Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM

56 posts, read 268,918 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm an avid snowboarder who moved here from Colorado and I'd like to hit the slopes this winter at least twice a month. For anyone with particular knowledge, I'd very much appreciate if you could answer any of my Q's.

What are the closest ski resorts to Seattle and Bellevue? I'd prefer a drive under 2 1/2 hours if I can. Typical daily lift ticket cost?

What is the terrain like at these resorts? Is there a very good mix from greens all the way up to double-triple diamond runs, tree and powder runs, or terrain parks? There very many long trails?

In Colorado, I had a season pass that gave me access to five different ski resorts for $400. Is there anything like that here, what is the typical cost of a season pass, and what is the deadline to get one by?

I prefer to meet new people and car pool as much as possible. Does anybody know of any websites or ski/riders groups for Seattle that I can look into?

What are the road conditions typically like driving through the passes during the winter?

I know that's alot to ask, but thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyrides View Post

What are the closest ski resorts to Seattle and Bellevue? I'd prefer a drive under 2 1/2 hours if I can. Typical daily lift ticket cost?
Snoqualmie/Alpental is very close, shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes from Bellevue on I-90. Ones that aren't that close are Stevens Pass and Crystal Mountain, both of them bigger and better than Snoqualmie. There's also Mt. Baker which is by Bellingham - a little far, but great for snowboarding - and holds the distinction of being the first ski resort to let snowboarders onto the lifts. Typical daily lift cost for each is somewhere between $50 - 75, if I remember correctly from last year.

Quote:
What is the terrain like at these resorts? Is there a very good mix from greens all the way up to double-triple diamond runs, tree and powder runs, or terrain parks? There very many long trails?
Hmmm. I believe each one has a terrain park, but not too sure. Crystal Mountain has a lot of long trails, more suitable for skiers because there's lots of stretches in those where there's no slope. I believe there is a good mix of runs. Never seen a triple diamond run though, a few doubles. Alpental, in particular, which is right next to Snoqualmie is made of nothing but double blacks. Stevens Pass is my personal favorite for snowboarding.
Quote:
In Colorado, I had a season pass that gave me access to five different ski resorts for $400. Is there anything like that here, what is the typical cost of a season pass, and what is the deadline to get one by?
I have not heard of a pass that allows you access to every resort. Right now, Crystal Mt. is offering early bird full season passes for $800.

Skiwashington.com is an excellent resource for this kind of information.

Individual resort websites:

Crystal Mountain - The largest ski area in Washington
Stevens Pass | Home
www.summitatsnoqualmie.com
Mt. Baker Ski Area Fall 2009

Quote:
I prefer to meet new people and car pool as much as possible. Does anybody know of any websites or ski/riders groups for Seattle that I can look into?
There is a ski/snowboard meetup group on meetup.com

Seattle Ski & Snowboard Meetup (Seattle, WA) - Meetup.com

Quote:
What are the road conditions typically like driving through the passes during the winter?

I know that's alot to ask, but thanks in advance.
Last winter they were pretty good at all times, but I wouldn't take any chances. Sometimes, there's a chain patrol where cars are not allowed to proceed unless they put on chains but I've never come across that.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,270 times
Default I'm a skier, but

spend lots of time with boarder buddies.

Alpental has all of the steeps you could want. It's small, but very convenient (~45 minutes from downtown Bellevue).

Crystal has probably the best terrain outside of Alta, but the really good stuff requires a bit of hiking, and tends to lean more towards skiers. 1 1/2 hours from Seattle, actually longer from Bellevue. .

Stevens Pass is a zoo on weekends, but has good terrain, reliable snow, and plenty of terrain if you hook up with a local. 1 1/2 hours.

Baker is world class for boarders. Meet locals. Board with locals. You'll need an avi kit to get clearance for the OB goodies, but it's worth it. Tons of snow.

White Pass is a great little area, but is a good 3 hours from Bellevue. Best to get a place in Packwood for the week/end to kill it. Expanding starting next year. Best snow of the 'West' resorts.

Mission Ridge is underused, and the shortest on snow as it's on the east side of the Cascades. Snow quality is unparalleled in the state, and you're much more likely to find your Colorado bluebird conditions there. It can get very cold and windy, but as a boarder, you'd love it.

Whistler is 4+ hours away... I needn't write the superlatives.

Crystal is my go-to as a skier. Best combo of size, snow, terrain, and access, and a good lift system to boot. But be prepared to hike if you want to avoid the hordes.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Awesome. Thank you both for the great information! (Insert super happy smiley face here)

Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
We are avid skiers who used to live in Colorado. After 12 years in Texas, we are just thankful to be near the slopes again. We go to Snoqualmie Pass every weekend because our two little ones are in lessons. SP is totally adequate for the price and the proximity, however the snow quality will be a bit different than what you are used to in CO and the mountain is half the size. My husband boards and has a lot of fun on the double blacks at Alpental. You can get a ski pass for $519 which gets you Unlimited at Snoqualmie Pass and Alpental plus 5 days at Crystal less if you drop off Crystal, but I don't think you'd want to. The nice thing about Snoqualmie is that you can get up there pretty quickly and they have night skiing several days a week. So even if it's not Colorado, we figure some skiing is better than no skiing...except when the snow turns to rain. And then it just plain sucks. That has only happened to us twice in about 30 visits to Snoqualmie Pass. We had several great powder days up there though. And yeah, get up to Whistler...I like it better than Vail for the overall experience. Welcome to Seattle!!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 AM

Thanks. I am somewhat familiar with the snow in the Cascades as I've had the chance to ride on Mt. Hood a few years ago. The Colorado Rockies provide arguably some of the best sking in the world with a number of the resorts linked to the same companies (hence the multi-resort passes) so perhaps I've been spoiled. I might perhaps just have to try different resorts out this year, and hopely be prepaided for a pass next year if not this year. And Whistler is definately on my must-visit list.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:03 PM

84 posts, read 243,773 times
Baker is really a world class mountain for boarding. It get so much snow. My favorite mountain for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area