Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: Seattle, apartment rental, vegetarian food, safe area, cross country moving.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,856 times

Advertisements

Hello all, been lurking on and off this board lately, and decided to sign up as I am starting to ramp up my long time dream of moving out there (yes, I'm another one of those guys). I'm planning on moving out this summer-ish, and had a few questions for the local experts.

I'd like to know if anyone could give me advice on when/how to get in there from the midwest. I have a few routes compared, but have no data on the mountain/weather part.

Coming from Chicago, what's the easiest route though the mountains? Are there months/paths to take there that are snow+ice free? I can't imagine I'd do well at all if driving a small moving truck up and down mountains with snow on the road. ^_^

Looking for apartments now, 600-800 sq feet studio or one bedroom is all I need. Where's a cool area to live? I'm thinking I'd like to live in a high rise apt downtown if I can afford it at that time, but I'd be cool with a place that has an artistic vibe/scene.

Happy:
Veggie restaurants and farmers markets close by
Cool vibe/stores, low to no chain stores
Lots of stuff to see and shop/live withing walking distance
Hustle and bustle on the street
Anything from the Fremont Troll to Modern Architecture
Coffee shops

Sad:
Having to worry about my safety walking by myself at day/night
Having my car/apt broke into
Suburbia, College Bars with Frat/Sorority scene (those kids are cool, just not my scene)

Thank so much for your time and help! Drinks for your kind assistance when I get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
On #1, I-90 connects Seattle to Chicago I think. Summer is the same everywhere in the US except perhaps Alaska: no snow on major roads.

On #2, you said it: Fremont. Or Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Eastlake, Queen Anne. I lived in Seattle proper in my 20s, and still think I had it right: lived on the top of Queen Anne, where it's relatively safe (few car break-ins) and there's still decent parking. From there I was close to everything else and a short (~10 min) bus ride to downtown. The other places are more lively, but they're just nice places to visit, not live, IMHO. I would not live downtown, high-rise or not. Too many sirens, gunshots, druggies, panhandlers etc. Queen Anne has a nice view of downtown, and it's an oasis in comparison. (The top of the plateau-ish hill I mean, not the bottom, which is sketchy.) Fremont is theoretically walking distance if you don't mind hills. Generally, lively & car break-ins go hand-in-hand. I suggest you look at a lot of online pics of these neighborhoods, to get a better feel for them.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:05 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
2. Looking for apartments now
Just remember never ever ever ever send any money to anyone until you have verified that: 1- they exist; 2- they are legally authorized to rent the place they say they're renting; and 3- the place is exactly, in real life, as they say it is. The internet, esp. Craigslist, constantly has rental scams.

Here are some resources.
NWSource. Click on locations in the little map to drill down to neighborhoods.
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods
Craigslist:
craigslist: seattle-tacoma classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Seattle Weekly:
Seattle Classifieds
There are also rent.com, forrent.com, apartments.com

Quote:
Having to worry about my safety walking by myself at day/night
Having my car/apt broke into
Never ever ever ever NOT lock your apartment door or your car doors. Have a chain on your door installed correctly and use it all the time you're home -- common sense.
Be sure to use The Club correctly on your steering wheel, according to the instructions. Local police love it because it's a proven deterrent.
Stop, reflect, think out situations; use your intuition and your wisdom to prevent crime against you.

Crime: you can choose crime against persons, such as in many crowded areas on the east coast, or crime against objects, such as in less crowded locations like here. We tend to have crime against objects. I'd much rather lose my car than my health, limbs, or my life. You can do a lot of walking day or night here.

Quote:
Suburbia, College Bars with Frat/Sorority scene (those kids are cool, just not my scene)
Then don't live in the University District of Seattle, crammed with undergrads and Greeks, or in Bellevue, Kirkland or Redmond on the east side of Lake Washington, all very suburban. Other neighborhoods are probably sufficiently mixed in ages to keep you interested.

Driving: I agree with the poster Helwos that I-90 will be open and easy to drive in the summer months (end June, July, August, early Sept.). Mountain passes can have some wind, but at that time not so much. Never ever ever ever allow any of your doors to be unlocked. Ever. Think "protection". I-90 has tons of motels along its sides at towns of all sizes, so you'll have access to sleeping, food and services throughout your drive.

Have a wonderful tri;!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,856 times
Driving:
---------
Thank you so much for your info you two, it sounds like i90 will be clear to drive through all summer without any snow worries. I'm in flat low land all my life, so I didn't know how the mountain thing worked out. I see I'll need to come from late June to early Sept to make for a stress free drive of that moving truck.

I had a couple links so far from these boards, but I hadn't seen Seattle Weekly yet...I love it!

Living:
--------
I'm still unsure about where to live. Fremont and Downtown were always possibilities from what I would dig up online, but there is a very heavy draw for downtown unless I can find a safe place in Fremont that is really cool with veggie food and unique shops. Is there anything like that in Fremont, or should I continue looking downtown?

And if indeed downtown, it looks like fairly recent crime maps show the northern part of downtown to be the safer place, above Yesler Way. Are there other streets I should look to stay above/within when looking at highrises?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM

There's some veggie food most everywhere here, even if it's just some menu items at the Greek place in Fremont. Fremont is also known for unique shops and public art (like the troll). It's not a large area, but merges into others.

Most of downtown is north of Yesler. There are high-rises sprinkled all over downtown, but I'd say most young people live in Belltown, around Bell Street of course. Downtown has a relatively safer area, the northeast part including South Lake Union (and not Belltown), but all of it is sketchy at night. If you walked around regularly at night, highly likely you'd eventually see or experience crime, and you would frequently be panhandled. There are some great inexpensive to moderately-priced restaurants, but most are $$$+.

Another area to consider is around Pike St. east of I-5, on Capitol Hill (the part closest to downtown). Mostly low-rises, lots of new condos, lots of bars & restaurants, same crime problems described above.

I would definitely not live in the International District, Pioneer Square, or Pike Market areas. Fine by day, but not worth my life at night!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago.to.seattle View Post
I'm still unsure about where to live. Fremont and Downtown were always possibilities from what I would dig up online, but there is a very heavy draw for downtown unless I can find a safe place in Fremont that is really cool with veggie food and unique shops. Is there anything like that in Fremont, or should I continue looking downtown?

And if indeed downtown, it looks like fairly recent crime maps show the northern part of downtown to be the safer place, above Yesler Way. Are there other streets I should look to stay above/within when looking at highrises?
What you have described IS Fremont. It's also Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, parts of First Hill, parts of Green Lake, Ravenna, maybe Magnolia, Phinney Ridge (which is also near the wondermous Woodland Park Zoo). What you have described is not so much downtown.

About "safety", if you don't think that personal safety is terrific, then I don't know what to say. I spent the first 30 years of my life in New York City and I know a lot about personal danger. Western Washington is so safe and relaxed by comparison.

You won't want to live anywhere near Yesler -- the whole area is crammed with courts, municipal and federal buildings, office buildings, businesses, expensive restaurants, trucks, buses and it's much too noisy. There are NO supermarkets in downtown but there are in the neighborhoods outside of downtown. In downtown there are very few other stores except quite expensive clothing stores. Downtown is office buildings and expensive condos, some of which are available for rent at high prices because real estate costs so much in downtown. There's no "neighborhood" downtown because it's largely business. If you want to feel as though you're a part of someplace, you don't want to live in downtown Seattle but in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM

There's a Whole Foods in South Lake Union, perhaps the closest grocery store. I agree with allforcats above.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 PM

24 posts, read 106,838 times
Personally, Im amazed you guys havent mentioned west seattle yet. I live on Alki, and absolutely love it. Its "in city", but still gives the impression of wooded seclusion. Now, you could compare white center to the central district (lived there, would NOT suggest it), but the north and western parts of west seattle are really nice. I work by the needle, and the commute only takes about 20 minutes by bus. Not to knock freemont or QA, I still want to get a place up there sometime. Cheers all.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM

That's a good suggestion. I like Alki too.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
There's a large grocery (Kress) at 3rd and Pike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area