Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 AM

22 posts, read 63,849 times

Advertisements

Hi PNW'rs,

The BF and I were planning to move up in June, but looks like Jan/Feb now, waiting until summer to do the drive is not an option We need suggestions for doing this drive in the winter,we are both native Floridians...has anyone:

done this drive? or something similair from the southeast?
done this drive in the winter?
done this drive with ZERO snow/ice/mountain experience??
done this drive with a big moving truck? we will have a penske truck and towing a corolla behind, will have my cat also

I have to admit I am getting pretty worried about this...I dont even know what snow tires/chains/salt- dont know about any of that, we dont even own coats yet, let alone special car stuff for cold weather

Some friends just did the drive from MD to Everett in January and they said dont even think about doing the quicker diagonal route across the country in winter, they suggested head due west to CA then up I-5 into OR, take 101..what do you think?

Our biggest concern will be safety, not time

Thank you thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Hi Laura. You're in for an exciting adventure with a new life in the Pacific Northwest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralk80 View Post
Our biggest concern will be safety, not time
Excellent! That's what your concern should always be. How wise and life-affirming of you!

Quote:
-- big moving truck
-- towing a corolla behind
-- have my cat also
Not an optimistic picture for travel in the mountains, for travel in the northen plains states, for travel in any of the forested northern states.

Quote:
Some friends just did the drive from MD to Everett in January and they said dont even think about doing the quicker diagonal route across the country in winter
Your friends are wise and they love you and your cat, and do have your best interests at heart.
Stay south and aim for southern California; make right onto I-5.

Here are some really helpful contributors:
All the reasons you MUST take the southernmost route:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...mountains.html
This is in the opposite direction so just reverse the info:
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ce-needed.html
Superb advice:
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ns-advice.html
And --
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...afe-areas.html

Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 AM

13 posts, read 43,302 times
Hey this is a great question. I am going to be making the same move but in the beginning of 2010 so this answer will come in handy for me. Lauralk80 do you mind me asking you what size truck you guys are renting and what kind of price they quoted you? You can PM me if you want to. I haven't been able to find a straight price and although I was going to go uhaul they have to be similar in price. I'll be towing a sentra so similar size cars and everything. Anyway good luck with the move!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,091 times
Howdy! Your best bet with no expience with ice and snow is to stay south. Head to Ca. and up I-5.
I lived in Oregon for 30+ years and the worst place in the winter time is crossing the mountains in the southern part of the state, like around Medford and Roseburg. STAY AWAY FROM CRATER LAKE!! The trip up 101 is not bad. No snow usually on the coast, if it does it doesn't stick for long. ODOT is good at putting de-icer on the main roads. 101 is very curvy and you must allow extra time, you will want to head back east to I-5 around the time you get to Newport/Lincoln City.Try to go east before you leave Lincoln City. From there it's a piece of cake. One of the best things you can do for yourselves is to call the road reports # every morning, you can type in the freeways you plan on taking without having to listen to the ones you do not need. You really shouldn't have any problems. Once you get into Oregon go to a Les Schwab tire center and purchase some tire chains and have the tech. show you how to put them on and do it yourself a time or two to make sure you get it right.This tire center has stores all over the northwest including Seattle. Keep your reciept because if you do not use them you can return them. If you do have to use them you can easily sell them. Good Luck to you both and if you hit any snow just remember to drive slow and don't panic.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,519 times
Laura, PLEASE listen to Scirocco. My husband & I, plus dog, made that same move--Orlando to Seattle in 2007. The big differences in our move, and they are BIG: we moved in summer, and we drove our car and did not tow anything. Even so, it was a long and tiring week-long trip. We took the southern westward route from Orlando, stopped in AZ to see family for a couple of days, picked up I-5 in CA and drove due north until we reached Seattle. There's no way we would attempt the trip you are considering, and though we don't have Scirocco's experience, we are originally from the midwest and know how to drive in snow & ice. Traveling across country, through the mountains in a rental truck towing a car, the risk of quickly developing winter storms, combined with the inexperience you describe? DON'T DO IT! Have you looked into ABF U-Pack? It's a (relatively) inexpensive way to move, and you wouldn't have the cost of the rental truck, higher gas costs, stress...etc. Just a thought, but please reconsider your options.

Best wishes on your move. We love it up here! Our son and daughter-in-law are making the same move (Orlando-Seattle) about a month after you--using ABF U-Pack, and driving their cars (I-10 to I-5).

Lynn

Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeda View Post
Hey this is a great question. I am going to be making the same move but in the beginning of 2010 so this answer will come in handy for me. Lauralk80 do you mind me asking you what size truck you guys are renting and what kind of price they quoted you? You can PM me if you want to. I haven't been able to find a straight price and although I was going to go uhaul they have to be similar in price. I'll be towing a sentra so similar size cars and everything. Anyway good luck with the move!
Codeda, you can get a ton of quick information if you scroll down in City-Data to the General Moving Issues forum. They have gaggles of threads about your questions.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Avoid snow

Yes, stay south. I-10 all the way into California and then north on I-5.

I drove from New Mexico to Seattle, WA one December as the crow flies. A lovely drive and perfectly fine, but I also enjoyed a weather window and largely dry roads. Even then some roads were snow packed. It might have been different, the weather can change quickly. Moral of this story is if you wish to avoid the distinct possibility of snow don't even think of crossing the interior of this nation.

It would be unusual if you encountered anything more than rain on I-10. I-5 the same until past Redding, CA, from there thence to Seattle you may even encounter snow. Save a big storm unlikely this, save in crossing the relatively low pass between California and Oregon.

The wet snow more common in the Pacific is more slippery to drive in than the drier snow commonly found in such places as Colorado. Tire chains, if you must use them, are a nasty nuisance best avoided. Not to mention if new to snow you shouldn't be driving in it until practiced in what you are doing. Bottom line: Don't. If you time your trip to match weather patterns you should sail through with wet roads at worst. If you should encounter snow on I-5 probably best to wait a day or two until it has melted. One other caveat would be, anytime in winter, to watch for black ice conditions in places such as Seattle.

So, yes, it is the long way around. But parts of the drive are quite scenic. And you won't be in over your head . . . or off the road stuck in a snow bank. And US 101 if you like some scenery and a bit of adventure, but I-5 is faster.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 PM

13 posts, read 43,302 times
Thanks allforcats! My phone isn't letting me quote but I looked over at that thread and got some good info. Thanks again

Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 PM

22 posts, read 63,849 times
Default Thanks Everyone

Well after reading everyone's advice we are thinking about puting the stuff in storage until summer and then flying back out to FLA and driving the quicker route back with a moving truck at that time.

Looks like we will be taking the corolla though, doing the southern route and then up 101, I feel much less worried about this option.

Thanks for taking the time and for all the great advice guys!

PS Codeda...I have not figured out how to PM yet, but Penske seems to have the best rates around. We checked 4 companies and Penske came back hundreds of dollars cheaper, plus they give a AAA discount and a 10% discount if you reserve online. Say away from UHAUL- they were the most expensive. Best of luck to you as well!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM

121 posts, read 536,108 times
My wife and I did the opposite trip back in '03, but in the middle of summer.

I agree with what the others have said regarding the southern route, and then up I-5. But you are smart to hit 101 from Northern Cali to central Oregon. The Siskiyou pass from Redding to Medford Oregon can truly be one of the most daunting passes to traverse in the winter. I have driven over the passes and in snow extensively my whole life, and it does not bother me, but last year I had to make that trip in a 4WD rental SUV, and it was crazy the amount of Snow that piled up on that stretch of I-5. If you hit 101, it will take much longer than a clear I-5, but you shouldn't have to worry about the snow...and that will make the drive much more pleasant for you.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area