Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 03:08 AM

86 posts, read 72,315 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Recently couple of packages got stolen from our front porch (one from Walmart and one from Amazon). Amazon showed the package was delivered and it also shows a pic of the package that was left in front of the door. However, when I returned home, the packages were missing. We knew they were stolen as a few other items were also gone - couple of planters, pair of sneakers, and a door mat (who on earth would steal a used door mat?).

What do people do when their packages get stolen? Can we file a report with police for items that cost a few of hundred dollars? I am not much worried about sneakers or planters but the items from Walmart and Amazon adds up close to $400.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 06:59 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
Hello,

Recently couple of packages got stolen from our front porch (one from Walmart and one from Amazon). Amazon showed the package was delivered and it also shows a pic of the package that was left in front of the door. However, when I returned home, the packages were missing. We knew they were stolen as a few other items were also gone - couple of planters, pair of sneakers, and a door mat (who on earth would steal a used door mat?).

What do people do when their packages get stolen? Can we file a report with police for items that cost a few of hundred dollars? I am not much worried about sneakers or planters but the items from Walmart and Amazon adds up close to $400.

Thanks.
Hi Page. So frustrating, here are some ideas for you: https://www.valuepenguin.com/home-in...olen-your-door

Old 05-31-2022, 07:27 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
I haven’t had this happen to me “knock on wood”.
We constantly buy items online and one thing we did a few years ago was to install a “Ring Doorbell” camera system.
I think a system like this is cheap at twice the price.
Let’s me know when an important/expensive item has arrived or if a family member has safety made it home.

These thieves went crazy with easy pickens during the pandemic and the holidays.
These people can hurt you.
The fact that a thief came to a house and stole something is rather scary and alarming.
I don’t wish that on anyone.
This should be considered burglary and properly dealt with imo.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Depending on your neighborhood and frequency of package deliveries, you may also want to check out a package delivery lock box for your porch.

Just google "porch box"

Old 05-31-2022, 11:20 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Put a Beware of Rottweiler sign on your front porch.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I'm expecting a rather expensive item to be delivered today, so I changed my office work day to home so I could be here when it arrives. USPS likes to leave small packages in the mailbox and I have an alarm on that which rings inside when opened.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:44 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
When I worked in an office I had all my deliveries go to my work address.
Now that I work from home I use an Amazon locker nearby.
Package theft is rampant and in my experience, the delivery drivers will not knock or ring the bell 90% of the time.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:22 PM

86 posts, read 72,315 times
Thank you all. Unfortunately I can't have my deliveries addressed to my work place. I think I will have to install security cameras. Even with cameras, what can I do if theft happens? I see so many videos on neighbors app where people are stealing even with cameras.

Added to that, Walmart is horrible at their deliveries. They usually leave the package right on the driveway in front of the garage door, despite multiple requests to bring it to the porch and leave packages in shade.

It looks like the best option now is to have packages delivered to a lockbox. Thanks for all your inputs.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 714,168 times
If you have a side or back door, put up a sign asking for deliveries to be made there. Once you have a police report, you could perhaps file through Renter’s or homeowners insurance but it would need to be more than your deductible, I am guessing, to be worthwhile. And I don’t know how it would affect your rates.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagetrip29 View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
Sorry this happened to you. Like all said. Stolen Packages is up all around the country.
File the report because get on record. I was going to say get a package box like mentioned, but that may not work because the locker has to be locked after delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area