Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 57,022 times

Advertisements

We are looking at King County as our place to 'set down roots.' We,(50 yrs old married, grown kids, semi burnt out) are looking for homefor good and a place to 'invest' (in every way) in. Our kids have moved to the WA area and are now getting married and having babies...so it is time. What we are after is semirural, within reach of shopping and restaurants, community and churches to involve ourselves with and maybe a 30 min commute to Lake Union area for work. SO! I have researched a kindof loop of towns too the southeast and due east of Seattle(Enumclaw, Issaquah, Bellevue, Bothell, Carnation, Clyde Hill, Duvall, Hunts Point, Issaquah, Kirkland, Juanita, Newcastle,Redmond, Renton, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, Woodinville, Yarrow Point.) We are hoping for between 2 and 8 acres, and friendliness and neighborliness. We both come from small towns in the midwest(Iowa and PA) and have lived in SO CA for too long. And imput about these areas and any other suggestions would be appeciated. This is kinda hard at 50yrs. but we are ready for the change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2006, 11:52 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
Enumclaw, Issaquah, Bothell, Carnation, Snoqualmie, Woodinville, Duvall, Issaquah, Sammamish--- seem to have more open land in areas Also consider North Bend. It is right next to Snoqualmie and you get a wonderful view of the cascades.

Kirkland, Juanita, Newcastle, Redmond, Renton, Bellevue--- are more congested

Yarrow Point, Clyde Hill, Hunts Point,--not sure about these

I live in Sammamish and I love the eastside. Seems we get a bit more snow but the snow here is pretty insignificant. Mere inches.

From what I am seeing. Snoqualmie, North Bend and that general area is growing and may be a good investment. It is 30-40 min from the city and 20 or so from skiing. It has a small down town. But a newer area is going in with outlet stores and such.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:08 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Renton is pretty awful. No, it's really awful. Avoid it.

Issaquah and Sammammish are still quite nice and green, but at the rate they are growing, I don't know how long that will last. Same for Snoqualmie and and North Bend.

Enumclaw is quite nice. I really, really like it. A nice small town that is still within an hour of the city. However, keep in mind that if Mt. Rainier ever does "wake up," Enumclaw will be under a giant river of mud and debris. Also, it's quite a bit beyond a 30-40 minute commute to Lake Union. Probably closer to an hour, even in decent traffic. In bad traffic, you'd be looking at a lot longer than that.

Steer clear of Federal Way, Burien, Des Moines, and basically anything along the I-5 corridor. Bad traffic, congestion, and increasing crime and serious public safety problems.

I don't really know much about the other areas you listed. Sorry.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:27 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Oh great... more SoCals...

You guys seem to all be conservative, and have changed the nature of this city. WTH is so appealing? Do conservatives just *not*like* the environment they create, and so move to progressive areas to share a little of their 'sunshine'?

The nature of Seattle has fundamentally changed over the past ten years, and not for the better, no offense.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum

You guys seem to all be conservative, and have changed the nature of this city. WTH is so appealing? Do conservatives just *not*like* the environment they create, and so move to progressive areas to share a little of their 'sunshine'?

The nature of Seattle has fundamentally changed over the past ten years, and not for the better, no offense.
I can't speak for the rest but in the area of So. Ca. that I left... it was being taken over by retired Washingtonians and Oregonians. Got over populated quickly and drove the prices way up. So I figured we would come here with everyone up here going there. Seems fair!

And just a tidbit... Lots of liberals down there. More so than I cared for.
And for the most part the people I have met up here seem very welcoming and kind. hmmm...

Old 05-11-2006, 11:22 PM

15 posts, read 57,022 times
Quote:

I hope you feel better....What part of my note seemed particularly conservative? And sooooo much power you bestowed on me~creating an entire environment and influencing a city's atmosphere and social climate! Just wait till I hit town! I don't generally think of myself as SoCal, as stated before I claim Iowa as my roots, and Az. and Ohio, in between. But then you knew that when you vented because surely you read beyond the SoCal word...right? Thank you for your welcoming insight and reminder that nowhere is perfect. But I/we intend to make our home there and find peaceful, happy people to surround ourselves with and invest in our new community. No offense.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,732 times
Quote:

You guys seem to all be conservative...

SoCals... conservative? What are you smoking?

And as far as state immigration, grow up. You're not originally from WA either.

You look like the conservative here. Your ignorance is overwhelming sometimes.

Last edited by Ryan; 05-12-2006 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-12-2006, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 36,204 times
Default Welcome

If you make it here, "welcome to the great north-wet!" johosofat!
We would love to have ya'.
The rain and grey seems to create seasonal affective disorder in some. (no names )
While for others, it drives the creative engines!
Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon, the list is long.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,732 times
North Bend is one of the nicest rural areas within range of Seattle. It's close to town and a reasonable commute to the Lake Union area. It's been getting pricier as a lot of wealthier folks have been building there so I'd imagine it would be a great investment area. If it was me though, I'd set down anywhere on Bainbridge Island and ferry to Lake Union. It goes right there, it's cheaper than gas and you wouldn't have to worry about traffic (and yes the traffic in and around Seattle is flat out horrible). Bainbridge is extremely pretty and serene, but also very landlocked (it's and island after all). That keeps ALL of the bad element out, but also keeps you in. Not much shopping on the island, but you're just a short drive (>10mi.) away from Poulsbo, Siverdale and Bremerton. It's the kind of place I'd like to retire. Pricey for WA, but much more reasonable than O.C., and a better investment than N. Bend. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
You look like the conservative here. Your ignorance is overwhelming sometimes.
WTF?

After the compliments I've paid you, Ryan, and you say this about me?

I am now suspicious of your opinions as well.

Last edited by Quantum; 05-12-2006 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area