ourselves.
Had a nice meal at Ivar’s (sp?). It was very enjoyable and priced better than I expected so that was nic.
We then walked around the waterfront for a bit and then headed home.

Here are some of my observations.

It was very clean.

Most people were nice except one lady who insisted that we wear our masks while we’re were sitting alone on the mostly empty ferry as she let her dog play on the seats.
She is probably special so we didn’t let her bother us non.

For us (coming from the Peninsula) it was a good idea to not bring our car. Just no need so we left it at the Bainbridge ferry terminal and that worked out well.

Most of the prices I saw were honest reasonable prices.
I was not looking for cheap but I do appreciate fair pricing because… well I’m a cheapo at heart .

I twisted my knee the day before so I appreciated that the walk was easy enough for me.
It was very walkable.

I enjoyed seeing the attractions on the waterfront and also the shops on the parallel road next block over.

As we were leaving I asked my wife which side street to take to get back to the ferry and a nice guy overheard us gave us directions to the ramp thing.

We left our place near Sequim just after 10:00 am and came back a bit after 5:30 pm.

Overall it was a very nice enjoyable day and I consider it a “do-over”.

Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:38 AM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Wow! Never made it to Seattle in 30 yrs, until now! I'm glad you had an enjoyable time. It's nice to hear good things about Seattle. Of course, you didn't venture very deeply in, but it was a nice introduction.

Next time, you should visit the Seattle Art Museum and Pike Place Market. You could do that without a car, too; there must be a bus that goes from the ferry terminal to that part of downtown. You could have lunch at the Bolivian restaurant, that's on the 2nd floor of the building across from the main market; they have good food and a great view of the sound, and the ferries. On a good day, you can see the mountains on the Peninsula.

If you bring a car, you could visit the Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park, and the plant conservatory. there Or you could skip the car, and try taking an Uber.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:10 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,892,394 times
Thanks for sharing Andy. It's great you and spouse had an enjoyable time.

From your CD postings you seem a pleasant, consciousness person.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:59 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,285,538 times
Glad you made the trip! I'm finally able to recommend that my friends/family back east come visit me, now that things are getting back to normal.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:02 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,522,027 times
Can't believe/didn't know you'd never been, Mech Andy. Bet you loved it and obviously you did. Take one of those $44 scooters next time, unless they're illegal on Seattle streets, of course. Just so you can cover more ground in my beloved city of birth.

So much for the so-called Seattle Freeze, eh? Really happy you went and saw it up close and personal!

See, there are at least some kind people there, folkguitarist.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:44 PM

8,184 posts, read 8,332,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hi all,
I have been coming to Washington for a good 30 years.
Mainly to the Peninsula but I did work in Spokane for 3 months years ago.
Some how I just never made it to Seattle until yesterday.

Anyway so yesterday the wife and I went there from near Sequim and spent a few hours on the waterfront.
We really enjoyed ourselves.
Had a nice meal at Ivar’s (sp?). It was very enjoyable and priced better than I expected so that was nic.
We then walked around the waterfront for a bit and then headed home.

Here are some of my observations.

It was very clean.

Most people were nice except one lady who insisted that we wear our masks while we’re were sitting alone on the mostly empty ferry as she let her dog play on the seats.
She is probably special so we didn’t let her bother us non.

For us (coming from the Peninsula) it was a good idea to not bring our car. Just no need so we left it at the Bainbridge ferry terminal and that worked out well.

Most of the prices I saw were honest reasonable prices.
I was not looking for cheap but I do appreciate fair pricing because… well I’m a cheapo at heart .

I twisted my knee the day before so I appreciated that the walk was easy enough for me.
It was very walkable.

I enjoyed seeing the attractions on the waterfront and also the shops on the parallel road next block over.

As we were leaving I asked my wife which side street to take to get back to the ferry and a nice guy overheard us gave us directions to the ramp thing.

We left our place near Sequim just after 10:00 am and came back a bit after 5:30 pm.

Overall it was a very nice enjoyable day and I consider it a “do-over”.

Andy.

Glad you had a nice visit. People who come to Seattle with a positive attitude and look for good seem to find it. Funny how that works .

Old 07-10-2021, 10:55 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,097,859 times
I’m semi retired but I still have to work in San Francisco until next year.
I am in a big city every day so I thought why go.
I am glad I did.
I saw more homeless in PA the other day than I did in Seattle yesterday.
Glad I went. It was nice.

I did see the scooters and considered them but I have no idea how to pay for them.
I thought if I did it wrong my card would be paying for it long after we were done.
They have them all over San Francisco but for that reason I’ve never tried them.
I think I will YouTube it for an informational class.

I would definitely recommend this area to people.

Staying positive and treating people respectfully has always seemed to work best for me but I am not perfect
and have been bitten in the butt more than once.
Sometimes getting bit is a good reality check .

All the best.
Andy.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:32 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,522,027 times
I love your attitude, MechAndy. It sounds like a humble one, which is really the best attitude a person can manifest.

I wish you, and everyone on here, a good Pacific Northwest day.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:27 PM

13,088 posts, read 7,562,936 times
I thought you lived in WA
I do a chowder crawl in Seattle and vicinity. FYI, Do not do chowder and a beer (gives me severe and prolonged heart burn).

Old 07-10-2021, 03:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,240,634 times
Interesting that your first impression was that it was clean. I certainly don’t feel that way, but you may have missed some of the more notorious places like Pioneer Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area