Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Bolt bus or train gives you wifi and time to rest.

Auto is no big deal, but tiring.
I often commuted 2x /day when disabled parent was in often hospital, and 1-2x / week for 15 yrs. (Stevenson to Bremerton). 12 hrs driving / day still allowed for 8 hrs work and 4 hrs sleep. (Usually in hospital parking lot). No buses or trains running my route. Driving off-hours is far faster and safer except at 2am when the bars close. Cars much prefer cool night air.

Having a friend or elderly with a spare bedroom on your PDX end would allow nice flexibility. Pick them up some groceries or smoked salmon as a gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,153 times
It’s looking like bus or train are the best options if I can get some flexibility on arrival times. Wish they had earlier departure options. Maybe fly up and train down.

Just wondering if this will get old fast. Once a week is pushing it but seems doable. I’m someone who talks myself into things and finds solutions, but concerned this is pushing it too the limit.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:23 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Well, what are you gaining by moving to Portland?

Old 07-30-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, what are you gaining by moving to Portland?
Larger social network, family, friend, cheaper cost of living, smaller city (positive to me), better public transportation, more manageable city to get around driving, and better vibe overall.

Seattle is good, Portland is great to me. Used to live in Portland for quite a while.

My current job is great. First time in my 22 years working I can say that. It provides great work life balance and I enjoy what I do. Unsure if I could find something as great as what I have here so I’m hesitant to just look for a new job and want to see if retaining it is doable. I figured there had to be some people somewhere who have tried this.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:02 PM

I don’t know anybody who’s tried that commute very often!

Maybe plan yourself a nice working vacation down there and try it a few times before you go to far down the planning road. I wouldn’t want to do it but I always get lost in Portland. Lotta one-way streets and I was always on the wrong side of the river from where I wanted to be! Might be easier now with GPS. :-)

Old 07-30-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don’t know anybody who’s tried that commute very often!

Maybe plan yourself a nice working vacation down there and try it a few times before you go to far down the planning road. I wouldn’t want to do it but I always get lost in Portland. Lotta one-way streets and I was always on the wrong side of the river from where I wanted to be! Might be easier now with GPS. :-)
Great idea. I’ll look at a monthly rental somewhere and give it a trial run before making any major decisions.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:13 PM

Good luck. Lots of Air BnBs around. Keep us posted!

Make sure you check on the tax implications of this.... Oregon has an income tax. - But no sales tax.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate55 View Post
Larger social network, family, friend, cheaper cost of living, smaller city (positive to me), better public transportation, more manageable city to get around driving, and better vibe overall.

Seattle is good, Portland is great to me. Used to live in Portland for quite a while.

My current job is great. First time in my 22 years working I can say that. It provides great work life balance and I enjoy what I do. Unsure if I could find something as great as what I have here so I’m hesitant to just look for a new job and want to see if retaining it is doable. I figured there had to be some people somewhere who have tried this.
I’m down in the Portland area right now as well. I’m from Seattle so I’m alittle biased and prefer Seattle to Portland (enjoy them both though) but not sure if that commute is worth it. Definitely see if your company will pay for your travel or atleast part of it. If you decide driving is more reliable look into getting a large SUV or Truck. If its used for “business transportation” you can write off the entire cost of the vehicle. Could be worth looking into.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
3 hours one way, give or take.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:51 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times
terrible drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area