Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM

30 posts, read 109,279 times

Advertisements

Hello there, new member here. I'll be moving to Seattle in July, very soon, and very exciting. All of my question about Seattle have been mostly answered on this forum (great forum btw). So i had one question of my own.

I will be living in Downtown Seattle, near The Art Institute on Elliot, and I was wondering what is the best grocery shopping market around there? Pike Place would be waaay too expensive and im looking to do some saving.

I've googled some and have found Whole Foods, Ralph's Grocery & Kress IGA SuperMarket. Are any of these any good in price wise? These are all within walking distance. Mostly under a mile which is great. Are there any other ones nearby that i missed? Or if you live in downtown where do you go to get your groceries?

Thanks a lot for yur time and will look forward to your guy's responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_loves_jesus View Post
Hello there, new member here. I'll be moving to Seattle in July, very soon, and very exciting. All of my question about Seattle have been mostly answered on this forum (great forum btw). So i had one question of my own.

I will be living in Downtown Seattle, near The Art Institute on Elliot, and I was wondering what is the best grocery shopping market around there? Pike Place would be waaay too expensive and im looking to do some saving.

I've googled some and have found Whole Foods, Ralph's Grocery & Kress IGA SuperMarket. Are any of these any good in price wise? These are all within walking distance. Mostly under a mile which is great. Are there any other ones nearby that i missed? Or if you live in downtown where do you go to get your groceries?

Thanks a lot for yur time and will look forward to your guy's responses!

Kress is good for toiletries, boxed and canned foods. Prices are good.

Ralphs is highway robbery. Only go there if you absolutely need to.

Whole Foods is rather expensive but you can get cheap ethnic food, cereals and decently priced freezer foods if you know where to look.

Pike Place is actually not expensive. For meat, go to Fero's Meat Market. They sell meat variety packs for like $30 that will last you 2 weeks. Pike Place has cheap produce, too. The problem with the Market is its hard to get there if you have a job and are busy on the weekends. They close super early.

If you have the time, take a bus to a Trader Joes. I find that's the highest quality food for the price.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM

Awesome, keep em coming!

I also googled for Fred Meyer and it looks like there's one on Pike St & 7th, is that right? There isn't any reviews on it so i wasnt sure if that was correctly stated

Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
No.

I go to the Kress IGA quite often, because it's convenient to where I work, and I like the deli. The store is a lot smaller than the grocers I frequent in the 'burbs, and the prices would be kinda high for everyday shopping, though, I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_loves_jesus View Post
I also googled for Fred Meyer and it looks like there's one on Pike St & 7th, is that right?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
There's no Fred Meyer at 7th and Pike...Lower Queen Anne has a QFC and a Safeway, and at the other end of downtown in the International district, Uwajimaya and Viet Wha are good for meat, seafood, and produce. You can catch the 99 Metro bus just below the Art Institute on Alaskan Way and it will go to the International District.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Well, atleast there are a few choices now. When I lived in Seattle 15 years ago the closest thing to a downtown grocery store was a hotel gift shop!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,746 times
Ohhh yeah how could I forget Uwajimaya! Definately worth the trek to Chinatown. The meat n shellfish is so cheap! Except the pork buns and dumplings are expensive so some god-forsaken reason.

Oh and if you like trout, you can get whole ones fresh at Pike Place and Uwajimaya for like $2 or less.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM

seems like i got some good choices.

another great question. i wont be driving, i will be selling my car here before i move. So how would i get my groceries to my apartment? The only way i can think is pack what i can in my backpack and carry the milk gallons and OJ. what do you do?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
Amazon Fresh!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Amazon Fresh!
how does that workout with shipping rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: