Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 4,863 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this to get some input and maybe help clear up some of my thoughts regarding this.

Here’s a brief background on my family and why we are considering a move from Phoenix to Seattle!

My wife and I , both in our 30s have lived in Arizona now for the better part of our adult life (15 + years). We have recently had a baby and have been craving a change from the desert for the better part of the last 5 years.

Out of all our travel adventures and destinations – we are intrigued with the PNW region and both love what it offers. We have yet to explore more of seattle (we have been there once in summertime) – and plan to go back another one/two times before deciding if this is right move for us. My wife currently has one friend that lives there, and we also have an acquitenance (friend of a sibling) that we know. Outside of that we have no other friends or family in the city (might be a potential concern with child help!).

I have been following the house market currently and although I don’t know the specifics of many neighborhoods and suburbs – it seems like we would need to spend at least 1.5-2MIL to get what we would like in terms of housing (2500 sq ft+ in a great school neighborhood, with 4/5 bedrooms, that doesn’t need too much work). We are totally OK with that as our AZ home has grown to that same ballpark as well (3500 sqft / 5 bdrm home in a gated neighborhood).
I do not, but *can* work from home and my wife does not work currently – so we don’t need to be in close proximity to any location in seattle – but would like to be no more than 30 minutes from downtown seattle. Accessibility to great coffee shops / restaurants / outdoor shopping is a plus. We enjoy hiking, and browsing everything from farmers markets to local stores.

We are planning on checking out more of Seattle either in end of January for 10 days or in July for several weeks. I do want to get a perspective on how Seattle is in the winter (especially in terms of being able to do outdoor activities), but we have both grown very weary of Arizona summers (110+) and the restrictions it puts on outdoor activities as well. I enjoy cooler weather, but not temps below 30s and or too much snow as that tends to get a tad too cool for me (lived in ohio for 15+ years as well).

We loved living in Arizona, and still do – but looking forward to a change – and somewhere where I can potentially envision raising a family that would be closer to some of our routines and values.

What neighborhoods do you suggest we check out , especially if we enjoy walkability (nearby trails, parks, neighborhood walks). Anyone move from Arizona and have any pros / cons to add?

Looking forward to any and all input and hopefully make the PNW home to us for sometime!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 12:51 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Anywhere where you can find a home. Eastside isn't very big in area.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:22 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtrvl11 View Post
I'm posting this to get some input and maybe help clear up some of my thoughts regarding this.

Here’s a brief background on my family and why we are considering a move from Phoenix to Seattle!

My wife and I , both in our 30s have lived in Arizona now for the better part of our adult life (15 + years). We have recently had a baby and have been craving a change from the desert for the better part of the last 5 years.

Out of all our travel adventures and destinations – we are intrigued with the PNW region and both love what it offers. We have yet to explore more of seattle (we have been there once in summertime) – and plan to go back another one/two times before deciding if this is right move for us. My wife currently has one friend that lives there, and we also have an acquitenance (friend of a sibling) that we know. Outside of that we have no other friends or family in the city (might be a potential concern with child help!).

I have been following the house market currently and although I don’t know the specifics of many neighborhoods and suburbs – it seems like we would need to spend at least 1.5-2MIL to get what we would like in terms of housing (2500 sq ft+ in a great school neighborhood, with 4/5 bedrooms, that doesn’t need too much work). We are totally OK with that as our AZ home has grown to that same ballpark as well (3500 sqft / 5 bdrm home in a gated neighborhood).
I do not, but *can* work from home and my wife does not work currently – so we don’t need to be in close proximity to any location in seattle – but would like to be no more than 30 minutes from downtown seattle. Accessibility to great coffee shops / restaurants / outdoor shopping is a plus. We enjoy hiking, and browsing everything from farmers markets to local stores.

We are planning on checking out more of Seattle either in end of January for 10 days or in July for several weeks. I do want to get a perspective on how Seattle is in the winter (especially in terms of being able to do outdoor activities), but we have both grown very weary of Arizona summers (110+) and the restrictions it puts on outdoor activities as well. I enjoy cooler weather, but not temps below 30s and or too much snow as that tends to get a tad too cool for me (lived in ohio for 15+ years as well).

We loved living in Arizona, and still do – but looking forward to a change – and somewhere where I can potentially envision raising a family that would be closer to some of our routines and values.

What neighborhoods do you suggest we check out , especially if we enjoy walkability (nearby trails, parks, neighborhood walks). Anyone move from Arizona and have any pros / cons to add?

Looking forward to any and all input and hopefully make the PNW home to us for sometime!!
Hi Worldtravl, I’m a world traveler too, though a little travel frustrated during these COVID times. I did get car camping trips to Puerto Rico and Iceland in this year, they both felt pretty safe with high vax rates. Did you guys get to travel abroad?

About your potential move, definitely come to Seattle in the winter for a test drive, make sure you like it. I’m Miami born and raised, living in Seattle 32 years. I love it but it’s not for everyone. I think North Seattle might be a good for you. Think Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, Green Lake, Windermere, Wedgwood, Bryant, View Ridge, Ravenna. Good schools, great little cafes, coffee shops, good proximity to University Village (outdoor shopping), easy access to in city parks/hikes like Carkeek and Discovery Park, Burke Gilman bike trail nearby too.

My wife’s father lives in Tucson, I love to visit but feel like I’m inside of a microwave oven I can’t escape after a few days. Around here, it gets cold but not too cold. This snow we are having right now is rare but beautiful. My wife and I bundled up and had a fun snow walk this morning. I guess I’ve grown to love distinct seasons.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-26-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Worldtravl, I’m a world traveler too, though a little travel frustrated during these COVID times. I did get car camping trips to Puerto Rico and Iceland in this year, they both felt pretty safe with high vax rates. Did you guys get to travel abroad?

About your potential move, definitely come to Seattle in the winter for a test drive, make sure you like it. I’m Miami born and raised, living in Seattle 32 years. I love it but it’s not for everyone. I think North Seattle might be a good for you. Think Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, Green Lake, Windermere, Wedgwood, Bryant, View Ridge, Ravenna. Good schools, great little cafes, coffee shops, good proximity to University Village (outdoor shopping), easy access to in city parks/hikes like Carkeek and Discovery Park, Burke Gilman bike trail nearby too.

My wife’s father lives in Tucson, I love to visit but feel like I’m inside of a microwave oven I can’t escape after a few days. Around here, it gets cold but not too cold. This snow we are having right now is rare but beautiful. My wife and I bundled up and had a fun snow walk this morning. I guess I’ve grown to love distinct seasons.
Thanks for the reply! With covid / pregnancy / infant it put some of our travel on hold for a bit! We are excited to plant a base to explore a different part of the country (now we keep going back to same spots from phx which is getting a bit repetitive)

Yes - I have been 'browsing' north seattle and might be what we're looking for. I will take a look at all of your suggestions one by one.

I agree no one place is for 'everyone' and maybe I forgot what 6+ months of gray skies looks like coming out of ohio. I am looking forward to more green spaces and more distinct seasons then what I have now gotten accustomed to. The first few summers in Phoenix were fun for me (young, pool parties, etc) - but seem to be more and more indoor bound now between months of May --> October which is no fun for me. I got to the point that I don't mind bundling up and enjoying an outdoor adventure in 35 degrees at all.

The only major point of contention here left for us in PHX is some close family (wifes sister / parents), and a lot of my close friends. I have no problem making new friends - but worry if loneliness will strike if it's just our family starting off there with not much else.

Looking at real estate in Seattle makes me a bit worried as well - with seeing houses get snatched up for multiple 100K over ask and how easy of a battle that will be to take on. Is that everywhere in Seattle / North Seattle? Luckily the craze has also swarmed much of the Phoenix area as well, so selling for good money should be of no concern where we live.

We don't know if this is a 'forever' move for us or not (trying to be in the mindset of 5 years and then reassess) - but would really love to live a life of no regrets looking back - and a change of environment and scenery has been on our bucket list now for quite some time.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! With covid / pregnancy / infant it put some of our travel on hold for a bit! We are excited to plant a base to explore a different part of the country (now we keep going back to same spots from phx which is getting a bit repetitive)

Yes - I have been 'browsing' north seattle and might be what we're looking for. I will take a look at all of your suggestions one by one.

I agree no one place is for 'everyone' and maybe I forgot what 6+ months of gray skies looks like coming out of ohio. I am looking forward to more green spaces and more distinct seasons then what I have now gotten accustomed to. The first few summers in Phoenix were fun for me (young, pool parties, etc) - but seem to be more and more indoor bound now between months of May --> October which is no fun for me. I got to the point that I don't mind bundling up and enjoying an outdoor adventure in 35 degrees at all.

The only major point of contention here left for us in PHX is some close family (wifes sister / parents), and a lot of my close friends. I have no problem making new friends - but worry if loneliness will strike if it's just our family starting off there with not much else.

Looking at real estate in Seattle makes me a bit worried as well - with seeing houses get snatched up for multiple 100K over ask and how easy of a battle that will be to take on. Is that everywhere in Seattle / North Seattle? Luckily the craze has also swarmed much of the Phoenix area as well, so selling for good money should be of no concern where we live.

We don't know if this is a 'forever' move for us or not (trying to be in the mindset of 5 years and then reassess) - but would really love to live a life of no regrets looking back - and a change of environment and scenery has been on our bucket list now for quite some time.
As you might imagine, depends on the home location, size, condition and the initial list price. Don't let escalating and competition scare you off, that's just how the game is played in West Coast cities right now, and many parts of the country. Good preparation, strategy and focus are important, just remember that there is a winner every bidding war .

Old 12-26-2021, 03:38 PM

240 posts, read 195,208 times
It's good that you are planning to visit Seattle in both January and July, it's a 2 different world. The hardest part for anyone moving to Seattle is the November- February time period, with shortened days, constant drizzle and gray skies. On the other hand July- Sept, it's the time when PNW is unparallel in scenic beauty and long beautiful mild summer days.

As far as house is concerned, you can look into Issaquah, and southern part of Sammamish (e.g. Klahanie area close to I-90). The places have a relatively short 30 min drive to downtown Seattle and 15-20 min to Bellevue downtown. As it's close to the mountains, there are many hiking trails within 15-20 min and it also has a nice walkable shopping area in Issaquah Highlands. School districts are also very good overall. Price will be in the $1.3- $1.6 M range for the type of home you are looking for..

Old 12-26-2021, 03:53 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Simple solution: They visit you in the summer; you visit them in winter! Seafair in Seattle. Thanksgiving or Christmas in Phoenix.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:11 PM

102,184 posts, read 107,790,902 times
If you opt for Seattle, vs. say, Issaquah or Kirkland (both on the east side of Lake Washington), or Edmonds just north of Seattle on Puget Sound, I'd recommend the Victory Heights neighborhood, which is great for kids and has a number of coffee shops and restaurants on 15th Ave. NE and also a few blocks away on Northgate Way. It has a rural feel (no sidewalks, lots of cedar trees), a small park for kids, and a convenient location. RE is a bit more affordable out there.
And north of there is Lake Forest Park, just outside of Seattle city limits. You get more land with your house out there, and many lots have clusters of cedar trees. The town's east side is on Lake Washington. There's a shopping center with a bookstore and the Honeybear Bakery Cafe, a popular hangout. Check out home listings out there, to see how much more bang you get for your buck once you get outside of Seattle's borders.

The two neighborhoods I recommended are less urban, and feel like you're living ensconced in nature (depending on the lot). Driver around, or park your car and get out and stroll around, to get a feel for both areas.

Winter can have cold snaps, but they're temporary. Every few years, there's a serious snowfall, but it's gone within a few days, a week, max. Summers nowadays can have a hot snap or two, be forewarned, with temps pushing 100 degrees, but it's highly unusual for a triple-digit day to happen.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:44 PM

I just took three nuggets the OP shared (coffee shops, local stores and farmers markets) and extrapolated a bit. I think they are looking for a relatively close in, potentially walkable Seattle proper neighborhood, perhaps part of the shift in living style that they are considering. Ruth, I also love Lake Forest Park and Victory Heights, but I didn’t mention as they are farther out and their school scores don’t quite stack up with those other North Seattle locations.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I just took three nuggets the OP shared (coffee shops, local stores and farmers markets) and extrapolated a bit. I think they are looking for a relatively close in, potentially walkable Seattle proper neighborhood, perhaps part of the shift in living style that they are considering. Ruth, I also love Lake Forest Park and Victory Heights, but I didn’t mention as they are farther out and their school scores don’t quite stack up with those other North Seattle locations.
We wouldn't mind being out of the seattle proper either - being less urban but more surrounded by nature with more land (and maybe cheaper because further out!)! If there is a part of seattle that fits that bill all the better!

I took a brief look around edmonds and issaquah and liked what I saw in both - would have to investigate more in person. Edmonds seems to be very reasonably priced compared to other parts of seattle.

This house as a 'house' checks off a lot of boxes, but don't know about the neighborhood or walkability

https://www.zillow.com/homes/5801-13...8597431_zpid/?

or something like this has a very high walk score and a great home - and has restaurants / coffee shops a stone throw away!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...38456929_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area