Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 19,854 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Wyoming. I have a daughter who will be two in May. Her father is moving to Seattle soon. We have been separated for awhile but are talking about getting back together, in which case I would have to move to Seattle. I just don't know where to start. I have been to Seattle and love it, I have always wanted to move there but I know nothing about living there.

Does anyone have advice? I am wondering what some good neighborhoods to look into, what to expect for housing...which is better, apartments or houses and what price range I need to think about for a two bedroom place and anything else that might be helpful in thinking about moving there.

Anything is helpful, like I said, I'm clueless at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:44 PM

75 posts, read 344,554 times
Hello.

Do you want to live in Seattle Proper or the burbs? Also, is there a job, where will you or your signifigant other work? That will certainly help on the advice. King county has a median home price of 450K, snohomish county(north) is getting high too. If you want a 2 bedroom aprt you could pay 900-2,000 depending on where you live?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Being a mom (who's remarried) but we live away from my son's dad. The question is "Where do YOU want to live?"

Are you moving away just for him? Will you be by any family or friends? You might find it better for you and your daughter to just stay put. Unless you think Seattle is a better place for raising your child.

If still moving to Seattle, please know the schools are crap and only across the water at the "Eastside" where all the yuppies with lots of money live are the good schools. Most people on the Seattle side put their children into private schools.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,188 times
I know a family from Wyoming who relocated to Spokane, which is a similar comparison. Seattle would be a culture shock if you could handle that.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Before anyone can give you any specifics about where to live, etc - you need to provide your expected housing budget, where you will be working, etc.

On the negative side, prepare for a much higher cost of living, lots of congestion, generally average school districts and rain.

On the positive side, a vibrant, active, creative city with a lot of energy and interesting things to do and look at. Very scenic...

Old 04-08-2007, 09:24 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Most people on the Seattle side put their children into private schools.
I've read this statement a few times here, and it is completely false. If Seattle is so expensive to live, how can most people also afford to put their 2.3 children into private schools?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
I've read this statement a few times here, and it is completely false. If Seattle is so expensive to live, how can most people also afford to put their 2.3 children into private schools?
Its also a very well educated city. Education = money!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Exactly, Aquajox. I too sort of question that statement when it's brought up. Yes, there a lot of parents using private schools in Seattle but "most," eh, I don't know. I'd like to see the stats on that before I actually believe it. It sounds unlikely but you never know.

However, I do agree with CityGirl that Seattle's public schools are suffering and seem to be getting worse and worse.

--'rocco

Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
It is COMPLETELY false. About 1/3 go to private school.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Just for comparison, what does a good private cost a year in Seattle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area