Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 AM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And hoestly, it's not the kind of rain we're used to getting. In SD it usually rains for half a day, sometimes a full day and it's moderate to heavy then it clears up and is cold for a few days. That happened, on Monday. Then it was clear the next day. Then the cloudy weather moved back in (no complaints about that) and it was either just overcast, or like today, it's been off and on showers. Now let me define showers, any type of water falling from the sky here is called rain. It's really very light and blows around in the slightest breeze almost as if the drops were tiny snow flakes but of course they're not. It's fairly balmy for a "rainy" day here too. It's very gloomy and damp. I'm loving it really.
well let's hope it lasts! I'm heading down for the holidays and would love a bit of "Seattle weather" while I'm there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
This week here in San Diego, it's been cloudy 4 out of 5 days with rain here and there. Most of it light, some just drizzle with only one day of really heavy rain. Most of the time, when it wasn't raining it often looked as if it would. This seems to fit what I've read about for Seattle's weather. If this is how it is, then I'm going to love it when when I finailly move there because this is my favorite type of weather. The only real difference is that I'm certain is not as cold but the cold I can handle.
Ah ... no matter how many times it comes up that someone "from away" writes how much they love the rain, I marvel ... and keep muttering: "it's not about the rain" ... what's "not about the rain"? -- the uniquely challenging Seattle atmospheric ambiance.

Here's a description I have written before a couple times and which I will trot out again:
imagine that you've taken your clothes out of the dryer before it was fully cycled ... put them on thoroughly damp ... now step to your refrigerator and open the door ... set a fan inside ... turn it on and stand there soaking up the 'refreshing' breeze -- ('High' setting for the fan most of the time) ... do it steadfastly for about 8 months a year ...

late Sept. thru much of Oct. you will be allowed occasional sunbreaks ... Nov. thru March you will be allowed nearly no sun breaks at all ... just a few hours here and there every few weeks (and you must do this endurance feat in the shortest daylight hours in the lower 48) ... April thru May you will again be allowed some intermittent sun ... June thru mid-Sept. you will actually be allowed to wear dry clothes - most of the time.

Achoo!

That's what you have to either like or be willing to endure to enjoy this area. Some do. You might. But it is not about the rain here.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah ... no matter how many times it comes up that someone "from away" writes how much they love the rain, I marvel ... and keep muttering: "it's not about the rain" ... what's "not about the rain"? -- the uniquely challenging Seattle atmospheric ambiance.

Here's a description I have written before a couple times and which I will trot out again:
imagine that you've taken your clothes out of the dryer before it was fully cycled ... put them on thoroughly damp ... now step to your refrigerator and open the door ... set a fan inside ... turn it on and stand there soaking up the 'refreshing' breeze -- ('High' setting for the fan most of the time) ... do it steadfastly for about 8 months a year ...

late Sept. thru much of Oct. you will be allowed occasional sunbreaks ... Nov. thru March you will be allowed nearly no sun breaks at all ... just a few hours here and there every few weeks (and you must do this endurance feat in the shortest daylight hours in the lower 48) ... April thru May you will again be allowed some intermittent sun ... June thru mid-Sept. you will actually be allowed to wear dry clothes - most of the time.

Achoo!

That's what you have to either like or be willing to endure to enjoy this area. Some do. You might. But it is not about the rain here.
Ah I remember a lot of that while growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area. The duration during the winter was shorter but often more intense. During Dec and Jan and perhaps into early Feb in Berkeley, the rain would come at you at a 45 degree angle. Your clothes were never dry if you were outside. There was often a nut cutter of a wind blowing and it was so cold that the contents of your bladder would achieve the consistency of a Slurpee. I can handle winter. What I cannot deal with are the summers in SD. Imagine 77 to 80 degrees. Yes it gets like that in Seattle but here it's with dew points in the mid to high 60's. Very sticky and gross. Not like places back east but you will feel the humidity here. I'll take winter winter weather any day lol.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Ah I remember a lot of that while growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area. The duration during the winter was shorter but often more intense. During Dec and Jan and perhaps into early Feb in Berkeley, the rain would come at you at a 45 degree angle. Your clothes were never dry if you were outside. There was often a nut cutter of a wind blowing and it was so cold that the contents of your bladder would achieve the consistency of a Slurpee. I can handle winter. What I cannot deal with are the summers in SD. Imagine 77 to 80 degrees. Yes it gets like that in Seattle but here it's with dew points in the mid to high 60's. Very sticky and gross. Not like places back east but you will feel the humidity here. I'll take winter winter weather any day lol.
77-80? maybe downtown i suppose.

try 97-100 during summer inland. not pleasant.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
77-80? maybe downtown i suppose.

try 97-100 during summer inland. not pleasant.
Oh I was talking about the official SD summer temps. Where I live it's in the mid 90's to 100 as well but I usually try to get away from here during the summer.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
I'm in Bellingham, an inch of snow now

Argghh I hate this crap.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 PM

55 posts, read 179,967 times
It's snowing here in Tacoma as well.

First year in the Seattle area, and we've already had both an abnormally hot summer, but apparently an abnormally dry/sunny/cold winter so far too.

I'm wondering if it is something I brought with me when I moved. Hehe.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM

no snow in Seattle yet

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
It's supposed to be 75 degrees in San Diego by Friday (12/18) how's that for winter? I'd perfer the cold myself. I guess there's no such "perfect" place to live weather wise.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
I went out this morning and cleaned about three inches off my car South of Bellingham near Lake Samish)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area