Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times

Advertisements

How many of you have some favorite Seattle landmarks, stores...restaurants, movie theaters, etc that are no longer?

One of my childhood memories involves going to Chinatown, (or the International District as it is more commonly called today), and being fascinated with a few of the stores that had been there for generations and generations.

My father is a retired Seattle police officer and for years his beat was in Chinatown so he got to know a lot of the neighborhood store owners, etc and I remember many Saturday afternoons my father would take us down to there for lunch. After lunch one of the stops was the old Higo Variety Store.

Many years later as an adult I would still visit the store on occasion and the owner of the store still remembered who I was…

Seattletimes.com: Old store yielding treasures from the past

Anybody else have any memories of a vanishing Seattle...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 01:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Besides so much vanishing grass and trees -- MIKADO RESTAURANT near King St. Station!!!!!! Best Japanese restaurant in the U.S.!!!! It closed about 8 years ago, and I am still sad....

Walking through their door was exactly like walking back into Japan, either a city or furusato, where I felt at home because most of the staff spoke no English so our conversations and behavior were entirely Japanese, and the food was exactly as it had been in mom n pop shops back in Japan. ACCHHH I miss it!!!

Okay, that rant felt wonderful! Thank you , seattlerain!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
I miss Freddie's.... the big one, downtown. I always liked them better than The Bon.

Okay, I also miss The Bon...

Thank you for your story, seattlerain! I loved reading it!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Twin Teepees! Andy's Diner on Broadway! Ernie Steele's, also on Broadway. The Cause Celebre on 15th Avenue East. Tommy's Joint in Fremont. The Roxy Theatre in Renton. The Coliseum Theatre in Seattle. The Ben Paris downtown Seattle. i could go on and on and on being an old codger recalling the good old places.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Besides so much vanishing grass and trees -- MIKADO RESTAURANT near King St. Station!!!!!! Best Japanese restaurant in the U.S.!!!! It closed about 8 years ago, and I am still sad....

Walking through their door was exactly like walking back into Japan, either a city or furusato, where I felt at home because most of the staff spoke no English so our conversations and behavior were entirely Japanese, and the food was exactly as it had been in mom n pop shops back in Japan. ACCHHH I miss it!!!

Okay, that rant felt wonderful! Thank you , seattlerain!
You're welcome, glad it brought back some good memories for you!

I remember Mikado too, wonderful food and always a nice experience!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I miss Freddie's.... the big one, downtown. I always liked them better than The Bon.

Okay, I also miss The Bon...

Thank you for your story, seattlerain! I loved reading it!
Oh yes, Freddies and The Bon! When I was a kid we had a Christmas time tradition where my mother would dress us up in our "Sunday Best" and we would get on the bus and spend the day downtown. Freddies was always our first stop, and then it was over to The Bon.

Later she would take us to lunch at the old Woolworth's lunch counter. I didn't find out until years later that when she went downtown with her friends they went ate at the restaurant in Frederick & Nelson... I imagine that in those days places like that were not exactly "kid friendly".

Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Chubby and Tubby on Rainier Ave. I used to get converse all-stars there when I a child.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Twin Teepees! Andy's Diner on Broadway! Ernie Steele's, also on Broadway. The Cause Celebre on 15th Avenue East. Tommy's Joint in Fremont. The Roxy Theatre in Renton. The Coliseum Theatre in Seattle. The Ben Paris downtown Seattle. i could go on and on and on being an old codger recalling the good old places.
Ernie Steele's was a riot, Andy's Diner was quite the place too!

Maybe this goes back too far, but I still miss the old Sears down on 1st Ave. Years ago that whole building was Sears , it was the largest Sears west of Chicago...

How about the Iron Horse Restaurant in Pioneer Square...the Breadline Restaurant in Pioneer Square, the old Shorey's Bookstore, Broadway Theater up on Broadway when it was still a theater...I could go on and on too...

Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Chubby and Tubby on Rainier Ave. I used to get converse all-stars there when I a child.
We used to shop at the Chubby and Tubby near Greenlake quite often!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Hills Brothers BBQ on East Cherry Street, more commonly known as Dirty Brothers BBQ...The place was pink, almost octagonal shaped, and had the best peach cobbler in the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area