Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,565,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I agree with Xanathos ... can you name a better place for summer?
The entire northern and central California coast for starters. No extreme heat, no humidity, plenty of sunshine, the summer weather pattern extend for 6 months+ instead of 3. You people really need to get out more. The lack of knowledge about the rest of the country demonstrated in this thread is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
The entire northern and central California coast for starters. No extreme heat, no humidity, plenty of sunshine, the summer weather pattern extend for 6 months+ instead of 3. You people really need to get out more. The lack of knowledge about the rest of the country demonstrated in this thread is sad.

Summer, by definition, lasts for 3 months. There are 4 seasons. There are 12 months. This is remedial math.

Furthermore, I would take Seattle's summer's over Northern Cali any day of the week. It has too much chance of being chilly, too much chance of being foggy, and even though it's 50 degrees and overcast in mid July, you end up with a sunburn.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,754 times
May be a little away from the coast, up in the coastal ranges, because right on the coast it can be very foggy and wet in summer, and lots of dew in the morning.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The 5 Best:

3) All the tech companies and the great wages they bring with them...
--they will eventually bring destruction of the area, turning in into Bay area, driving residents out and replacing them

Quote:
the widespread diversity
--the place had stricken me as more of a mono-culture

Quote:
The 5 huge gripes:

1) Activist not-living-in-the-real-world-mindset. They are into those stupid macrobiotic vegan gluten free lifestyles and only sleep on organic beds or some other ridiculous nonsense, or who are so cocksure the best way to do things is to force someone else to be like them.
--why is it a ridiculous non-sense? Those who live organic lifestyle look much younger and better/age slower and stay healthier than those who don't. This 1) "con" is actually one reason to love PNW. Less idiocy.

Quote:
2) Left lane campers. It's usually a Subaru or a Prius, but there's always some passive aggressive jackass in the left lane doing 54 in a 60, who thinks its their right or duty to regulate everybody else's driving patterns.
--thanks heaven these people exist. More of them need to be in CA as well

Quote:
5) Traffic is a nightmare due to a provincial mindset (yes, and as a result of the lane campers mentioned in point
--try LA

Quote:
Honorable mention to the dating scene for single guys
--means good dating scene for single girls

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-11-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,565,036 times
Quote:
Summer, by definition, lasts for 3 months. There are 4 seasons. There are 12 months. This is remedial math.
Well whether your remedial thinking likes it or not, the California coast sees summer weather more than 6 months a year. But I'm sure you enjoy being stuck indoors most of the year so its no skin off your back.
Quote:
Furthermore, I would take Seattle's summer's over Northern Cali any day of the week. It has too much chance of being chilly, too much chance of being foggy, and even though it's 50 degrees and overcast in mid July, you end up with a sunburn.

You heard it here first folks. A Seattle fan is complaining that the NorCal is too chilly and overcast.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,882,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
You heard it here first folks. A Seattle fan is complaining that the NorCal is too chilly and overcast.
He's not exactly the first to say that. Even SF Giants Carlos Beltran said NorCal was too chilly and overcast.

There's nothing wrong with liking the Seattle summer. Perhaps you need to get out more in the Seattle Summer when we have it.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 AM

278 posts, read 636,994 times
Every single person seems to be putting traffic in their top 5 "cons" and as I've spouted way too many times on this board, I think that's ridiculous. I'm a big campaigner for the following: Seattle has traffic like any place inhabited by people. Yes. But everything is relative. If you've lived in practically ANY other big city else the traffic is much, much worse. Seattle traffic is not even close to being as bad as LA, San Fran, New York, Chicago, Houston, San Diego, Dallas, Philadelphia, etc... Doesn't even hold a candle. Seattleites love to pretend it does (one of our favorite hobbies is pretending Seattle traffic is some of the worst in the country), but I just don't want outsiders looking to move to Seattle to buy into it and think it's as terrible as Seattleites want you to think it is. The traffic is better than any big city I've ever been to. Sure, there are crowded, slow-moving rush hour times. But basically the whole "traffic" problem in Seattle is grossly exaggerated by the natives.

Pros:
1.) Restaurant/Food/beer/wine scene
2.) Beauty. Nature. Outdoor activities. Mild, non extreme weather.
3.) Safety. Definitely one of the safer-feeling big cities in the country.
4.) Arts and entertainment.
5.) Asian food. Way better than Asian food in most cities. Especially Seattle style teriyaki.

Cons.
1.) Nightlife. Severely lacking. Bars close at 2am. No after hours bars. Strict alcohol laws. Need more clubs.
2.) Pretty bad public transportation. A subway system with four or five lines would greatly benefit Seattle.
3.) Unfriendliness/lack of warmth. People in Seattle just don't ****ing look at each other or acknowledge any "stranger's" existence. They are polite, yes, but friendly no. There's a cold "don't bother me" feeling to many Seattle natives. There's a lot of snobbiness. There's a lot of elitism. Opposite of the people in the midwest or the south. There are also a lot of cool people too though so don't take this as all encompassing.
4.) People drive so politely in the Seattle area it's almost a detriment and a danger. There's a lot of weird hesitation and slow downs and awkward driving moments. Inconsistency. Nobody in Seattle seemed to have been taught that the horn exists on a car as a means to communicate with other cars.
5.) I'll put lack of sunlight here, but it never bothered me like it does some people. In fact, I usually ****ing hate the sun and that bright ball of light pisses me off when it's shining in my eyes. The overcast days is almost a "pro" for me as I rarely have to experience that.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
--they will eventually bring destruction of the area, turning in into Bay area, driving residents out and replacing them
The tech companies are the only thing that has SAVED San Francisco. All the politics and absurd aggression against residents and businesses make it a very unattractive place from a professional standpoint. Without all those tech companies, SF would be no better off than Detroit by now. Sounds like you're just mad that you can't keep up with tech wages. Rail against the successful people that you rely on, that's a winning strategy.

Quote:
--the place had stricken me as more of a mono-culture
Leave your block?

Quote:
--why is it a ridiculous non-sense? Those who live organic lifestyle look much younger and better/age slower and stay healthier than those who don't. This 1) "con" is actually one reason to love PNW. Less idiocy.
Those people look like a stiff breeze could knock them over. And no, they don't do any of those things you tout. But I learned long ago you can't reason with someone who lives in another reality.

Quote:
--thanks heaven these people exist. More of them need to be in CA as well
Speaks volumes about you that you think you're so entitled.

Quote:
--try LA
Yes, compare the 3rd largest city in the country to a city the size of Seattle. That's totally apples to apples, right? Not only that, but there have been a number of years that Seattle has been rated as having worse traffic. And the big difference is, LA can expand its road system. Seattle really can't.

Quote:
--means good dating scene for single girls
If only there weren't so many worthless ones out there looking for their sugar daddies (and no, I'm not single, it's just a common refrain I hear from my friends here)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,367,277 times
Quote:
<insert stuff replying to alexxis>
Don't even bother Xanathos. From this poster's other rants, it is obvious they live in a parallel universe and/or thrive on being a troll. Don't feed them.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Don't even bother Xanathos. From this poster's other rants, it is obvious they live in a parallel universe and/or thrive on being a troll. Don't feed them.
I know. It's just that I've got about 50 minutes of dead time while I wait for something at work to run its pre-checks, and I've nothing else to do. At least I'm getting paid to be here atm :P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area