Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 AM

191 posts, read 510,874 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are early 30s, parents, and alabaster. I'm a CISSP and my lady is a faux painter/designer. I'm looking for one of those neighborhoods that's seen better times, but is up-n-coming, with people buying houses and fixing them up to "live in them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Well shucks. I've been heavily researching housing in the area for awhile now and think I just realized that most of [affordable] Seattle is an extended borer-line slum. Masses of houses packed together on major thoroughfares with no sidewalks, poorly kept yards, old clunkers sitting on the lawn, and [is this a prerequisite for Seattlites?] a beat up camper trailer sitting haphazardly on the property.

I'd always envisioned Seattle as being a perpetual scene from Goonies [Yes I know Goonies is Oregon].

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM

What I'm getting at here is, where are the communities with sidewalks, parks, where people take "pride" in their homes, and where I can live without being a CEO?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
Maybe in Oregon?

Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 AM

I love you Jenlion, but I'm not 'in love' with you. I think we should see other people.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:23 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I'm looking for the same thing, but unfortunately there seems to be a trade off. You can live in a cool old house, in a neighborhood that is becoming less skanky, but forget about decent schools for your kids, unless you want to pay $750,000 for said house. It sucks, my husband and I fell in love with a house. It was so quirky and awesome. And then we researched the elementary school. No thanks.

If you find some place, let me know.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM

I suppose it's also pretty difficult to figure out if the neighborhood is on the 'up' or 'down' trek. Welp, if I find the right neighborhood I'll endeavor to communicate it.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
Are you looking for Seattle-proper or just somewhere around? Are you moving from another part of the country we can compare to if we're familiar with it? Are you looking to work in any particular place?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm looking for something within reasonable commute distance to the tech jobs [I'm an IT Security Analyst, CISSP] in Seattle, which I hear are spread out East and West of lake Washington. I'm moving from Saint Petersburg FL. with my wife and 3 sons. I was born in Redding CA. and a few years ago was struck with an inner need to get back to the mountains. Seattle seems to be the best place, culturally, for my family. I love mountains, rain..constant rain [we get more rain here in FL than you do in Seattle], and what I perceive to be a budding culture of sustainability.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:34 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Affordable is pretty relative. If you're coming from LA or San Francisco, Seattle's housing may seem quite affordable. If you're coming from, say, Saint Petersburg Florida, it may seem quite expensive.
That said, the least expensive in city neighborhoods are Rainier Beach, Rainier View, South Park, Delridge, Highland Park, parts of Beacon Hill,Georgetown, Lake City...Columbia City is a neighborhood that's no longer up and coming ( it's there) but is still less expensive than some other neighborhoods full of hipsters.
Outside of Seattle, Maple Valley has great schools and mostly newer houses. Renton is clearly up and coming, but the school district has a long way to go, although some of Renton is in the much better Issaquah school district. If you're working in Seattle, a commute from Burien would be easy, and downtown Burien's retail strip is just great, artsy, cool. Burien is an up and coming place with nice parks. If you're working east of Lake Washington, prices are going to be a lot higher, but some of the City of Newcastle has somewhat less expensive homes and some of it's in the Issaquah school district. Some of it's in the Renton district, but where Renton has it's better schools. That's the thing: Some school districts here are not so great ( Seattle, Renton, Highline, Tukwila, etc) but even in those places there are nice parts with good schools. It doesn't mean that every school in the district is bad or that your children won't have an opportunity to excel or that they'll be in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area