Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 29,294 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently retired in Colorado. I am thinking about moving to the Seattle area in 2009. I have visted Seattle and like what I see. Ideally I would like to find a townhome or condo in a gay community or at least a gay friendly area. I would like to have the option of not having to get in the car to go shopping. Is anyone aware of a gay retirement community planned for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
There are lots of condos on Capitol Hill, Seattle's traditionally gay area, though the gay community has spread out over the years. Capitol Hill is densely populated, and you wouldn't need a car to shop. It's not an inexpensive area, but it's friendly and nice, especially around 15th Ave east.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Ira500's recommendation is spot-on. Actually, Capitol Hill is a lot of fun. Merry, I'd call it. Lived on Bellevue Avenue East for 5 years. That's at the western edge of Capitol Hill, just east of I-5 but way up a hill (duh!) and you'd have to work hard to hear freeway sounds. Every kind of shopping you could want is there, from bistros, banks and books stores to megamarts, designer outlets, chain pizza places, movies, clothing, furniture -- you get the idea. On Mapquest or similar, we're talking about the area bounded by:
E. Pike St. on the south;
I-5 interstate highway on the west;
probably E. Galer St. or Volunteer Park on the north (that "boundary" has become a movable feast over the years;
23rd Ave. E. on the east (also a bit movable).

However, the whole area in and around Seattle, including pretty much all of Seattle's neighborhoods to the north and east (incl. Cap.Hill), and the communities on the east side of Lake Washington (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond) are relaxed places for gays to live. The vast, vast majority of communities east of Lake Washington are spread-out suburbs and are NOT within enjoyable walking distance of retailers. But most of the Seattle neighborhoods surrounding downtown ARE within walking distance of retailers. And those neighborhoods are already quite gay-friendly and just chock-full of condos mostly in shorter buildings (3-4 stories).

Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM

51 posts, read 221,441 times
Just to let you know, many people smoke on Capitol Hill, and it is a second-hand smoking nightmare. This might not be an issue for you, but you should be aware of it if it is.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 29,294 times
Default Smoking in Seattle

As a non smoker I appreciate the information about second hand smoke. Does Seattle have smoke free areas in public areas? I know that in Colorado you cannot smoke in a public building.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Shadow View Post
As a non smoker I appreciate the information about second hand smoke. Does Seattle have smoke free areas in public areas? I know that in Colorado you cannot smoke in a public building.
Yes, Seattle, indeed the entire state has very strict public smoking laws. In short, smoking is not allowed in any public building, including restaurants and bars.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM

51 posts, read 221,441 times
The problem with the second hand smoke in Capitol Hill, versus other places in the area, is it's a walkable neighborhood (good), but the concentration of smokers on the Hill is really high (bad). The result is a lot of people walking while smoking. Then there are all the people smoking outside of stores/restaurants/bars/bus stops.

As a person who suffers from asthma, I'm basically forced to hold my breath at the first whiff of cigarettes. Often, I'll just walk across the street to avoid it, which doesn't always work.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,978 times
I am retired and disabled, live in heart of Seattle at The Viewpointe on Queen Anne in the Queen Anne neighborhood. We are welcome here as are our friends. Bus stops front and rear of bldg. Near lake, fantastic views and if you are a walker--walk right to downtown! I prefer diversity, that includes all races, creeds, ages, etc.--I suggest The Viewpoint on QA. (The most affordable retirement place in Seattle too!) 206-282-5777 for a tour and free brunch. Diane J Standiford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area