Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times

Advertisements

There are decent areas in all those cities.

In Renton, look at the Highlands.
In Kent, go to the east. Covington is a small city a few miles east of Kent that came highly recommended to us for the schools and community.
In Everett, avoid the mall area, avoid Hwy 99/Evergreen Way. Southeast Everett, out towards Silver Firs/Mill Creek is nice.

Generally, I prefer South Snohomish County to South King County and the taxes are lower. But if you will be commuting downtown, Kent and Auburn have more commuter-rail train departures that can get you downtown in 20-30 minutes.

I've said this in other threads and don't want to sound like I have a financial interest in this area, but we found our ideal family neighborhood in Lakeland Hills, Auburn. New neighborhood, new schools, nice parks, shopping and dining right in the neighborhood - and the houses are reasonably priced (for this area). It's a great, safe place for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Renton Highlands, squirrel? *eeehhhhhh ...quivers a bit *

But I agree, Lakeland Hills is nice. Had a friend who was looking in that area. Good value can be found there, you're right.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-04-2007, 05:49 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
'Rocco - do I have the name wrong? I thought the Highlands was the neighborhood that bordered Issaquah. I checked a map on this site before posting because I wasn't 100% sure and it looked like the right area, but maybe I was wrong? Did I just accidentially refer him to that neighborhood right up the hill from 405?

I can't edit it, but I was agreeing with Chris - out where the community blends into Issaquah seems kind of nice, I'd consider it. Then there is Newca$tle, but they branched off, didn't they?

I'll probably get to know the area a little better after the move. We've heard nothing but good things about Lakeland and know quite a few people who live there. When I had to move to South King County (as a Snohomish County girl, it was not something I did willingly ), the choice was Covington or Lakeland. Covington felt too isolated, so Lakeland was it. We looked elsewhere, but just... nah. Even if the neighborhood was nice, the schools seemed sketchy.

Last edited by secret_squirrel; 05-04-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
'Rocco - do I have the name wrong? I thought the Highlands was the neighborhood that bordered Issaquah. I checked a map on this site before posting because I wasn't 100% sure and it looked like the right area, but maybe I was wrong? Did I just accidentially refer him to that neighborhood right up the hill from 405?

I can't edit it, but I was agreeing with Chris - out where the community blends into Issaquah seems kind of nice, I'd consider it. Then there is Newca$tle, but they branched off, didn't they?

I'll probably get to know the area a little better after the move. We've heard nothing but good things about Lakeland and know quite a few people who live there. When I had to move to South King County (as a Snohomish County girl, it was not something I did willingly ), the choice was Covington or Lakeland. Covington felt too isolated, so Lakeland was it. We looked elsewhere, but just... nah. Even if the neighborhood was nice, the schools seemed sketchy.

Ah, I hope I didn't come across as ridiculing, squirrel. I didn't mean to be.

But yeah, when I think of Renton Highlands, I usually envision the area that's centered where 4th intersects with Union and north to the bussiness district on Sunset. The area around the voc-tech is kind of dreary which could be included in the described area. Increasing gang activity and crime seem to be spreading through the area with more and more low-income and subsidized housing.

You're absolutely right about east Renton Highlands, however. The Lake Kathleen area and, as you say, the area that borders Issaquah is more rural and has a variety of housing possibilites available.

Good post!

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
rocco,

I would have said the same exact thing about 2-3 years ago about the area you're talking about (especially the gang/thug element feel of it, which seems to have mostly disappeared). Next time you're up in the area, you should take a drive through the area and you won't believe how much it's changed (especially 4th/128th which has been totally Californicated).

The area still has that kind of "dreary" feel to it from time to time. There are still a few rough areas, but due to high evaluations on the area, it's cleaning the area up. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
rocco,

I would have said the same exact thing about 2-3 years ago about the area you're talking about (especially the gang/thug element feel of it, which seems to have mostly disappeared). Next time you're up in the area, you should take a drive through the area and you won't believe how much it's changed (especially 4th/128th which has been totally Californicated).

The area still has that kind of "dreary" feel to it from time to time. There are still a few rough areas, but due to high evaluations on the area, it's cleaning the area up. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Oh, ok, good to hear, Chris.

Yeah, it's been probably about a year since I've been up there. At that time I remember waiting at a traffic signal at Sunset and I think it was about Harrington? ...there's a subsidized housing project at the corner, and saw a bunch of thug-looking characters crossing the street and I thought to myself "ugh, is this area still doesn't look good." But that might have been because of the close proximity to the "project."

It's good to hear that area is getting cleaned up. It's actually a convenient place to live so I can see why property might be getting more desireable there.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,294 times
I grew up between Renton & Maple Valley - now semi-country, beautiful, but you will pay through the nose for housing.
Bought my own home in Kent when I got out on my own. Kent and Renton has grown into each other. When I went past my old place a few months ago I hardly recognized the area. It is growing by leaps and bounds.
Everett, I have never lived in but it feels like the type of city it was founded on...wood....with the corresponding "aroma".
All the surrounding towns (Hobart, Black Diamond, Enumclaw, Issaquah, etc) are all growing fast as people move further out of the cities.
The area has not been hit very hard by the slowdown of house sales. Most of the prices are still rather steep.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 AM

5 posts, read 22,390 times
Default Renton Highlands?

As I remember, the Renton Highlands (during the 1960s through 1970's) was mostly lower income, small, tract housing for the most part. My Aunt and Uncle owned a home in this neighborhood during this time.

However, I must admit that things have dramatically changed since then and may well be quite different than I remember. Yet, I would suspect that many of the original homes in this section have been seriously ugraded into very nice residences with healthy price tags.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:56 AM

9 posts, read 34,394 times
Yeah renton and kent are known to me and my Puyallup friends as the one of the 'places you don't go without a posse'. Stay away from those. Also stay away from towns that make you have to take the pass on your way to Seattle. That pass is backed up ALL THE TIME.

That Covington idea seems like a good idea...cute little town.

Look into Maple Valley as well. As far as price goes, you're never going to get the best price if you only want to be 20 miles from Seattle. I used to drive to Seattle from Bonney Lake (way out in the boonies every day) and it took an 1 and 1/2 -2 hrs to get to work. But prices were cheaper. But Maple Valley has REALLY good school districts.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM

41 posts, read 305,784 times
I live in Maple Valley and can say from experience, it is a joy to live here. The school district is wonderful! They have special programs for children who "fall behind" which quickly catches them up and I have a tremendous respect for all the hard working staff. They always know my children by name, even though there are hundreds of children that they work with. The graduation rate is a whopping 91%, which speaks for itself! It's a quiet little suburb but only minutes from real woodsy, beautiful countryside. My neighborhood has been established since 1994 and there hasn't been a single criminal incident in my neighborhood. Of course, the town has crime but, so far, there have been no break ins here. I feel very safe here, letting my children ride their bikes to Four Corners (where the grocery store is). All of the new neighborhoods are designed with cul-de-sacs which makes it safer for children to play and more noticeable if a stranger comes around. Each new neighborhood also has its own park and some are simply picturesque. There are woodsy trails all over for biking or hiking and I've really enjoyed exploring them as my children have grown up. Lake Wilderness has a great beach, dock and park area - good place for swimming and a picnic! Houses aren't cheap here but you really get what you pay for... the lifestyle is great, the people are friendly and you're only 25 miles from Seattle! All of the conveniences are within 10 minutes like medical facilities (including an urgent care), Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, Safeway, Kohl's, Do-It Center, Office Depot, Petco, etc... The best of both worlds really is right here in Maple Valley. I love it and so do my kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area