Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times

Advertisements

Been off this forum for awhile, and the economy unfortunately is making me "save up" for quite a bit longer than I had originally anticipated. Anyway, I'm still pretty sure Seattle is the city for me. I am a NWerner at heart, down to the emotional distance and lack of assertion.

Anyway, originally I'd probably be looking to move to Tacoma or a Seattle Suburb. What I'm wondering is - is Washington good for Kayaking? I did some of it in college, although only on big lakes. Since I'm going to be alone for my entire life, I'd love to start developing it as a hobby, as I know it is something that could really provide endless enjoyment. I'd love to go camping on the weekend, kayaking the watery wilderness, sucking in the fresh air, and seeing the trees and mountains. Sadly, such is not very possible in Wisconsin, where there is lots of water but little variety.

Is Washington a good place to move for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Seattle area, and WA in general are fantastic places for kayaking.

I mean seriously - you have Lake Union right in the middle of Seattle with great views of downtown and other neighborhoods (and you can kayak right to the houseboat used in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), then you have much bigger Lake Washington, not to mention Puget Sound - fantastic kayaking in West Seattle on Alki Beach right opposite of downtown, weekend getaways to San Juan Islands and a million other places

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
Nice to hear that. That is what I figured.

I also worry that the water is like 55 degrees year round.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
I'd like to hitchhike on this thread and ask about places to rent kayaks around Lake Washington that are on the water (no car-top carrier).

Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
I hear this place is cool: Agua Verde Cafe & Paddle Club Seattle (http://www.aguaverde.com/ - broken link) I haven't been yet, but one of these days...

I finally got to do a bit of kayaking in the San Juans and I am hungry for more. Much more.

Don't worry about the water being cold. Just don't tip your kayak and you're fine. Or, in a swimming pool, become an EXPERT at the hip-snap so you can roll right up again. Hahaha....

Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Very true. I do miss the warm waters near Monterey Bay, for sea kayaking, but there are amazing opportunities here.

We did a little bit of kayaking just yesterday, around Gig Harbor, to take advantage of a sunny day. We really enjoyed it. This summer we do want to get more into Lake Washington kayaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Seattle area, and WA in general are fantastic places for kayaking.

I mean seriously - you have Lake Union right in the middle of Seattle with great views of downtown and other neighborhoods (and you can kayak right to the houseboat used in the movie Sleepless in Seattle), then you have much bigger Lake Washington, not to mention Puget Sound - fantastic kayaking in West Seattle on Alki Beach right opposite of downtown, weekend getaways to San Juan Islands and a million other places

Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
Default Agua Verde is

a quintissential Seattle spot. Great Mexican food (authentic), and the kayak rental facility is top notch. You can paddle into either Lake Union or Lake Washington, and the experience on a perfect Seattle day is really hard to beat.

If you can get yourself to the San Juans... I'll just say that the kayaking is unparalleled. You haven't lived until you've kayaked among a school of Orcas in one of the most stunning settings on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area