Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

State approves tunnel and amendment that could cost citizens | West Seattle Herald

Ya know, I wish I could be at the meetings for these things.

Member #1 "We need a tunnel!"
Member #2 "YES! Brilliant! A TUNNEL! I heartily concur!
Member #1 "It's gonna cost LOTS of money!"
Member #2 "We'll get a bid, and make it happen! Lots of jobs for everyone! YEAH!"
"Member #1 "What if there are cost over runs?
Member #2 "Shush yo' mouth!....!!!!! That's why we have property owners! They live for this kind of stuff. Why, you could paint a skunk green, call it "Enviro-Skunk" and sell it to a property owner here for 1 zillion dollars!"
Member #1 "You've got to be kidding me."
Member #2 "Well, yes...yes I am. But still, once this project goes over budget and there's a massive bill to pay and there's this huge hole in the ground and it's a major pain in the butt 2 years from now, well...at that time, local property owners & and the 10's of thousands of people affected will gladly pay just about anything to get out of the Hell that has been created."
Member #1 "That's like, so awesome in its smartness, it's Smarty-Awesome!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 05:18 PM

204 posts, read 814,131 times
I don't understand how, because half-way through they will find an ancient native American pile of sacred rocks, putting the entire project into automatic stop/halt.

Aside from that I think a tunnel is a great idea. Lots of countries building tunnels at relatively low cost, such as where my wife is from the average income is very very low yet in about 10 years they built a fantastic underground system that connects to a massive above-ground skytrain. It's hard to believe what other countries can do, but we are stuck with rotten infrastructure. We are supposed to be such a great country, but we are wasting our money on a mysterious "weapons of mass destruction" trillion dollar war invasion. A sales job put upon us by Mr Wolfowitz et al. Why are they not in jail?

It is really important to study how other countries can do this at such an affordable cost, and for US citizens to demand an end to funding an "attack dog" military which is so counterproductive and wasteful of our labor.

I believe in Seattle redundant environmental studies and legal fees will constitute what percentage of the final cost? Far too much.

Those are my thoughts.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,811 times
I think the tunnel is awesome

Old 04-26-2009, 05:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
Member #3:
" I move that we appoint a subcommittee to study the matter, that we authorize 250 thousand dollars for this study, and that after the study is completed we appoint a blue ribbon task force to study the study."
Member #2:
" But businesses will be going out of business, and we're expecting them to pay cost overruns?"
Member #1:
" Member #2 is out of order. Motion moved, seconded and carried. New business? Shall we have a mascot contest for the tunnel?"

Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,729,335 times
^^^

Good one Ira! Would have repped you but it won't let me.

(For what it's worth, I like the tunnel.....)

Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,972 times
We were out there today, and yeah, I'd like there to be a tunnel. The whole area would be much more enjoyable without that monster.... But I'm not sure I'd enjoy it enough to be willing to PAY for it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post
Those are my thoughts.
All my thoughts too!

The one big justification for the tunnel is that there will be no disruption above, supposedly. That could save a lot of money, if only to users of the area. I fear another Big Dig, though, and sacred rocks found.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I fear another Big Dig, though, and sacred rocks found.

Or a nesting site for an endangered slug variety.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
Ask Boston about cost over runs for tunnels... They know a lot about it. That being said, now that the elevated highway (ugly) going right through downtown Boston is gone, that area is beautiful.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,758 times
who cares how much the tunnel costs. 20 years from now the people of Seattle will be thankful the viaduct is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area