Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 17,407 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out if I should move to Seattle or Portland from socal.. I've been reading alot of forums about the negative attitude in Portland towards Californians moving to the area. Is that "Go back to California" attitude as bad in Seattle?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
DONT DO IT!

trust me you wont like it.

im from california as well so I know. most of the other people i knew from california ended up hating it and moving back in less than 2 years. im about to as well.

seattle = Most depressing place Ive ever lived. (my opinion of course )

Last edited by ryanst530; 11-16-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,984 times
Seattle is the most depressing place I've ever lived. (By default; as it's the only place I've lived).

I imagine it would keep that title if I did move, though.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso621 View Post

Is that "Go back to California" attitude as bad in Seattle?
I remember that 20 years ago, even 10 years ago, as California became more and more crowded and people wanted to move, there was a lot of public Californian-bating in the Seattle area. Lots of jokes and flack, in local broadcasts, newspapers, workplaces, over back fences. I've never seen racial or ethnic or religious discrimination here (although I suppose it must exist somewhere, since unenlightened people are part of every population), but there was a pretty strong negative attitude about a certain type of people from California -- those who moved here, chose to not adapt, chose instead to complain, and wanted to have, do and be here everything they had been, done and had in Calif.

They didn't want to become part of their new home -- they wanted their new home to become a carbon copy of where they had come from.

Chief among the dislikes locals had were imported attidudes which expressed here as elitism, snobbery, classism, and blatant materialism that many Californians brought with them and then used as the lenses thorugh which they viewed the Seattle area. Another way in which they chose not to fit in was their constant whining about the weather -- locals felt that the transported Californians should either shut up and move away, or adapt to reality as everyone else here does and not make their happiness depend on such a small component of life.

The dislike locals felt was not confined to Seattle: wherever Californians moved and kept those divisive attitudes, they found similar negative reactions among many of the people in other parts of Washington, in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, etc.

In the past half-dozen years or so, many many people have relocated to Washington state from all over the country, and from all over the world, due to a growing and desirable employment situation. The local culture has absorbed them all. As a result, former Californians are no longer so "visible". Nowadays the locals tend to label complainers and whiners as "transplants" or "foreigners" (meaning from out of state as well as out of country) since the origins of newer residents have become so varied.

So the moral of the story is: attitude is everything! -- personally and socially, eh?

Last edited by allforcats; 11-16-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I remember that 20 years ago, even 10 years ago, as California became more and more crowded and people wanted to move, there was a lot of public Californian-bating in the Seattle area. Lots of jokes and flack, in local broadcasts, newspapers, workplaces, over back fences. I've never seen racial or ethnic or religious discrimination here (although I suppose it must exist somewhere, since unenlightened people are part of every population), but there was a pretty strong negative attitude about a certain type of people from California -- those who moved here, chose to not adapt, chose instead to complain, and wanted to have, do and be here everything they had been, done and had in Calif.

They didn't want to become part of their new home -- they wanted their new home to become a carbon copy of where they had come from.

Chief among the dislikes locals had were imported attidudes which expressed here as elitism, snobbery, classism, and blatant materialism that many Californians brought with them and then used as the lenses thorugh which they viewed the Seattle area. Another way in which they chose not to fit in was their constant whining about the weather -- locals felt that the transported Californians should either shut up and move away, or adapt to reality as everyone else here does and not make their happiness depend on such a small component of life.

The dislike locals felt was not confined to Seattle: wherever Californians moved and kept those divisive attitudes, they found similar negative reactions among many of the people in other parts of Washington, in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, etc.

In the past half-dozen years or so, many many people have relocated to Washington state from all over the country, and from all over the world, due to a growing and desirable employment situation. The local culture has absorbed them all. As a result, former Californians are no longer so "visible". Nowadays the locals tend to label complainers and whiners as "transplants" or "foreigners" (meaning from out of state as well as out of country) since the origins of newer residents have become so varied.

So the moral of the story is: attitude is everything! -- personally and socially, eh?
In the eighties the anticalifornia attitude had a lot to do with Californians moving up here with lots of money (from the sale of their homes) and paying cash for property. Supposedly that drove up housing costs in the late eighties. They were blanket statements about Californians and not after people met particular ones with bad attitudes. It also happened in the Spokane area as well.

Right now the same thing is happening in the Austin, TX area. The anticalifornia vitriol reminds me of Seattle circa 1988.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
In the eighties the anticalifornia attitude had a lot to do with Californians moving up here with lots of money (from the sale of their homes) and paying cash for property. Supposedly that drove up housing costs in the late eighties. They were blanket statements about Californians and not after people met particular ones with bad attitudes. It also happened in the Spokane area as well.

Right now the same thing is happening in the Austin, TX area. The anticalifornia vitriol reminds me of Seattle circa 1988.
Just move to eastern Washington. Most residents are so pissed at the coasties that they will overlook Californian's.

My two favorite bumper stickers:

Have a nice trip back to Seattle

And this one seen on a pick-up....

DON"T 206 509.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
Move wherever you want and don't worry about what people think.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Seattle is the most depressing place I've ever lived. (By default; as it's the only place I've lived).

I imagine it would keep that title if I did move, though.

Much unlike California, which might be the most exciting place to ever live in.
California fires destroy 1,000 homes, winds ease | Reuters

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,984 times
California isn't the only other place in the world.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,341 times
Personally, I don't care where you are from! You are free to live where you want, just like I am. That being said, Jennibc is right. That attitude is far more prevalent in Austin, TX than in Seattle right now. I think the main thing is to embrace where you live instead of trying to make it like the place you used to live and talking about the new place you live in such a manner. When in Rome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: