Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times

Advertisements

Capitol Hill is the 2nd most densely populated neighborhood in Seatte. Capitol Hill contains some of Seattle's wealthiest districts, including "Millionaire's Row" along 14th Avenue E. south of Volunteer Park and the Harvard-Belmont Landmark District. It's also home to a wide variety of city residents. Walk down Broadway and you will find couples walking dogs, street kids, or me heading to the grocery store.

Hope you enjoyed the tour

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 AM

72 posts, read 300,404 times
Default Nicely Done, As Always!

Love your photos, pwright1. You do a great job.

I printed this series because my wife and I will be in Seattle this weekend, and one of the things we're doing is scouting out potential neighborhoods. Capitol Hill is on the list. Others we'll probably drive through (or walk, depending on the baby's eating/sleeping routine) include Queene Anne, Ballard, and West Seattle.

Any other suggestions for comparable neighborhoods? We're looking for safety, access to amenities (restaurants, cafes, shops, etc.), family-friendliness, and we're willing to spend up a bit if it means the right place for us.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 AM

32 posts, read 89,055 times
Default Fantastic Pictures

I went to Lowell elementary on E. Mercer in the seventies and have not been back to the area since the early nineties. My wife and I are considering trying something different than Boston and these pictures make me want to pack my stuff (nice work whoever posted them). Is it possible to live on Capitol Hill and send kids to public schools these days?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
No, unfortunately it's not!

HUsband and I, prekids, lived across the street from Lowell and I walked to work at Rainbow grocery.... and he walked to work at the Gravity Bar....

That was a fun, carefree time!!

Love the neighborhood...

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

32 posts, read 89,055 times
Jenbar - where did you end up moving post kids? Just curious what someone's next choice would be post Capitol Hill...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Magnolia...

And then from there, to beat the commute with our new "corporate jobs", Redmond.... then when we decided to buy a home, Issaquah... and finally, when we needed a larger home (that was affordable) Bothell...

and then when we got tired of the rat race, weather and cost of living... Austin, TX. Best move yet!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
and then when we got tired of the rat race, weather and cost of living... Austin, TX. Best move yet!!!!
I realize that everybody is different, likes different climates, weather, etc, but I spent a few years living in the Dallas area and occasionally working in Austin. When the job was over I left Texas and never looked back!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:24 PM

I don't know how often you were in Austin, or if you had a chance to explore it... but Austin is leaps and bounds different in comparision to Dallas.... Austin is the ONLY place in Texas I could live, especially coming from a locale like Seattle.... and being pretty much the stereotype for "progressive, young, seattle family".

True though, everybody is different...

Loved Seattle while we were there, really glad to be gone....

Old 01-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
Love your photos, pwright1. You do a great job.

I printed this series because my wife and I will be in Seattle this weekend, and one of the things we're doing is scouting out potential neighborhoods. Capitol Hill is on the list. Others we'll probably drive through (or walk, depending on the baby's eating/sleeping routine) include Queene Anne, Ballard, and West Seattle.

Any other suggestions for comparable neighborhoods? We're looking for safety, access to amenities (restaurants, cafes, shops, etc.), family-friendliness, and we're willing to spend up a bit if it means the right place for us.
Within Seattle, I'd vote for a drive around Magnolia, if you have a heavy, low profile vehicle so as not to be blown around by the huge storm. It doesn't have much in the way of amenities but is pretty in parts, nicely landscaped yards. Discovery Park in Magnolia is nice, especially if you can find a view of the setting sun. Well, the setting grey glow this weekend.

Oh, there are condos around Pike Place and Belltown, if you like being near the action.

Issaquah in my opinion would be one of the best places to raise a kid, excellent schools and easy access to the wilderness.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,908 times
Default Greenlake/Wallingford/Phinney Ridge

I'd spend some time looking at each of those neighborhoods given your search criteria. They all bleed in to one another, and all have amenities, are family-friendly, and offer good detatched, single-family housing. Greenlake park is a gem as well, particularly if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area