Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 49,942 times

Advertisements

My fiance is moving out to Seattle in the beginning of March (I'm moving out in June) and we are looking at apartments in Bellevue. My fiance workplace is in Seattle near I-90. Is his commute going to awful? We realize Bellevue is not the ideal commute but we don't want to live directly in Seattle proper. We are looking for something more suburbian than Seattle. I just don't want to get there and sign a lease to realize we made a huge mistake because our facts weren't straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Bellevue is a big place. If you find a place fairly close to I-90 you should be fine, and public transit might be an option. Closer to SR 520 would make the commute longer, possibly to the point of painful.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
If you're on I90 before 7am - the traffic is not bad. And, like Ira500 said, just try to get a place close to I90 in Bellevue. Sometimes the longest part of a commute is getting to the freeway. And, if you're close to I90, busses are plentiful.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the ressurance! We are trying to look for places very close to I-90 and we plan to avoid 520 completely! We realize Bellevue is still a big place but we are finding we might be able to get more "bang for our buck" there and still have a decent apartment.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobber_09 View Post
My fiance is moving out to Seattle in the beginning of March (I'm moving out in June) and we are looking at apartments in Bellevue. My fiance workplace is in Seattle near I-90. Is his commute going to awful? We realize Bellevue is not the ideal commute but we don't want to live directly in Seattle proper. We are looking for something more suburbian than Seattle. I just don't want to get there and sign a lease to realize we made a huge mistake because our facts weren't straight.
Why not live in Seattle? Away from "downtown" Seattle has a lot of neat neighborhoods that are very residential, and your commute will be far easier. Keep in mind Seattle is a very large city geographically and has a lot of residential areas.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
I90 is definitely the lesser of two evils between the two floating bridges. Really, if you live anywhere in south Bellevue, your commute will be relatively easy. Definitely consider public transit - don't knock it until you try it.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 PM

toughguy -Public transit would be the best option but he will have a company vehicle that he will need to drive to and from work and to job sites. Otherwise, sitting and reading a book instead of trying to drive would be my first choice. But, I'm happy to hear that it shouldn't be a bad commute!

AlohaHuey - I'm probably making a lot of assumptions about living in Seattle. At first I was seriously looking at several neighborhoods in Seattle thinking that is where we would want to be. My fiance really likes Alki beach area and I was looking in Ballard or Green Lake area. What I found was really expensive and SMALL apartments. What I found in Bellevue gave us more space for our money. But then again we haven't look at them yet so I might be eating my words. Do you have any apartment suggestions? Our rent budget is about $1200 a month give or take a little.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
1200 a month for a 1bdrm? Are you looking strictly into apartments? Have you looked into Craigslist?

Maybe you should also look into Mercer Island, it'll be a little closer to work.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
1200 a month for a 1bdrm? Are you looking strictly into apartments? Have you looked into Craigslist?

Maybe you should also look into Mercer Island, it'll be a little closer to work.
Is $1200 not a realistic amount? I found three apartment complexes that I'm pretty interested in and have contacted them about prices and it is around that amount give or take a little. Given in part that most complexes are having rent specials right now. I mostly search websites such as rent.com forrent.com seattlerentals.com...most have the same results. I have looked on Craigslist fairly regularly and find some that I have never heard of but most that catch my eye at first I find that I have already researched.

I would LOVE to be on Mercer Island. But there doesn't seem to be very many apartments and the ones I do find are either past my budget or get horrible reviews. So I have gave up on Mercer Island and focused my attention elsewhere. But this might be because I'm not searching in the right place.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Oh, I was just asking because there was no mention of how many bedrooms. For a 1bdrm, it's more than enough.

ETA: Sometimes apartments will post ads on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area