Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by super64 View Post
Now we're talkin' !
1.The International School is by lottery and we are still out of district /out of state boohoo
2. The Seattle Public School's APP is a great program and I need to call them. Anyone know about the middle schools involved with the APP. I know Garfield is the high school
3. I did not know the FASPS was opening a middle school this year - great news and thanks for the lead

I appreciate your support and feedback! As I see it, we all have an issue/situation that is fairly unique and we are just trying to connect. Thanks.

Anyone have children in the APP in Seattle Public Schools?
We'll be moving our kids (7th and 10th) around October so I need to do as much research as possible as I do not want to have to move them again!
My son is just starting APP this year (in the first grade) so I cannot give you first hand information about the program. I can tell you that when I went to Lowell's open house last year, the APP program director discussed his own son's history in it. He just graduated from high school and spent his entire education in the program: Lowell-Washington Middle- and Garfield. He and something like 22 of his first grade classmates were National Merit Scholars before it was all over.

I've spoken with several parents that have their kids in the program for a few years and have not met one person that had anything negative to say. And believe me, these are some discerning parents.

Because the kids are only working two grade levels above (they tell you at open house that if you are expecting your first grader to be doing fifth grade math, this is NOT the program for you) they get to spend a lot more time exploring the depths of a certain subject area. It's a great program in the sense that your kid is no longer the "smartest" or most "bookish" kid in the class so as to not feel like a geeky outsider Plus, it is much better to have a kid challenged now, rather than have him skate through and suddenly hit a wall when he gets to college. I think it keeps their egos in check too.

The best part: the price tag, $0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
From experience, it is very difficult to get into the APP program if you haven't been in the district for a while. Lots of begging and proactive interaction is needed.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
From experience, it is very difficult to get into the APP program if you haven't been in the district for a while. Lots of begging and proactive interaction is needed.
You simply need to meet the testing requirements - top 2% on the WISC IV or Stanford Binet V and top 5% for a predesignated reading and math achievement test - at least that's how it is at the elementary level. The Revised Code of Washington requires that each school district provide special education programming for "gifted" learners. Seattle's compliance with that law is APP.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
I was speaking primarily about the 10th grader. At that level, you are told the programs are overcapacity and there is no room.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I was speaking primarily about the 10th grader. At that level, you are told the programs are overcapacity and there is no room.
You are right about the 10th grader in that one cannot enter the APP program in high school but the the 7th grader is still eligible. That said, the student can still go to Garfield through school choice, although he may or may not get in, and take AP (Advanced Placement) classes.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 81,666 times
Ironically, the 10th grader has years of testing and coursework documentation so he should not have too much difficulty although it would still take some work . It's the 7th grader - he's our "sleeper". I've had to navigate through a number of school districts in previous moves and was a hs teacher, so I am aware of the time involved in securing the appropriate placement. That being said, does anyone know the best person to contact in SPS's APP program to find information and get the wheels in motion? Is the 10th grade program over-enrolled? What do they do with the students in the district who qualify but do not get in? and, who gets turned away? that would be a tough policy to defend as an administrator

Thank you again - this is really helping me.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Robert Vaughan is the manager of advanced leaning for SPS, which includes APP and Spectrum. His phone # is 206-252-0131, and email is rvaughan@seattleschools.org

Perhaps he can help.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,753 times
Wow - these have been great questions and answers! We are also moving to Seattle and have a 7 year-old who is working at the 3rd grade level....thanks so much for the APP information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area