Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,704 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving from Phoenix to Seattle and I was wondering how much money I need to save. Ill be moving with my boyfriend who will be going a head of me a month. We want to live near the downtown area, he mentioned Capitol Hill, First Hill and...others? Yeah I cant remember but excluding moving cost like a U Haul how much do you think I need to get into an apartment? And how long does the process usually take before you can move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,727 times
It really depends on the individual apartment. I would look around on craigslist to get an idea. Many require a security deposit along with the first and last month's rent to move in. Just as a heads up: Rents in Seattle do tend to be quite a bit higher when compared to Phoenix. If you want to be near downtown, Capitol Hill and Queen Anne are my personal favorites but there are some other great ones too. Enjoy Seattle!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM

23 posts, read 61,178 times
You're probably looking at $900+ for a reasonable 1BR apartment near capitol hill/queen anne and $1100+ for a 2BR. How long it takes usually depends on the apartment management. They usually need an application fee (back ground check), first month's rent, and a deposit. Also cost of living here is slightly higher than Phoenix, so I'd say plan to spend about 20% more each month on things like food and gas.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
The living costs etc. are very important, but are you prepared for the Climate Change ???
It will almost be the reverse of Seattleites moving to Pheonix.

YIKES !!!

Many of our good friends that travel for winter to Pheonix are either back here now or on there way.
We are just entering the time frame for our best weather of the year. Lasts about 4 months and then back we go.
Try to find an Apt. that is light and airy if you can.

Lots of luck.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM

166 posts, read 443,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans49 View Post
I plan on moving from Phoenix to Seattle and I was wondering how much money I need to save. Ill be moving with my boyfriend who will be going a head of me a month. We want to live near the downtown area, he mentioned Capitol Hill, First Hill and...others? Yeah I cant remember but excluding moving cost like a U Haul how much do you think I need to get into an apartment? And how long does the process usually take before you can move in?

I hope you love the rain (-: today we had a huge down pour and lots of lightning, but I love it. I am ready for some sun, and we will probably get around two months of it. That is just enough for me It's been an extra long above average rainfall. Nothing like the smell of wet bruised pine in the clean air. My grandparents lived in Phx, and I can say when I went there for a 3 weeks visit as a child I was on the phone ready to go home after 5 days. I've never been back.

I hope you like living here, it's a beautiful city with a lot to do. I can't say much about apartment renting here, I haven't lived in one since I was a young adult, and don't ever intend to live in one again. It's a good time to relocate though as there are so many with a lot of vacancy's and the landlords want them filled so you should be able to find something good.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
To aevans: The cost of living seems higher in Seattle than in Phoenix. For one example, 1 bedroom apartments for places such as Capital Hill will be at least $800 a month for the most part. However, I think the average early salary is high here. Be prepared for the drastic change in scenery, city life, and weather! Western Washington vs. Arizona are like polar opposite places in many ways.

To Masika: Seattle gets much more than just 2 months of sun 4-6 months of sun is more like it. It really can be sunny almost any month of the year, even in winter. I like the way you describe the area though! I agree that its beautiful with a lot to do.

So why did you have such a negative experience with Phoenix!? Just curious.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post

To Masika: Seattle gets much more than just 2 months of sun 4-6 months of sun is more like it. It really can be sunny almost any month of the year, even in winter. I like the way you describe the area though! I agree that its beautiful with a lot to do.

So why did you have such a negative experience with Phoenix!? Just curious.

I know we do, (I'm talking about this summer) otherwise I'd say it is closer to about 4. I can't remember a year where it has been 6 ever, but I don't count . As I said I like the rain, so when I see big black clouds rolling in it makes me smile. Besides it's a long standing tradition to discourage too many from moving up here. Hiking through the forests after a summer thunderstorm, nothing like it!

As for Phx, it was hot, dusty, my grandparents would let me go out and play "too hot, you'll get heat stroke". So what do kids that live there do? I guess they were too lazy to take me places and show me the beauty of Az. I know it's there; I've seen pictures.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 AM

To Masika: Seattle has 2,000-2,100 sunshine hours a year, so that is supposed to equal 5-6 months. 2,000-2,100 hours of sunshine a year sounds like enough sunshine/a lot sunshine for me. haha It seems like Seattle is always consistently sunny July-September, and then other months(February-June, and October) can be hit or miss, with November-January usually being very cloudy and rainy.

I like rain too, and rain can put me in a good mood. I dont like temperatures above 88 degrees. I think I would have a negative experience with Phoenix as well if I visited.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM

I agree on the length of sunny days from the end of June through Sept, and last summer those stretch of days where it was over 90?? No AC, myself and our 3 cats were stayed on the floor without moving. 2 of them are long hair, fans help. That was so miserable that is had me flashing back to Phx haha, but at least they have AC! The next best thing to rain is when everything has started to bloom and we get that first day of sun without wind, you know the kind of day I'm talking about. It's the perfect blend of sun without the heat I fear this year we are going to jump right into hot. I'm not fond of like temps past 75, but I can take them for awhile. sitting in the shade while people watching at the North-folk fest is the best.

I think there is something her for everyone, well most everyone, but if you don't have a love of nature I fear you won't be very happy. This is what I love about Seattle, we've got the city life, but you don't feel lost in a concrete jungle. Beware aevans, soon the Alaska viaduct is going to be torn down, and driving is going to be a nightmare. Plan to live in an apartment near a bus line, or the light rail, better yet buy a mountain bike, and some nice rain gear. There really is some wonderful sunny days here, it's just a little slower getting here this spring, but when it does we should have non-stop sun for 2-3 months, and some days you might even feel like you never left Phx

Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 AM

I visited the Northwest one week-two weeks after that heat wave Summer 2009 and it was much colder. I had to wear a sweater a few times at night. It even snowed in the North Cascades a few weeks after that heat wave.

I agree that there is something here for everyone. This state has a lot of variety. I like Seattle's city feel/vibe as well. I agree about the sunny days here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area