Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,977 times

Advertisements

Relocating from NC and wondering about drive times in morning to downtown hospitals? Would prefer 30 minute commute if possible. Where to purchase home? Only husband and me -no kids so schools not a concern, except for resale purposes. Suggestions on neighborhoods to live? Would like a garage and neighborhood feel to area. Also, any input on hospitals - I'm a Oncology infusion nurse and looking at Fred Hutchinson, Swedish and Virginia Mason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 11:20 AM

269 posts, read 1,244,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdew View Post
Relocating from NC and wondering about drive times in morning to downtown hospitals? Would prefer 30 minute commute if possible. Where to purchase home? Only husband and me -no kids so schools not a concern, except for resale purposes. Suggestions on neighborhoods to live? Would like a garage and neighborhood feel to area. Also, any input on hospitals - I'm a Oncology infusion nurse and looking at Fred Hutchinson, Swedish and Virginia Mason.
None of those are in downtown itself. The main units of Swedish and Virginia Mason are a few (very hilly!) blocks apart up on First Hill; Fred Hutch is down at South Lake Union. There's also Harborview also on First Hill, and I think both Swedish and Virginia Mason have units elsewhere in town.

I work in both those areas, and I commute by bus, for the most part: I drive to a park-and-ride and bus from there. There's a very convenient route (#303, see the Metro Transit site at Metro Online Home Page (http://transit.metrokc.gov/ - broken link)) that runs from points north directly to First Hill ... its last stop before downtown is at the park & ride at Northgate Transit Center. There are other routes from other areas, but that's the one I know best.

Fred Hutch is half-convenient for bus commuting. The only routes with rush-hour service that it's listed as being on are the 66 and the 70. But most of the express routes that run southward through downtown before heading north actually start on Eastlake Ave at Fred Hutch, so for your going-home commute you can get on those right at their origin point. (Or, you can ride any of those into downtown and change buses there with no hassles.) The other part of that "half-convenient" is that not much goes directly there; unless you're right on the 66 or 70 line itself, you'll change buses downtown and catch a 70 back northward to get to FHCRC in the morning.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
For a 5-10 minute drive to Swedish or Virginia Mason I suggest some of the Seattle neighborhoods just east of these hospitals. Madrona, Leschi, the Central District and Madison Valley are cool. All are quite residential with coffee houses, restaurants and markets within walking distance. Plus public transportation is excellent with the #2 and the #3 buses dropping you right at the front door to both hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area