Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,924 times

Advertisements

We live in British Columbia. My son must go to Seattle frequently for medical treatment. The long drive back and forth is wearing us down. He is unable to fly. His doctor wants us to relocate to Seattle area so she can keep a closer eye on him.

He doesn't qualify for Ronald McDonald house as he is not at Children's Hospital. I need to find housing max. $700.00 (but the cheaper the better) as we would be maintaining this AND our house back home and can't afford more. We would prefer something in the University/Children's Hospital district, but except for rooming in a college student house, I can't find anything affordable. This sort of housing arrangement would not work as he needs quiet and privacy.

All other options such as hostels and short-term housing at hotel apartments are too costly. Most apartments want a minimum one year lease and while we will likely be in Seattle longer than that, I don't want a lease obligation; I want to be able to go home as soon as possible.

We need to find an apartment or small house that's hopefully within roughly a one hour drive to the University W. District. Definitely nothing that would require us to drive through the mountain passes. We've looked for house-sitting positions without luck. I've also looked for a live-in companion position for a (somewhat independant/healthy) elderly person, without luck. We are clean living with no criminal record. My son's health issues are not contagious.

As my husband will stay behind in BC to work and only be able to visit once a month or so it my be myself and my son so safety is an issue for us, along with the afformentioned privacy needs and cost limitations.

I have spent hours and hours online - forums, craigslist, kiijiji, etc, but do not know which are the good/bad areas and which communities are affordable - due to conflicting opinions on forums and websites. I am also concerned about being scammed.

Any suggestions on what communities we should look into, anyone? I was thinking of a smaller outlining community so it would be more quiet, affordable and give him the nature he loves so much. Maybe Sultan or something? I will not be working so employment is not an issue. He homeschools so proximity to schools is not an issue. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 AM

203 posts, read 720,372 times
I'd suggest looking in the south sound area, or maybe somewhere out in kitsap. There really isn't a neighborhood that i don't feel i could walk through at night, except the homeless and drug addicted in the belltown area kind of freak me out. I don't like being down there very late if i can help it. I can't stand Everett, personally. But i think it's because it reminds me of West Valley City, Utah (part of Salt Lake) which i hated when i lived in Salt Lake.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,924 times
Default Recommendations for housing within one hour from Seattle

Thank you, mitsuturbo. I'll try that. Good to know the area is basically safe. That gives me comfort. Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area