Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 12:26 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

While the 1st tune up was 2 weeks ago, well, tomorrow will mark the day that long term hockey fans like me who've lived around here off and on for 31 years will be so grateful for. NHL hockey is in Seattle.
After watching cities like Columbus, Raleigh, Atlanta and even Dallas (only one of those has been a complete bust though) get teams long before Seattle, it's finally here. Seattle has had a lot more hockey history before the NHL came than any of those 4 Cities I mentioned.
1st American City to have a Stanley Cup Winner, Portland in Kraken territory, was the 1st US City to have a team play for it. It's just over 2 hours from Vancouver and Canada and for a while, had the most rinks in a US Metro Area that wasn't in the Northeast or Midwest and didn't have an NHL team.
It's come to Seattle, say at least 45 years late.
In 1976, St Louis came within an eyelash, of moving to Seattle, however, the local potential buyers ran out of funds and that didn't happen.
I recall seeing a pre season game with Gretzky and the Kings vs the Canucks, in 1990 and there were surveys and gauges of interest. 2 years later, the Ackerely's lead a group to attract the NHL to Seattle and put in a formal bid. However, like local fans later learned? It was a "fake" bid. The Ackerley group, who also owned the Sonics too, pulled their money for the bid at the last minute. This was purposely done to turn off the NHL leaders and probably lead to Ottawa getting a team instead.
Then with the Key Arena remodel? That same group and Sonics ownership, purposely made the sight lines so funky, that it was too small for the NHL. Yea it would not have been if push really came to shove but 4 thousand seats would have been obstructed. The Tbunderbirds played in it for almost 13 years (the remodeled version) and eventually moved to the suburbs. I honestly feel that if the Ackerleys didn't do this, the Sonics AND the NHL would have been in Seattle for several years today. It was a dumb and selfish decision.
And then there's Chris Hansen who (while the way he handled the Sacramento situation bit him in the butt) was too short sighted to get his SODO arena deal to include a NHL team. Why did he not agree to that? At least that would have got the building off the ground and then he could have got the Sonics later. That may happen anyway at CPA, but he'll be on the outside looking in with land that he bought that is just sitting there.
The Glendale (AZ) City Council member that was the deciding vote in 2013 to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. If that CC member went the other way? They were moving to Seattle, in fact it was certain enough as a Plan B that The Canucks were told no when they wanted to move their AHL team to Key Arena that year. Instead they played 6 seasons in Utica, NY.
So tomorrow? That will not only be a special day for Seattle Sports History but for sure Hockey fans around here who have seen this area go from 4 or 5 ice sheets around here in the early 90s (from Olympia to Everett) to now 18. I'm sure there's room for at least a couple more. I have a feeling they may more or less suck as far as on the ice performance, but, oh well, look up Connor Bedard and see why that may not be a bad thing.
So finally, GO NHL and GO KRAKEN.
Just hope these insane re sale prices will stop though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:09 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
While the 1st tune up was 2 weeks ago, well, tomorrow will mark the day that long term hockey fans like me who've lived around here off and on for 31 years will be so grateful for. NHL hockey is in Seattle.
After watching cities like Columbus, Raleigh, Atlanta and even Dallas (only one of those has been a complete bust though) get teams long before Seattle, it's finally here. Seattle has had a lot more hockey history before the NHL came than any of those 4 Cities I mentioned.
1st American City to have a Stanley Cup Winner, Portland in Kraken territory, was the 1st US City to have a team play for it. It's just over 2 hours from Vancouver and Canada and for a while, had the most rinks in a US Metro Area that wasn't in the Northeast or Midwest and didn't have an NHL team.
It's come to Seattle, say at least 45 years late.
In 1976, St Louis came within an eyelash, of moving to Seattle, however, the local potential buyers ran out of funds and that didn't happen.
I recall seeing a pre season game with Gretzky and the Kings vs the Canucks, in 1990 and there were surveys and gauges of interest. 2 years later, the Ackerely's lead a group to attract the NHL to Seattle and put in a formal bid. However, like local fans later learned? It was a "fake" bid. The Ackerley group, who also owned the Sonics too, pulled their money for the bid at the last minute. This was purposely done to turn off the NHL leaders and probably lead to Ottawa getting a team instead.
Then with the Key Arena remodel? That same group and Sonics ownership, purposely made the sight lines so funky, that it was too small for the NHL. Yea it would not have been if push really came to shove but 4 thousand seats would have been obstructed. The Tbunderbirds played in it for almost 13 years (the remodeled version) and eventually moved to the suburbs. I honestly feel that if the Ackerleys didn't do this, the Sonics AND the NHL would have been in Seattle for several years today. It was a dumb and selfish decision.
And then there's Chris Hansen who (while the way he handled the Sacramento situation bit him in the butt) was too short sighted to get his SODO arena deal to include a NHL team. Why did he not agree to that? At least that would have got the building off the ground and then he could have got the Sonics later. That may happen anyway at CPA, but he'll be on the outside looking in with land that he bought that is just sitting there.
The Glendale (AZ) City Council member that was the deciding vote in 2013 to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. If that CC member went the other way? They were moving to Seattle, in fact it was certain enough as a Plan B that The Canucks were told no when they wanted to move their AHL team to Key Arena that year. Instead they played 6 seasons in Utica, NY.
So tomorrow? That will not only be a special day for Seattle Sports History but for sure Hockey fans around here who have seen this area go from 4 or 5 ice sheets around here in the early 90s (from Olympia to Everett) to now 18. I'm sure there's room for at least a couple more. I have a feeling they may more or less suck as far as on the ice performance, but, oh well, look up Connor Bedard and see why that may not be a bad thing.
So finally, GO NHL and GO KRAKEN.
Just hope these insane re sale prices will stop though.
Nice hockey post on "Kraken Eve"!

I've seen a prediction or two that the Kraken could possibly contend for a playoff spot this first season....but only because prognosticators feel their division seems so weak? Hopefully Grubauer stays healthy the entire season in goal.

I saw a Thunderbirds game vs.Tacoma at Key Arena during my quick visit to Seattle in 1992. Enthusiastic crowd, if I recall. I'm sure the ambiance will be very good for the Kraken home games!

Yes, those Stubhub prices are crazy, but maybe expected with all of the season tickets sold and a reported waiting list. I've checked all NHL and NBA teams on Stubhub for this upcoming season, and Seattle seems by far the most expensive get in prices (plus fees). At least for get in prices, but probably average prices also.

Vegas prices has been very expensive on the secondary market but seems to have dropped a very small amount this year as some or many teams seem to have experienced on Stubhub...maybe due to the pandemic -- but still near the top in prices; any prediction of a lack of interest there after the first couple of years hasn't happened. Winning obviously has helped. They still sold out their pre-season game last week. No small feat, as most NHL and NBA teams so far this year and past years do not sell out any or all pre-season games. (I think here in Boston that all Bruins and Celtics pre-season games this season have reported sellouts.) I have checked attendance for all NHL and NBA teams this pre-season on ESPN's scores site.

So, congratulations to Seattle hockey fans (and ticket resellers) for their amazing support in buying tix so far!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:34 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Had a weird thought: tapioca pudding, dye it aqua and call it kraken eggs...

*shrug*

Maybe a little blueberry flavoring to go with the vanilla.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:47 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
I just subscribed to NHL TV.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:38 AM

I see the team finally has a mascot.

Meet Buoy the Troll, the first-ever Seattle Kraken mascot

Gender unknown, but it identifies as a kraken. Into octopus shunga, perhaps?

Old 10-03-2022, 02:16 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I see the team finally has a mascot.

Meet Buoy the Troll, the first-ever Seattle Kraken mascot

Gender unknown, but it identifies as a kraken. Into octopus shunga, perhaps?
Sorry, that mascot is just weird. The result of a year of focus groups?

Old 10-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sorry, that mascot is just weird. The result of a year of focus groups?
Weird yes, but maybe some cultural weirdness can be good? In a quirky sort of way.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Cultural weirdness is common in Seattle. However, Portland is even weirder. A common slogan from residents and businesses is Keep Oregon Weird.

The important thing for the Kraken this season is to win more games than the inaugural season. Don’t go backwards.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:45 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Based on hundreds of social media comments, this mascot is not being all that well-received...

Old 10-04-2022, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
They are apparently not interested in building a fan base by getting kids involved, that mascot is downright scary. Supposedly he's the nephew of the Fremont Troll. When I first saw it I thought it must be a Halloween joke,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area