Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 10:37 AM

15,944 posts, read 6,646,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Just to add: Why do they want a 72hr test, if I can prove I'm fully vaccinated? I could catch the covid, sitting in line at the border, or anytime during the prior 3 days. Why prove vaccination, if they want a test anyway?
It's a numbers game. The process isn't going to stop every carrier, but when you do the same thing with a million visitors, it reduces the amount by X%. If you think about it, that is what every quarantine measure has been about; lowering the viral reproduction number across a large population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 10:42 AM

1,369 posts, read 719,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
It's not the cost. We did the free tests, prior to flying to Hawaii...twice. They worked out well, though we had to drive 1 1/2 hrs for the tests. Maybe quicker and easier for others, though. I had also planned to pre-pay our hotel and Tsawwassen ferry trips. Too risky getting test results in time, border crossing delays, border police labor issues.
We'll wait until later.
The 1.5 hour drive does sound like a pain. I believe there are now pharmacy store bought tests you could probably have delivered to you. However, I presume Canada wouldn't accept those results, if they are given to you directly and not via an official location.

I think your decision is perfectly reasonable, given the long drive and the timing issues. Though hotels and ferries may still have easy cancellation for COVID related reasons, the logistical difficulties sound like a pain. As with all other things, it will clear up eventually. Good luck and I hope you have a great vacation somewhere soon!

Old 08-10-2021, 10:43 AM

1,369 posts, read 719,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Their border, their rules. No one in Canada cares how you would run things if you could take over their government.

You have a perfect opportunity to stay home if you don't like their rules. There are lots of nice places to vacation right here inside the borders of the USA.
I think this is a bit harsh. He wasn't railing against the Canadian government, just questioning the logic of their choices. He already said he wasn't going... he's not banging at the door, demanding entry.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,310,422 times
I'll visit Canada again in 2022. No need to rush it, this year.

Excited to see Vancouver.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,071,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Their border, their rules. No one in Canada cares how you would run things if you could take over their government.

You have a perfect opportunity to stay home if you don't like their rules. There are lots of nice places to vacation right here inside the borders of the USA.
All true. Bureaucracy and politics in Canada, too.
And we're already planning another trip in it's place. There's always next summer.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,071,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
The 1.5 hour drive does sound like a pain. I believe there are now pharmacy store bought tests you could probably have delivered to you. However, I presume Canada wouldn't accept those results, if they are given to you directly and not via an official location.

I think your decision is perfectly reasonable, given the long drive and the timing issues. Though hotels and ferries may still have easy cancellation for COVID related reasons, the logistical difficulties sound like a pain. As with all other things, it will clear up eventually. Good luck and I hope you have a great vacation somewhere soon!
Thank you.
Then, there was something called ArriveCAN download thing everyone has to learn. That was the weak point in our trips to Hawaii. I want zero glitches, when it involves a foreign country.
We'll need more time.

Last edited by wolfdog; 08-10-2021 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 09:19 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,994,976 times
Something I am confused about, Canada says visitors must have a quarantine plan. What if you are only going up to Vancouver for a day trip? I meet every requirement to go up.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,820 posts, read 58,384,592 times
Free PCR tests must be in the 'other' Washington! (Seattle?) we had to drive 3.
5 hrs one way for our Hawaii required Covid tests. (We could have done them monitored on line if we were from Oregon (where our flight departed))

Required PCR Covid tests have cost far more than my grocery budget this last year.

CDC should have jumped on all the excess test kits S Korea offered the USA forget <$4, rather than insisting the USA use the faulty CDC tests. Some of mine have been over $240 each.

I trust the 'superior' USA HC system can invent and prescribe daily molecular home kits soon. We're gonna be needing daily testing for several years for those interfacing with immune compromised patients, students, family....

There are 20 min PCR tests, but not readily available in the advanced medical society of USA. Our politicians are still recommending not tests for asymptomatic ( when you're most likely to spread)

No tests = no cases = Covid is gone. (May 26, 2021 at the White House iirc)

I can see why Canada might want test results from potential visitors (and mandatory contact tracing, throughout your stay)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area