Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 13,321 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of Summer (Summer? What Summer?) I bought an above ground swimmimg pool....2,400 gallons of water! It was great! We used it twice.....(on the two hot days that we had!) I was loving life. I REALLY hate
the weather here. I am always cold. It's great if you're an introvert and like to spend nine months indoors, but what about those of us who have to work for a living? I don't like rain 10 months a year. Born and raised here with family.....and an o.k. job....I just want out. It's August....supposed to be hot....looked forward to summer for almost a year....now it's too cold to enjoy the pool. I wanna move....it's pathetic to sit bundled in my robe shivering on a summer morning....or worse yet, turn on all the heaters in the house.
Did I mention seasonal affective disorder....I'm planning to move to New Mexico. Never been there.....but I'm dying here.....
Sad in Seattle I even planned our wedding and cancelled 2 months prior because I just couldn't get out of my funk. Fiance is worried if we move I might still feel the same. I feel great when it's about 75 degrees.....and love live....then when it's colder I'm miserable. I just want to move sooo bad.....
I have a daughter with 3 more years of high school....then I'm outta here (if I find the energy). Anyone out there that's moved from Seattle to a warmer climate and had success? PLEASE let me know!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
*laughs* ...no folks, that is not me posting in disguise!

If you've read my many posts here, ladyhawke, you'll know that I have the same sentiments. After being born, raised, and spending the majority of my life in Washington, I moved to the desert SW and love it. I still spend a lot of time in the summer up here in the Seattle area but like you, I even find the summers colder than is comfortable for me.

You might consider the San Diego area where the temperatures are around that 70 degree mark all year around on the average but it's crowded, congested, expensive, and it's just California.

For me, I like the low humidity and sunny skies of the desert. It's really perfect for me about 9-10 months of the year and then we'll get 2 or 3 months of really hot temperatures. But even during the summer, I don't mind those 105+ degree temps when the humidity is so low. With the exception of the summer months, the climate in the desert is perfect for me. It might be what you're looking for because during those 9 to 10 months, it is in the 65-85 temperature range with predominantly sunny skies.

Let me know if you want further comments my move.

--'rocco

Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
Lady hawke
You took the words out of my mouth

I hate the weather here too - It's much too cold - I'm comfortable in the 80s - and tolerate 100 degrees easily

I'm from Sacramento - wish I could move back

Old 08-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 599,691 times
Haha, I love it.. 64 and rainy in August... I have no problem with it myself. 98 and bakin' down in Riverside where I'm from.. Screw that.. It'll hit the mid 70's here in a couple days, no worries people..

Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,670,747 times
I'm not a shrink, but sounds like there is more going on here than just weather. Most people acclimate to their surroundings. Turning on the heat below 75 is just crazy in my opinion. But I grew up in Seattle, and love the climate there.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 PM

797 posts, read 2,993,073 times
Default I moved away from the rain

Ladyhawke...You're not crazy for turning the heat up and it not as simple as getting acclimated to your area. I lived in the Western WA area for 20yrs and until the last five I was able to grin and bare the gray weather. Then when my family life took a stressful turn my mental and physical health lost the ability to balance out the lack of sunshine. SAD was only half of my troubles I also suffer from FMS so I really needed a change. For me it really is not so much a heat issue as it is a light and warmth issue.

My husband works for Boeing and I thought we were trapped in the PNW area until he found a Boeing facility in San Antonio,TX. We've been here for 18 months now and if you ask him the move has made a big improvement on my attitude. I do miss the PNW a lot, it is hard to start over, especially when you have very deep roots in an area, however I do believe after I get over the homesick blues I will be very happy living in a much sunnier place.

If moving must be put off for now, I suggest you set aside money and time for some winter vacations. Not just long weekends either, take a week or two off in later January and head off to someplace sunny and warm. (Phoenix was my favorite place to escape to.) Also my doctor reccommended going tanning and it really does help. I went once or twice a week, just when I needed a pick me up, the light and warmth really does make a difference. Excercise also helps, join a gym if you can, find one with a pool and if you're not into swimming laps you can always use a kick board instead. Bottom line stay active even if it means finding indoor activities to do, trust me it will only get worse the more you sit still.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 PM

534 posts, read 3,112,511 times
we were spoiled last summer with never-ending sunshine and total lack of rain (2nd driest on record). This year it's pretty much the opposite, cool and overcast. I'd guess we've had about 15 days of real summer (sunny hot days) and almost none of those have been in August!

Maybe we'll get a nice summer like September or something...

Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 PM

199 posts, read 1,514,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
we were spoiled last summer with never-ending sunshine and total lack of rain (2nd driest on record). This year it's pretty much the opposite, cool and overcast. I'd guess we've had about 15 days of real summer (sunny hot days) and almost none of those have been in August!

Maybe we'll get a nice summer like September or something...
Farmer's Almanac is predicting a hot September So don't give up hope yet, and think warm thoughts!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,270,283 times
Take a few day trips to central WA and see if the change helps your attitude. Ellensburg is a good day-trip destination to walk around and get some sun.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,908 times
Default Here's the thing:

This July was one of the top 10 wettest Julys on record.

August will almost certainly be in the top 5 wettest after today's deluge is done.

So saying that this is 'typical' is as disingenuous as saying that it's 80 degrees and sunny every day in the summer. We've had two consecutive statistically anomalous summers.

Last summer was abnormally warm & dry... this summer has thus far been abnormally wet.

We've still had less than 2 inches of rain since the start of July. Check anywhere but the Southwest and tell me where else that's been the case.

In conclusion - don't freak out. We know it will be gray and dark come mid-October, but I'm guessing by tomorrow afternoon folks will be outside again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area