Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,817 times

Advertisements

Will relocate to Kirkland in two months. Need recommendation for a family friendly neighborhood around Kirkland area. Company is at Kirkland downtown (Kirkland Parkplace), I'm Ok within 20 minute commute time. I have two boys, 4.5y and 1.5y, so a safe area with good elementary school nearby is a must. May rent apartment for a year or so then buy a single house around 600k. I've looked at Juanita Bay since the elementary school there ranks 10. Is Juanita Bay a good place to settle in? Thanks for any advice~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
For $600K why bother having a commute to Juanita Bay? Esp. since a year from now that will be today's $700K (or $800K) house? You could live closer to downtown Kirkland and still have a nice place. Downtown Kirkland is not much different than Juanita beach, just more restaurants & shops and more upscale. They're only about 2 miles apart.

I lived near Juanita beach for a couple months this year. Bo-ring! I soon tired of the handful of mediocre restaurants / coffee shops. The bay has a nice view, but was windy and sometimes stunk like a paper mill (I never figured out why). It's pretty close to downtown Kirkland so it was okay really. Compared to most places in the US it's probably nirvana. My kids really liked being close to the St. Edwards Park, which has an excellent castle-like play equipment. The two parks at Juanita beach and the boardwalk connecting them is nice.

Look closely at what criteria was used to rank the school. Sometimes it's dubious. I haven't figured out a way to rank schools up-front yet, at least when there's no obvious crime/gang problems. All of the Eastside seems pretty decent to me, but I'm wary of ones with snobby kids.

I'd check out the Cherry Crest Elementary school area, in Bellevue. I think that's in Bridle Trails (around Bridle Trails State Park). I lived around there a long time ago. It's as close as Juanita beach, $$$ ($600K okay, esp. next year!), but closer to Seattle, and Bellevue has a really good selection of restaurants and shopping. Probably can't get much safer than the Bridle Trails neighborhood.

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-10-2009 at 01:28 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Bridle Trails is nice.

Finn Hill will be cheaper. A lot of young families settle up there. Your kids will be at Juanita Elementary and its not too far from DT Kirkland.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,446 times
He's planning $600K for housing in 1 year, in Finn Hill that'd be a McMansion or something with a water/Seattle view. He may want to save some $$$ for the coming depression. I agree that Finn Hill is a good value, esp. if one does most eating at home or likes Generica (Taco Time, Quizno's etc.).

Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
I thought McMansions were newer houses built in gated communities way out in the suburbs that all look alike?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
I too thought "Mcmansions" were new, but I think maybe the idea is expanding (like the universe) to include any conspicuous consumption and superficiality one wants!

Kirkland is in the Lake Washington school district, which is considered one of the excellent districts in the state.

Given 1) currently falling real estate prices, 2) the current semi-depression, and 3) the possibility of 2009 being a bleak year in every financial/economic way imaginable, I seriously recommend renting for at least a year, while you save every penny and watch the U.S. economy and the world economy very carefully. That will also give you good breathing space to find out where you really want to live, as the choices of areas are enormous.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,817 times
Thanks for all inputs.

Took a look at the Bridle Trails, tons luxury homes...seems like I need to save more $ if buying house there. Can't find apartment for rent now around Cherry Crest Elememtary. But definetly will keep an eye on this area next year when I start looking for house.

Finn Hill is also attractive since my wife prefer newer houses. With two yound energetic boys we barely have time to do home renovation.

Sandburg / Thoreau elementary are in Finn Hill area. How are they compared to Juanita?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area