Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I really hope the power doesn't go out, I have a 14 month old and a 13 day old at home.
I't's not so hard to prepare for electrical outages, Veronika, and hoping they won't happen probably will not work.

Layers of warm clothing - NO COTTON!

LED flashlights, big and small such as keychain, maybe a lantern.

good sleeping bags, rated down to 15 or 20F.

canned foods, trail mix, crackers .... the "hearty" kind of grain breads will usually last a good few days. Chocolate and hot chocolate of course.

Propane cooking stove, cook near an open window.

Oh, and don't open the freezer, your food will stay frozen a couple of days at least if unopened.

Entertainment thingies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I really hope the power doesn't go out, I have a 14 month old and a 13 day old at home.
I have a 3 year old and an 18 day old. Luckily, the grandparents live a couple miles away, and their power rarely goes out, because their power lines are buried underground in their neighborhood.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:45 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
http://blog.cleveland.com/photos/d055def59534e41d560257ea25234f9b.jpg (broken link)

moove to seattle, he sez
mild temperatures, he sez
dunt even need winter jaket, he sez

time to find new hooman

Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
VBP

2 posts, read 3,610 times
Default Bellevue - Crossroads to SEATAC airport. Monday morning - need transport suggestions.

Hi all,

I am new to the Seattle area. We(my husband, infant kid and I) live in the Bellevue crossroads area, and need to get to SEATAC airport Monday morning. We have an SUV. What is the safest way to get there? The Airport Shuttle Express is not offering door-to-door service that morning. We dont have much experience driving in the snow, and we dont have chains. We will have some luggage (baby stuff).Which do you think is the best option?
(A). Take a chance and drive to the airport.
(B). Take a cab. Dont know if cabs will be operating then.
(C). Take a BUS to 116Av NE, where the AirportShuttleExpress has a pickup point. Bus stop to pickup point is a 0.3 mi walk. I worry about walking 0.3 mi in the snow with a child AND luggage.
(D). Take a CAB to 116Av NE, where the AirportShuttleExpress has a pickup point. Will cabs be running? Dont know.
(E). Use the Bus. We will have to change buses at the Bellevue Transit Center. Do you think the buses will be running monday morning?

I welcome any suggestions or your experiences of Puget Sound public transport in snow conditions.

Thank you!
VBP.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Is your SUV 4 wheel drive? If it is, I'd drive to the airport. If not, I wouldn't drive it without chains. Otherwise, I'd try to take a cab if they're running. Not sure what the bus schedule would be like. Your safest bet might be going to stay at a hotel near the airport on Sunday night.

Good luck and be safe!

V. =)

Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I have a 3 year old and an 18 day old. Luckily, the grandparents live a couple miles away, and their power rarely goes out, because their power lines are buried underground in their neighborhood.
Lucky. We will have to go find a hotel if our power goes out. Oh, and congrats on your new arrival.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Since you don't know how to drive in snow and you have no chains, your chances of arriving at SeaTac are nil. DO NOT DRIVE IN ICE AND SNOW until you take lessons and then buy chains.

Phone for a taxi: phone the evening before and reserve a taxi for the next morning. Northwest Taxi or Yellow Cab. If the roads have ice and snow on them, you will likely have to wait an hour or two for a taxi if you do not make an advance reservation.

Or take the bus. Metro will be running -- Metro is always running -- but they may have very, very reduced service depending on how completely icy the roads are. Again, long, long waits may happen -- hours, like today.

Or I have another idea: Shuttle Express. I always take them to and from SeaTac (I'm in Bellevue).
Shuttle Express Seatac Airport Shuttle Seattle - Limo Service - Shuttle Service - Airport Transportation - Town Car (http://www.shuttleexpress.com/index.html - broken link)
Fabulous service! You MUST make reservations.

In any case, be absolutely certain that you allow 2 hours for travel time alone between Crossroads and SeaTac, PLUS the 2 hours you must arrive before flight time. This is a region of hills, and going by any method will be horrendous if the roads are the way they are today.

PHONE YOUR AIRLINE'S 800 NUMBER EVERY 4 HOURS STARTING SUNDAY EVENING TO FIND OUT WHEN OR IF YOUR FLIGHT WILL REALLY LEAVE.

I wish you well. DON'T DRIVE -- you don't know how. That's what professionals are for.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 PM
VBP

2 posts, read 3,610 times
Thank you all VeronikaW and AllForCats for your suggestions. Based on your feedback, have decided to take a cab or a bus to the Airport Shuttle Express pick up point. Thank you! VBP

Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Do you need chains here because of the hills? I grew up in IcySnowtown, NY and never saw a car with chains on it until 2 days ago.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:21 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
You need tire chains for traction on mountainous roads that are snowy/icy and steep. The state patrols will require their use on the interstates at certain times over mountain passes like those in the Cascades, Sierra Nevadas, Rockies, etc. I personally don't see them very often in the city.

They changed certain laws for studded snow tires in WA a while back, but I don't remember what the changes were all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area