Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 12:13 PM

146 posts, read 394,861 times

Advertisements

I've traveled 40 states and Washington will be my 41st. I've googled these questions, but too many things and too many paid stuff come up.

So:

1- What are the top five "Seattle experiences" that I should NOT miss?

2- For a true Seattle-coffee experience, what do you recommend?

3- Are there unsafe areas that I should avoid?

4- What natural/nature/park places I should not miss? That are unique to Washington?

(I don't drink and don't go to bars)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 12:32 PM

15,946 posts, read 6,646,882 times
If I might ask, how long do you plan to be here? That will determine how much you can do and see.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:34 PM

146 posts, read 394,861 times
Three days

Old 08-21-2021, 04:55 PM

15,946 posts, read 6,646,882 times
Well the stock city locations are Pike Place Market, ride the Monorail to Seattle Center, take a ride up the Space Needle, and visit the MoPop and other Seattle Center sights. You can head down to the waterfront, which is a bit touristy with an aquarium and wheel. Maybe then you fancy a ferry ride over to Bremerton. Most of the downtown should be moderately safe during the day. It's a city, of course, so common sense required.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:19 PM

4,781 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Default I don't live in Seattle, but I like to visit there...

Here are some suggestions... mostly standard ones, but it's your first visit, so check these boxes:

1a the Space Needle, of course... for its own sake, and for the amazing views you'll see.
1b the Museum of Flight... if you travel, you probably have at least some interest in aircraft,
and the Museum has an amazing collection... even a Concorde.
1c Pike Place Market... I'm guessing the level of activity there now isn't anything like it was
in pre-coronavirus times, but have a look anyway.
1d the Main Library... unique design, plus Seattle is a famously bookish city, so go see its library.
1e Washington Park Arboretum... a great place to enjoy nature inside city limits.
1f Ride one of the big ferry boats over to Bremerton and back... it's fun being on the water,
and the views are spectacular.

2 Can't help with this... I never acquired the coffee habit (so I won't be permitted to actually live in Seattle).

3 I've never felt unsafe in Seattle, though I haven't been to every part of town.
Safety is probably more a matter of time than place... it's prudent to not be out and about
in the wee hours.

4 Olympic National Park has some spectacular coastline, and magnificent greenery
(including what's said to be one of the few temperate-zone rain forests).
But it would be a long drive, perhaps not practical if you have only three days.

Last edited by NW4me; 08-21-2021 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 06:26 PM

14,657 posts, read 12,316,970 times
Recommend the Space Needle and Pike Place.... people will expect you do have done that!

Seattle Aquarium!

If you have time... a Whale Watching trip. There's a few boats/companies. It would take up most of a whole day, probably. But the Transient Orca pods have been around lately and would be a great local experience you won't get anywhere else. I follow the whales on facebook too.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:35 PM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 335,599 times
I was disappointed to get coffee at the first (or 2nd or whatever) Starbucks shop at pike place, because it was simply a line to get take out, no seating available. But to make up for that I plan and suggest trying a starbucks roastery reserve. Not sure which one is the best but they have menu items that a typical starbucks doesn't have.

I went on the big ferris wheel which was cool. If you have limited time or just 1 day on Seattle, do the pike marketplace area, all walkable. Be careful with restaurants, many aren't as they seem so know the menu before going.

Be prepared to see many homeless everywhere. Hopefully transit stations have reopened as well. If u like chinese food go to international district.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:00 PM

13,129 posts, read 7,618,088 times
Instead of the Bremerton Ferry, You can do the Bainbridge Ferry. Same Colman Dock location. Its a shorter ride, same view. Bainbridge is more quaint. May be a little cheaper? I use a regional OrcaCard Regional Transit RFID pass (transfers are free between the 3 primary transportation agencies, only if you use Orca Card) (https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro.aspx or www.Soundtransit.org). If you are a 65+ or disabled, absolutely get an Orca Card, for your 3 days.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:19 PM

8,189 posts, read 8,363,278 times
I second the ferry ride, Pike Place market and the Space Needle. Also would be great to rent kayaks and kayak on Lake Union near the famous scenes from the movie “Sleepless in Seattle”. Here’s a great place to rent: https://aguaverdepaddleclub.com/

Be great if you could catch a sunset meal at Ray’s Boathouse in Shilshole. Any chance you can get up to see Mt. Rainier? It’s a long day trip but so gorgeous. Have a wonderful trip.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:45 PM

13,129 posts, read 7,618,088 times
2. Coffee. Starbucks Reserve Roastery. 1124 Pike St. It's a walkable 11 blocks up from Pike Place but it is also uphill. Best way is to take the First Hill StreetCar (catch it at International District Link Station/Metro-Soundtransit Hdqtr/Chinatown/AmtrakStation) to Broadway and Pike, then walk down Pike.

I find Starbucks over roast their coffee because most people like lattes and to accommodate the volume and coffee flavor, they have to buy in massive quantities and over roast to get some uniformity to their product. If you want Starbucks coffee, get a poor over. If you get a pour over/drip at the Reserve, insist on aromatic like peaberry pour over. If you don't like it, ask for different coffee. Zeistgeit coffee (165 Jackson, across from Klondike GoldRush NP, 1st Hill Streetcar) is maybe more accommodating in flavor but you must insist on the brew.

Don't waste your time at Starbucks #1, in Pike Place. If you want a coffee the do the Starbucks @ Pike St & 1st Ave, which is at the South entrance of Pike Place. Outside seating. The First Hill Street car ends at the 1st Hill Link Station and 1 block west of Cal Anderson Park, where we had the AntiFa/BLM riots.

From Zeistgeit coffee, towards the water, about 3 doors down, is a chocolate company. They grind their chocolate-very good.

4. If you into a little walking: from Cal Anderson Park or Broadway, walk north to Volunteer Park & Asian Art Museum. From there find a stairway down to the Arboreum.

If you can, rent a Lime-Uber electric bike or scooter. $1/ride. Use the app for bike locations.

If you can ride a bike, you can do Lime-Uber bike tour (mostly flat & slight gradients) from Klondike Gold Rush National Park (at Jackson St/International District/Train Stations to the waterfront to the North Docks, across the rail yards, to Fremont (center of the Universe/Troll/Lenin and catching the Burke-Gilman bike/walking trail. North-west to Ballard Locks and into Puget Sound or East to Gasworks and UW.

UPS Waterfall park is 1 block north of Klondike NP, just past the fire station. Cool place on a warm day.

If you go further north, into Pioneer Square area, you may find the Seattle Underground tour interesting.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-21-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area