Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

I've sponsored a child for the last three years, and I recall the first time I told one of them that, they stopped in their tracks, looked at me, and went, "Oh yeah? What country?"

"Zambia."

"Boy or girl?"

"Girl."

"WOW! THAT'S SO AWESOME! Not enough people sponsor girls in Africa, etc etc blah blah blah so, have you thought about sponsoring another child?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 PM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
Personally, I was completely turned off when I listened to their spiel and then asked for printed material, as I never part with my money without researching thoroughly where it is going. To this request, they replied that they do not have any printed material to save costs. I then asked for a website and they kept pressing me to give them money, information, etc., right then. Those types of hard-ball tactics completely turn me off and now that I know better, I will never speak to any of them again other than a "hi" if they say "hi" first while continuing to walk right past them.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,568 times
Yes, I too, have had to "run the gauntlet" when in Seattle. I did sign a "People for Puget Sound" petition once. The young man seemed fairly sincere to me. But most of the time I`d rather research the organizations and sign up or donate at my leisure rather than being "heckled" on the street when there`s something else I want to do.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
I have worked for Dialogue Direct for a little over a month and some of the comments here are unfair. Some people are willing and happy to sponsor a child and they will listen to you. We don't use underhanded tactics to get people to sign up, we show them they can actually do it and they should. Every person I work with sponsors at least one child and some two, so to say that we don't care about it is definitely not true. The people who don't care won't last at the job. Children International fund raising budget is now at 10% because Dialoguers are good at their job. Most other charities who use mailings and tv ads, etc fundraising budgets are much higher. Also, we want people to sign up immediately because most people won't do it later. Someone walking away means 99% of the time they will not become a sponsor.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM

172 posts, read 442,147 times
Very annoyoing. I cant stand walking down some streets by Pikes place because they jump out at you with a speel.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
Very annoyoing. I cant stand walking down some streets by Pikes place because they jump out at you with a speel.
Pike Place.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 35,488 times
I live in Capitol Hill and already run a gauntlet of drug addicts, aggressive beggars, and violent drunks asking for money. On top of this, I have to deal with the paid-activist ******* pestering me.

Check this out...

I'm walking down Broadway and see yet another gaggle of paid-activist morons blocking the sidewalk. So I start to walk around them. One of the ******* moves to intercept me as I shake me head and say, "No."

Then he moves directly in front of me and I say, "NO!" a second time and louder. So he starts blah-blah-ing something to me and I say, "No. What is it about the word NO you don't understand?" He's still blocking my path and I have to walk around him to continue on the sidewalk.

Then I hear him say to one of the other paid-activist ******* in a goofy condescending way, "What is it about NO you don't understand?" and they both laugh. Now I'm really pissed so I turn around, walk back to the little twerp and say, "You're pestering me on the sidewalk and then getting snippy and mocking me as I walk by? Explain that to me." So he mumbles something and I give up and go on my way. Thing is, I can pass the same gaggle of snippy little ******* a number of times on Broadway, when I'm out doing errands, and the same rude slugs will block my path and pester me.

Last edited by masterman; 12-01-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyima View Post
I have worked for Dialogue Direct for a little over a month and some of the comments here are unfair. Some people are willing and happy to sponsor a child and they will listen to you. We don't use underhanded tactics to get people to sign up, we show them they can actually do it and they should. Every person I work with sponsors at least one child and some two, so to say that we don't care about it is definitely not true. The people who don't care won't last at the job. Children International fund raising budget is now at 10% because Dialoguers are good at their job. Most other charities who use mailings and tv ads, etc fundraising budgets are much higher. Also, we want people to sign up immediately because most people won't do it later. Someone walking away means 99% of the time they will not become a sponsor.
For me, it's not so much a question of whether or not the cause is just. For me, it's the simple belief I have that I should be able to go about my business wherever I happen to be without being bothered by other people. That's really not too much to ask. In fact, most people seeking donations will leave you alone. Take for example, most of the Salvation Army people outside of grocery stores around the holidays. I usually get nothing more than a smile from them. I am not stopped or bothered. They too have a good cause, they just operate within certain boundaries. Of course, forums being what they are, someone will probably chime in about one of them tackling someone to the ground...

Charities should establish a booth or area, and only engage the people who approach them. If that does not generate enough funds, then perhaps you need to utilize more of your budget towards marketing legitimately. The majority of the "Dialoguers" (btw, nice spin on a solicitor) that are aggressive work for charities that have donation quotas or some form of "recognition" for donations received.

Again, I and 99% of the rest of us just feel we have a right to be left alone and not bothered unless we initiate contact with you. If you are engaging people walking by and continue to engage them when it is obvious the person is not interested, your tactics are underhanded. It really is that simple.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,664 times
A little over a week ago I was walking just outside the Westlake Center Mall and I got stopped by a person trying to get me to sponsor a child. I shouldn't have stopped. I think it's great to sponsor a child and stuff if that's what you want to do. I'd like to someday, but right now I don't have a good job and I'd like a steady income before I sponsor anything. This girl followed me when I said no and continued to follow me down the block. I told her to talk to someone else and she kept saying, "Well what if the next person says the same thing?" I wanted to tell her that could happen, but it was part of her job, but instead I jumped inside a crowd and lost her. It was extremely annoying. Now whenever I see someone out I just walk very closey with the people in front of me if I'm alone.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterman View Post
I live in Capitol Hill and already run a gauntlet of drug addicts, aggressive beggars, and violent drunks asking for money. On top of this, I have to deal with the paid-activist ******* pestering me.

Check this out...

I'm walking down Broadway and see yet another gaggle of paid-activist morons blocking the sidewalk. So I start to walk around them. One of the ******* moves to intercept me as I shake me head and say, "No."

Then he moves directly in front of me and I say, "NO!" a second time and louder. So he starts blah-blah-ing something to me and I say, "No. What is it about the word NO you don't understand?" He's still blocking my path and I have to walk around him to continue on the sidewalk.

Then I hear him say to one of the other paid-activist ******* in a goofy condescending way, "What is it about NO you don't understand?" and they both laugh. Now I'm really pissed so I turn around, walk back to the little twerp and say, "You're pestering me on the sidewalk and then getting snippy and mocking me as I walk by? Explain that to me." So he mumbles something and I give up and go on my way. Thing is, I can pass the same gaggle of snippy little ******* a number of times on Broadway, when I'm out doing errands, and the same rude slugs will block my path and pester me.

Pepper Spray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area