Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 09:51 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://people.com/health/seattle-vo...ders-patients/

"Seattle, Washington is becoming a safe haven for abortion providers and those seeking abortion services.

On Tuesday, the Seattle City Council unanimously passed a bill prohibiting city police from arresting people on warrants issued in other states or assisting in investigations from other states related to abortion bans.

The legislation comes a month after Washington Gov. Jay Inslee issued a joint "multi-state commitment" with California and Oregon to defend medical professionals and patients who are being pursued by authorities in states that have abortion bans. Abortion is legal in all three Democratic states.

"The law remains unchanged in Washington state, but the threat to patient access and privacy has never been more dangerous. Even in Washington state, Republicans have introduced about 40 bills in the past six years to roll back abortion rights and access to reproductive care," Inslee said at the time. "The right of choice should not depend on which party holds the majority, but that's where we find ourselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 02:13 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Nothing but a diversion from the real problems Seattle is facing today. Abortions in any Blur or even Purple States was never threatened by this ruling. The SCOTUS did the right thing and returned this issue to the States and their voters. If you look at the U.S. Constitution/The Bill of Rights, there is nothing stating that abortions is a protected right.

If Seattle’s clowncil could focus some of their energy on the real problems like crime and the homeless issues within the city, the QoL would improve greatly and maybe, just maybe, people wouldn’t be beaten and thrown down several flights of stairs or shot in the face when answering their front door.

Most Americans are OK with abortions, but the issues BECOMES an issue with late term abortions, which includes right up to the moment of delivery. Some will even argue even AFTER delivery. I, as an individual, have an issue with Planned Parenthood selling the body parts of the aborted babies to the highest bidders for profit.

I guess Seattle will vote to fully fund the abortions for people living in States that restrict abortions next, while more and more businesses are forced to close up due to out of control crime.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:34 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
More political experiments for Seattle, I see. Well I hope it works out better than the 'poverty defense' experiment.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:36 AM

1,369 posts, read 714,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Nothing but a diversion from the real problems Seattle is facing today. Abortions in any Blur or even Purple States was never threatened by this ruling. The SCOTUS did the right thing and returned this issue to the States and their voters. If you look at the U.S. Constitution/The Bill of Rights, there is nothing stating that abortions is a protected right.

If Seattle’s clowncil could focus some of their energy on the real problems like crime and the homeless issues within the city, the QoL would improve greatly and maybe, just maybe, people wouldn’t be beaten and thrown down several flights of stairs or shot in the face when answering their front door.

Most Americans are OK with abortions, but the issues BECOMES an issue with late term abortions, which includes right up to the moment of delivery. Some will even argue even AFTER delivery. I, as an individual, have an issue with Planned Parenthood selling the body parts of the aborted babies to the highest bidders for profit.

I guess Seattle will vote to fully fund the abortions for people living in States that restrict abortions next, while more and more businesses are forced to close up due to out of control crime.
The usual falsehoods in this post. PP doesn’t ‘sell body parts to the highest bidders’, they assist the medical community in life saving research and cover their costs in the process. It’s a noble and good thing to do, and we all benefit from it.

Late term abortions aren’t done because people want them, it’s because something has gone horribly wrong and the doctor advises that health outcomes will be best if, sadly, the pregnancy is terminated. It’s often to save the woman or because the fetus has a major defect that would cause it to be stillborn or have some kind of catastrophic, nonviable defect.

I am glad our city and state continue to help people who are oppressed by the incompetent right wing governments in our neighborhood. We stepped up to help the people suffering from an incompetent right wing response to Covid and saved many lives that they would not. And we are now stepping up to help people oppressed by right wing fake morality… cutting health services, arguing against support for pregnant women, reducing mental health care, preventing sex education, preventing health care from covering contraception…all actions that lead to more suffering and death, all while claiming to care about life. They have openly stated that they are coming after LGBTQ rights next. Nothing to do with caring for life, everything to do with hypocritical morality.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:54 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Seattle's a strange one to declare itself a "sanctuary city" for abortions. There was a time in the 80's/90's, when the anti-abortion protests were happening all over the US, that hospitals in Seattle stopped offering abortions altogether. The doctors performing the procedures were too afraid for their own safety, and the hospitals didn't want the hassle. Women had to seek out the rare clinics in the suburbs that provided that service. Hopefully, in the 21st Century, the situation has improved, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:17 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
The SCOTUS did the right thing and returned this issue to the States and their voters. If you look at the U.S. Constitution/The Bill of Rights, there is nothing stating that abortions is a protected right.
And the right to force raped teenage girls to carry pregnancies and give birth against their will, because you're a horridly evil Christian theocrat and you happen have a slim majority of like-minded misogynist support in your state to pass such a law- I guess that's protected in the Constitution/Bill of Rights?

The right to personal privacy is certainly a protected concept in there. Or so we all thought, I guess. Oh well.

Anyway, I may live in Washington now, where sanity and rationality is in the majority- but even with a good job, I can barely afford to live here. I lived most of my life in Georgia, where they are heavily curtailing people's rights to reproductive care, and that seems to be their whole political priority and focus there and in many other states right now, thanks to this SCOTUS rocking the previously stable boat, out of nowhere.

Point being, lots of people can't afford to travel to the blue states, let alone live in one. It's an absolute tyranny of unlimited democracy (something the founders hated), that 51% of the population of Louisiana for example, can vote in extremist Republicans to ban abortion rights, which almost as many people in the state support and want protected. It's absurd that if you don't like abortion, you can tell a stranger who lives across the state from you, hundreds of miles away, that they're not allowed to get one. Forcing them into a very difficult situation. Roe at least protected against that type of blatant tyranny. But I guess you're cool with people and children suffering.

Quote:
I agree with this, but they should easily be able to focus on that, and also do something like this.

Quote:
Again, those topics aren't linked, and, yeah, that first part would be great. Abortions for all. We need fewer new mouths to feed, especially if they're unwanted in the first place. New people should only be brought into the world by stable parents, who want children and are prepared to have them and love them and provide for them. Not brought into the world because of lack of a woman's options. If you want to link the crime issue here, I could make a logical case that opposition to abortion ultimately leads to said crime.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I get that. I lived in Tennessee until I was 24, and never, ever want to go back to one of those idiot states that uses more money and political capitol in posturing and showmanship than in ever actually improving the lives of its citizens.

My main concern is of course the women who this impacts. Another big concern is for abortion providers. What happens to a doctor who has provided access to safe and legal abortions in WA state, if they need to move to (for example) Kentucky, to take care of family or for a partner's job or a plethora of other (private, individual) reasons? Will they be refused a medical license in Kentucky? Can they be?

Lots of weird questions here, and the actual takeaway is that Republicans are hellbent on truly infringing on people's rights.

In the meantime, I'm proud to live in a state and city that see that personal freedoms don't look like taking away the rights of people.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:24 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Yeah, major differences in state laws are definitely creating a lot of weird grey areas and unknowns and difficult situations right now. On the topics of abortion, guns, and cannabis all come to mind. Gay marriage would be a major one of those too, if not had been for the SCOTUS ruling on that, which, at least some of the current sitting SCOTUS members openly want to overturn.

I get that there's gonna be some differences in the laws of different states, but, it's like, are we one country, or not? There's no checkpoint at the border of Blue America and Red America, but it seems like there almost could be.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:45 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
That would certainly make things easier, but unfortunately we have red areas and blue areas in a checkerboard pattern all over the country...

Old 07-28-2022, 11:46 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Quote:
Nothing but a diversion from the real problems Seattle is facing today. Abortions in any Blur or even Purple States was never threatened by this ruling.
Republicans in congress quickly flipped from "states rights" to aiming for a nationwide ban, so pre-emptive measures make sense on top of states trying to exert themselves outside of their own borders.

The party of smaller government is showing how big they really want the government to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area