Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 03:06 AM

27 posts, read 43,788 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so Inslee's Emergency is expiring Oct 31, does anyone know how that will affect vaccine mandates for state employees? I just got a job offer at UW and they asked if I am vaccinated or would be applying for exemption. I don't know whether to respond that I will request exemption or that I will wait until 10/31 when the mandate no longer applies. I see there is an executive order that makes vaccination mandatory permanently for employees of state cabinet and state agencies. But it seems as if that will not apply to UW. Can someone who understand this better please explain to me if I am interpreting it correctly that after 10/31, UW new hires will no longer need mandatory vaccination or exemption? Thanks.

PS. Please don't make judgments about being anti-vax etc. I have very strong reasons for being unable to take the vax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
It's still on their website, updated 1/20/2022, but why not just ask them? Call HR anonymously.

https://hr.uw.edu/returntowork/onsit...of-employment/

In the announcement ending the crisis "employers will continue to be able to require them if they choose. Inslee has already announced that COVID-19 vaccination will remain a condition of employment for most Washington state agencies."

Old 10-18-2022, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 43,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's still on their website, updated 1/20/2022, but why not just ask them? Call HR anonymously.

https://hr.uw.edu/returntowork/onsit...of-employment/

In the announcement ending the crisis "employers will continue to be able to require them if they choose. Inslee has already announced that COVID-19 vaccination will remain a condition of employment for most Washington state agencies."
Thanks Hemlock, I tried calling the HR number yesterday but there was no answer. So far I do not see that UW is independently mandating it, but requiring it as part of the governor's emergency declaration, which as I said, falls away in under two weeks. That's why could use some advice from anyone on how to approach the offer. It is way more generous than I expected and I am prepared to just wait out until 11/1 if it means that I can avoid applying for an exemption which seems a really long, complex, tedious process.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:56 PM
Status: "Thirty-two Ragnars, Two Marathons" (set 3 days ago)

319 posts, read 259,446 times
I am a teacher and a lot of people got exemptions in my district. Looked pretty easy to me.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:45 PM

176 posts, read 137,996 times
Have you started the job yet? I'm surprised they asked you about vaccination already. I don't understand how they can ask you that yet. I would worry that all of a sudden you wouldn't get the job. I feel your pain. During the Family Weekend event recently, parents were not permitted in some parts of UW (eg IMA) if they were not vaccinated. It is really awful how people (students, parents, instructors) are stigmatized and insulted at UW if they did not get the vaccine. Vaccination status is supposed to be private, but the reality of that policy is different.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:46 PM

176 posts, read 137,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
I am a teacher and a lot of people got exemptions in my district. Looked pretty easy to me.
Are you in a university or K-12?

Old 10-18-2022, 02:33 PM

1,369 posts, read 719,709 times
Universities and importantly colleges across the country have led the charge against Covid because their students are particularly prone to spreading the virus since they live in institutional settings.
The institutions that have been most rigorous about masking, vaccination, social distancing, and open reporting about caseloads, have been much much safer than the ones that have not. And UW has some of the best scientists in the country so they are policy drivers more than followers.

My experience of UW has been that they take the virus seriously, and take responsible actions to help slow the spread. I imagine that anyone who was to join and whose unvaccinated status was known, would have a hard time fitting in, *unless it was a medical exemption*.
However, I would assume that knowledge of your vaccination status would be restricted to you and HR.
Regarding fitting in, this depends upon the level of position. For a blue-collar position, I imagine that it would not be much of an issue. For a staff or teaching position, I think it would be more of an issue.
My advice would be to see if you can delay your response to past the deadline, but be ready with a plan in case UW keeps the vaccine requirement (which I would bet they will, but maybe staff shortages will change that outcome).

Old 10-18-2022, 02:52 PM

187 posts, read 68,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Universities and importantly colleges across the country have led the charge against Covid because their students are particularly prone to spreading the virus since they live in institutional settings.
The institutions that have been most rigorous about masking, vaccination, social distancing, and open reporting about caseloads, have been much much safer than the ones that have not. And UW has some of the best scientists in the country so they are policy drivers more than followers.

My experience of UW has been that they take the virus seriously, and take responsible actions to help slow the spread. I imagine that anyone who was to join and whose unvaccinated status was known, would have a hard time fitting in, *unless it was a medical exemption*.
However, I would assume that knowledge of your vaccination status would be restricted to you and HR.
Regarding fitting in, this depends upon the level of position. For a blue-collar position, I imagine that it would not be much of an issue. For a staff or teaching position, I think it would be more of an issue.
My advice would be to see if you can delay your response to past the deadline, but be ready with a plan in case UW keeps the vaccine requirement (which I would bet they will, but maybe staff shortages will change that outcome).

Good response, many people would not want to help a fellow citizen if they were on the other side of this issue. You are probably a really decent human being, and I say this knowing that we are probably on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:25 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,269,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armiva View Post
Hi all, so Inslee's Emergency is expiring Oct 31, does anyone know how that will affect vaccine mandates for state employees? I just got a job offer at UW and they asked if I am vaccinated or would be applying for exemption. I don't know whether to respond that I will request exemption or that I will wait until 10/31 when the mandate no longer applies. I see there is an executive order that makes vaccination mandatory permanently for employees of state cabinet and state agencies. But it seems as if that will not apply to UW. Can someone who understand this better please explain to me if I am interpreting it correctly that after 10/31, UW new hires will no longer need mandatory vaccination or exemption? Thanks.

PS. Please don't make judgments about being anti-vax etc. I have very strong reasons for being unable to take the vax.
It might be a condition for employment? If I am reading what you posted. Is what I am thinking. You might have to apply for exemption or not get the Job, either way not sure. Are others are applying for the same position? HR will probably will not give out that information.
Do you know if any other people working at UW now have Exemptions?
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:29 PM
Status: "Thirty-two Ragnars, Two Marathons" (set 3 days ago)

319 posts, read 259,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrews12 View Post
are you in a university or k-12?
k-12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area