Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 08:22 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,924,786 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately recently when I was in capital hill and ballard I keep seeing broken windows of bussiness and graffiti and trash and homeless everywhere.

In Lynnwood and Bellevue you don't see homeless or tons of broken windows or graffiti.

My girlfriend who lives in magnolia seattle doesn't want me to go to pikes place anymore because she thinks it's unsafe.

I was in capital hill a week ago for a meeting a couldn't believe what Broadway near olive looks like these days.

Another friend of mine who lives near university village won't go to ballard or capital hill for safety reasons.

Also the aurora Ave corridor seems unsafe. A week ago I was shopping at sprouts on 130th and aurora and during daylight hours there were some crazy homeless people arguing with the sprouts security guard.

My girlfriend who lives in magnolia seattle told me the taco time on Elliott way parking lot is full of bums and taco time has been robbed multiple times at the interbay location.

Does bellevue, Kirkland and Lynnwood have problems like seattle has??

In July 2024 when my apartment lease expires in northgate seattle I'm seriously considering moving to Lynnwood,bellevue or Kirkland. Even if my rent is several hundred dollars more a month in Lynnwood,Kirkland or bellevue it may be worth it for my safety.

In July 2015 when I first moved to seattle I felt much much safer than I do know. Is it me or has seattle changed since July 2015??

If I go out to dinner at night with friends I will drive to bellevue sqaure or alderwood mall in Lynnwood. In Lynnwood and bellevue they also offer free safe parking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 08:58 PM

15,825 posts, read 6,534,658 times
At least according to this site, there are plenty of crime hot spots on the eastside.

The Safest and Most Dangerous Places in King County, WA: Crime Maps and Statistics (crimegrade.org)

South of I-90 and east of Lake Sammamish appear to be safer locations (at the moment).

Old 12-07-2023, 10:01 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
You're going to the wrong part of Ballard. I've stayed in Ballard a couple of times, fo weeks each time, walked around to parks, to commercial areas, to coffee hangouts, to the farmer's market, and didn't see any homeless, and had a great time. I've also been to Pike Place market, and had no problem, nor did I see any homeless people. Lynnwood is fine as long as you avoid parts of Aurora, but during the day, Aurora in Lynnwood is fine. There are forested parks and wetlands parks all around 200th St. SW and 196th SW just a couple of blocks off of Aurora in Lynnwood.

However, rents will be going up as the light rail station is completed and development around it happens. It will become harder to find an apt. in a building that isn't owned by a national corporation that uses tenants' rents to pay dividends to their investors, raising the rents around 8% annually. Maybe if you looked farther out, around Mukilteo, say, you'd have better luck finding a place with stable rent. The cheaper rents in Bellevue are east of downtown. Try Redmond maybe.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:51 AM

1,824 posts, read 799,349 times
Why don't you just move over by your girlfriend in Magnolia? I'm not real knowledgeable about Seattle 'hoods, but my cousin's rich daughter bought a house there, so I'm guessing it's nice.

Or, go out in the 'burbs to Issaquah, it's beautiful there, seems very clean & safe, a little pricey but seems to have lots of eating/ shopping options.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
For those reading NextDoor in the eastside cities the crime is clearly more than 3-4 years ago. Here in Sammamish it's still mostly mail theft and porch pirates, but people here used to leave doors unlocked without worry. With no big box stores and very little commercial we don't get the stolen car window ram break-in robberies or personal robbery attacks like they are starting to get now in Issaquah, Redmond and Kirkland. Still, the eastside is far safer from crime than Seattle.

May 2023 in Issaquah:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/police-in...B74ODRFICAAHE/

2 days ago in Bellevue

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/two...H2JMP57CRZPNI/

Old 12-08-2023, 11:13 AM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
If you're uncomfortable with the activity on the streets in Capitol Hill or Interbay, then yes, you should move somewhere that you feel safe.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,397 times
Parts of Lynnwood can be quite sketchy and have a history of sketchiness. Other parts are tame and suburban.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:06 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,295,169 times
Lynnwood seems the better fit for you, based on the budget you’ve previously shared with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area