Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
I think every day, month and year someone argues that the crappy weather we have is not normal. I hear that it's not normal so much that I truly can't recall what normal is I guess. All I know is that I've lived here for quite some time and normal pretty much seems to be "generally crappy with a slight chance of surprising niceness".
I think that by any definition of normal or crappy weather that the past couple of weeks have been exceptionally strange.

Since records have been kept we have never had a June like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I think that by any definition of normal or crappy weather that the past couple of weeks have been exceptionally strange.

Since records have been kept we have never had a June like this...
Bah humbug!

It's fine for longtimers like you to say such things. I've been here since March the 18th and it's been like this since I got here!

So naturally I think that it is 45F and raining here year round....and you'd like me to believe this is abnormal.....hmmm

If this is global warming Seattle is getting the cold wet part of it.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I thought that Sunday was gorgeous. What a nice surprise! People are telling me that most years, days like Sunday are more normal for June. Maybe some clouds, but quite a bit of sun. We were out doing yard work until 9:30 pm. Light jacket, no sweating like crazy, good stuff.

My husband doesn't like the gray. This June Gloom stuff bugs him -- flat gray is not his thing. Saturday we drove over the Cascades to the Columbia river. Just a little bit past Snoqualmie Pass the skies opened up and it was pure sunshine! It was too windy out that way to do any real walking around with our one-year-old that hates wind, but just spending the day in the sun helped him out quite a bit. And the drive was amazing! I can't believe that one minute it's foggy and there's trees everywhere.. the next it's getting sunny.... then it's full sun... then there's no trees in sight, it looks like New Mexico! Crazy! Pretty too, but different. The river was amazing. Went down into Wanapum dam, saw the fish ladders (but no fish!) and through the parking lot of a center at Gingko State Park. Wish we could have gone walking, but the wind... oh well. Out of time anyway.

Anyway, the sun really helped him out. It was a total whim -- we were just out driving while the kiddo napped and decided to just keep going. Wow!

Amazing to live near so many different climates and landscapes.
One of these days you may want to check out the Banks Lake - Grand Coulee Dam area over in Eastern Washington. Take I-90 then head north to Ephrata, and up the coulee past Soap Lake, Dry Falls (once had a flow that was 50 times that of Niagara Falls), Banks Lake and on to the Dam. Beyond Soap Lake it gets VERY scenic with a distinct SW Mesa kind of feel. Also, the Grand Coulee Dam is VERY impressive.

A great area. For years, we spent our summer vacations swimming in the warm (in late summer), calm, shallow, sandy-bottomed waters of Steamboat Rock State Park on Banks Lake.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Looks like it will be raining for the first half of June-steamboatrock.jpg  

Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
the forecast says partly cloudy, which means 30-60 % clouds and this means sunny. Mostly cloudy means sun breaks
The problem with forecasts here in Seattle during years such as this one is that they always tend to follow the same pattern: When it's predicting 5 days out it will call for 68 and sunny, then when it's 3 days out that will change to 63 and partly cloudy, then when two days our it's 60 and a few sun breaks, and when it finally arrives it's 55 and totally overcast (or MAYBE the sun FINALLY burns through at 5-6 PM - at which point it's too late to warm up much.

I've seen this type of pattern many many times. "Partly Cloudy" around here usually ends up translating into "Mostly Cloudy" or just plain "Overcast".

Ken

Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Bah humbug!

It's fine for longtimers like you to say such things. I've been here since March the 18th and it's been like this since I got here!

So naturally I think that it is 45F and raining here year round....and you'd like me to believe this is abnormal.....hmmm

Did you read the article...? This has never hasn't happened before...it is highly abnormal.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Bah humbug!

Look at the historic high/lows, we are 15-20 degrees cooler than average right now. May was actually pretty nice, we had a couple of days in the 80's and 90's...do you forget that quickly?!

Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 PM

355 posts, read 990,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Look at the historic high/lows, we are 15-20 degrees cooler than average right now. May was actually pretty nice, we had a couple of days in the 80's and 90's...do you forget that quickly?!
I certainly didn't forget. But that is what is making it so difficult to ride this out. And I have been known to take trips to the other side for some sun.

Looks like my vacations this year will be when the weather is nice here......I'll have to plan better next year.....that is if I'm still living in Seattle.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
There is a 40 degree difference from Sac and Seattle today

Our realtor is coming to the house at 5 pm tonight - crossing our fingers it won't be long now

Old 06-09-2008, 04:27 PM

This site is pretty useful and interesting:

Seattle Climate Data - Monthly Summary

Note that you can choose any month back through 1998 and see the weather daily weather info, but more importantly, interesting verbage about how that particular month stacked up to the average for that time of year.

Ken

Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
There is a 40 degree difference from Sac and Seattle today

Our realtor is coming to the house at 5 pm tonight - crossing our fingers it won't be long now

Yeah, I can relate.
94 and sunny on my land in SE Arizona right now.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area