Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 12,143 times

Advertisements

I recently overheard someone discussing their job in Seattle as this, yet I didn't catch what they did. What kind of careers and employers offer such wages for remote work with no degree or coding required? Or even $60k+ instead of $100k+?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 03:53 PM

609 posts, read 303,289 times
This is a terrible place to ask. Whatever it is, it is probably not unique to Seattle.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:24 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
It's hard for me to think of any remote job that is not going to be completely computer dependent. However, try asking on the employment forum here on C-D. Maybe someone there knows.

It's also hard to imagine any job that pays really well to people who aren't qualified to do anything special. Not necessarily have a degree, but would have to have some sort of specialized skills. Like a really top salesman might be able to do a lot of work on the computer and phone doing sales. The really good salesmen have special skills that are well paid. Usually that is a face to face job (but that counts as out of the office), but there might be some fields where sales can be done on line and not in person.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:52 PM

808 posts, read 541,858 times
Default Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDerVat View Post
I recently overheard someone discussing their job in Seattle as this, yet I didn't catch what they did. What kind of careers and employers offer such wages for remote work with no degree or coding required? Or even $60k+ instead of $100k+?

Probably sales. And you would need a "golden rolodex" - old-school-speak for good contact list of potential customers and network.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:52 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Probably sales. And you would need a "golden rolodex" - old-school-speak for good contact list of potential customers and network.
A consulting practice lead in IT is one such role, yes. To the quoted, the requirement is to walk into the role with a book of business preferably. An ironclad list of in-depth business contacts in the industry at-minimum, in addition to a history of results closing new business. Thus by-definition requires a senior level person who's been-there/done-that for c. 15+ years. Or longer. And gotten results impressive to others vs. some IT fleeb / human mole who does the job and leaves at 5:01pm every day.

There are many roles on that spectrum in addition to practice lead, latter requiring the rare combination of at least moderate technical competency plus deep experience in sales cycles (funnel, lead generation, closing, running a managed service, etc.)

They pay a heckuva lot more than $100K if you're good, as they usually get a cut of the business depending how deeply they're involved in the hunt and close. Close a major managed services engagement of say 3 years and $5M in billed revenue, s/he gets a cut that isn't insubstantial.

Further on the sales side: true account execs are all about the hunt and bagging the quarry. Again in IT requires moderate technical depth and ability to be voice of the customer. I've noticed they're usually around any given firm a few years then move on. There are exceptions for the bigger players and name brands like Slalom, PWC, Accenture, Avanade, etc. Also Microsoft. No idea how or even if Amazon and Google handle the above.

I think this veers a bit away from OP's open-ended question. The truth is most sales of high buck products pay well, and that's a certain very specific set of skills. Friend of mine is a sourcer for a growing IT consultancy based on Portland, she make good coin by closing candidates (sourcing them; I call her "the Sourceress" and requires her to mine all sorts of resources including social media). Their entire capital is about people, and she finds the right people for the right roles. That too is a related skillset to pure sales...

Old 08-08-2022, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Most jobs paying that much, remote or otherwise are going to require a degree. I do know a few people that fit that description however:

Commercial property managers
Real estate agent
Car sales (before the current shortage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area