Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 11,176 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Seattle in March 2010. We are both 30, no kids, he makes around $160K and I'm a stay at home wife. We're looking to rent a 2br/2ba apartment for $2k a month or less. We plan on having children in two years or so. We have lived in NJ, NYC and are currently residing in Atlanta. We haven't yet figured out what part of town to live in but we're looking for a neighborhood that best fits the following criteria:

1) walkable and in the heart of the city (access to public transportation)
2) safe, preferably more towards upscale side but not too stuffy
3) we love to eat good food so nearby restaurants is a plus
4) we're not into the bar/club scene so we'd prefer not to be in an area where there will be drunks
5) has condo buildings with concierge
6) near a park would be nice
7) somewhat diverse

We're both so excited to be moving to Seattle but don't know a single person there and have no idea what part of town would be best for us. I've looked into Belltown but I heard there is a bit of crime in that area. I've also looked at Ballard but I think it will be too car-dependent for us. We do have a car but I'd like to be able to walk as much as possible. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM

947 posts, read 1,643,057 times
Hi. I DM'd you with some recommendations. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
I'd suggest Queen Anne. Parts of Capitol Hill might also do it for you, especially the northern and eastern parts, and also Montlake and the Lake Washington neighborhoods of Madisdon Park, Leschi, and Madrona.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
And don't rule out West Seatte, particularly the Admiral District, Alaska Junction, and Alki.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:57 PM

217 posts, read 561,537 times
"4) we're not into the bar/club scene so we'd prefer not to be in an area where there will be drunks"
Ira500's suggestion of Queen Anne, once named "Temperance Hill" (HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History) would be a great place to start a family.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 AM

68 posts, read 192,726 times
what u seem to be referring to is an area called fremont

Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 PM

36 posts, read 153,780 times
Queen Anne, Capitol Hill and South Lake Union sound most like what you are looking for. I think of these as the most urban neighborhoods outside of downtown, with the exception of First Hill, which doesn't sound suited to what you are looking for.

Queen Anne is more upscale, has access to restaurants and shops, and is pretty walkable depending on what section you're in. It's got easy access to downtown, good public transit and lots to do right in the neighborhood. I find it a little stuffy, but then I've lived on or around Capitol Hill for many years and like the more laid-back vibe of it. I have friends who live in Queen Anne and just love it there, and it is a nice area of town.

You might also look at the north end of Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park - very nice, old neighborhood, diverse, walking distance to Broadway and 15th Ave business districts. There are tons of good restaurants in the area. There is a bar/club area further south, about a mile away, and centered on Pike/Pine (the hipster/gay meccas). If you live in north Capitol Hill you'll have easy access to it, but it won't impact you at all when you go home. Transit is good in the neighborhood, and it's very centrally located. Don't let the Pike/Pine area or Broadway (which have a sizeable transient population) put you off Capitol Hill - the hill is actually quite large and very affluent in parts. The north end of it is one of my favorite areas in Seattle.

South Lake Union might also be a good option. It's an up and coming neighborhood just north of downtown. There are tons of new condo and apartment buildings going in, and a new park being built on Lake Union. It's walkable to downtown, has public transit (including the streetcar), and is rapidly being filled in with shops and restaurants. It's the most urban of the three I've mentioned, but also quite a pleasant area with none of the problems of Belltown. It is also a newer neighborhood, so there's maybe less in the immediate vicinity in terms of restaurants than QA or CH, but it's also adjacent to downtown and Belltown.

Based on what you wrote, you should definitely avoid Belltown. There are some okay sections with nice new condo buildings and some of the best restaurants in Seattle are there. However, it can be a little dicey in some parts, and there are some "problem" clubs and bars in the area, as well as a large transient population. I worked at an office in Belltown for five years and it just gets a little iffy at night - sometimes in the day, too. There are also condos in Pioneer Square, which is notoriously loud at night, and I would definitely avoid it.

Ballard is a nice area, but further from downtown, and you would definitely want a car to live there. Same with Fremont, which has a lively restaurant and shopping area, but is a little further from downtown. Good luck with your search!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,055 times
Green Lake Area !!!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,966 times
Hi. My husband and I currently live in Atlanta, used to live in NYC, and are considering moving to Seattle also. We've just started to talk about alternative places to live in, and we're curious to know how you like Seattle so far? Thanks!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,378 times
Hey, if you want to lower your transit costs, take a look at this website. Its seriously helpful. It also gives a realistic overview of some cool neighborhoods like fremont, capitol hill, ravenna...

Seattle: How the Emerald City Saves Green « transportation costs made transparent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: