Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Hail no, it isn't good! And there are those who try to pin us down, for not wanting to live in the urban areas, with the teeming masses of unwashed humanity. Now, if we could change our skin color, Sub...

Look at Baltimore. It's leftist mayor admitted that they gave the rioters "space" to destroy property! Why? Do they need to "get it out of their systems"?? At whose expense? And why have SWAT raids gone from 3,000 per year in the 1980's, to over 80,000 per year today?

And in how many of those raids do they target the wrong house? How many times do they shoot the homeowner, or even sadder, shoot their dogs? Then I read that New Jersey has decided not to allow their police units to acquire "miitary" gear. Question: why do ANY states need to outfit their police with military gear?

Yeah...living in urban areas...do they really need to ask me why not??
Hey, if you have all the people penned into a small area they're easier to control. Instead of needing hundreds of thousands to control vast areas of territory, you only need a few hundred to pen folks into a small densly populated area.

Why do you think the Nazis and the Communists used concentration camps and ghettos?

Folks who are outside the established limits require more officers to run down and keep under the thumb of the ruling commisar.

City living is perfect for controlling the population by controlling the food supply, water, power, and yes, even the economic opportunities are funneled into a small district like wall street so they are easier to track and tax.

Cities are tailor made for controlling people, so sure, there are those that prefer the government to watch over every moment of your lives from cradle to grave, telling you where to go, what you can do, where you can live, so they feel more comfortable living under someones control.
If the all-knowing, all caring government makes a mistake every once in a while and kills some innocent, so what?
Plenty more where those came from.

Those that choose to live under the government's thumb can't understand why other's want to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own lives. It's an alien concept to them, so they will deride those that choose to live outside the shelter of the herd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Hey, if you have all the people penned into a small area they're easier to control. Instead of needing hundreds of thousands to control vast areas of territory, you only need a few hundred to pen folks into a small densly populated area.

Why do you think the Nazis and the Communists used concentration camps and ghettos?

Folks who are outside the established limits require more officers to run down and keep under the thumb of the ruling commisar.

City living is perfect for controlling the population by controlling the food supply, water, power, and yes, even the economic opportunities are funneled into a small district like wall street so they are easier to track and tax.

Cities are tailor made for controlling people, so sure, there are those that prefer the government to watch over every moment of your lives from cradle to grave, telling you where to go, what you can do, where you can live, so they feel more comfortable living under someones control.
If the all-knowing, all caring government makes a mistake every once in a while and kills some innocent, so what?

Those that choose to live under the government's thumb can't understand why other's want to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own lives. It's an alien concept to them, so they will deride those that choose to live outside the shelter of the herd.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Don't you know that's it's really because you and I are so steenkin' RICH??

How I wish....

Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
Just to clarify, I use the word "worried" in my title to refer to being concerned for the safety of my family, close friends, and the earth itself in coming years - not paranoid about everything. So anyway, I am a guy in his early 20's who lives in the urban northeast. More and more as I live here, I come to dislike it. The whole rat race mentality makes me depressed. As it is, I am in few ways, if any, self-sufficient.

As for my desires to be self-sufficient, it comes not just from a desire to be able to support myself by myself in the event of some global economic meltdown or something, but from a desire to live in harmony with the earth itself, rather than destroying it for more human development (yes, I'm a tree-hugger to a degree as well). The difficulty here is excommunicating myself from the society that I've become dependent on. On one hand, I have to deal with previous poor financial decisions (namely, student loan stuff). The other is my family, who have always been good to me, but they wish me to finish college, which goes against every desire I have.

I don't mean to bore everyone with my story, but I'm looking for some generic advice and how a young man steps out from the confines of society and establishes himself as truly self-sufficient. If this thread goes anywhere, I'm sure I'll ask some more specific questions. For the moment though, one thing that has been fascinating me recently is the concept of earthbag building. Is anyone familiar with it? It seems like a home-building method that is eco-friendly, affordable, and durable. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd worry more about general safety in the world from events that happen every day by what is termed nature and by human action such as accidents. One could go crazy for example wayching the atomic clock.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
It served a particular agenda. People were forced into these places. Nobody forces anybody to live in a city.

Quote:
I suppose you can put a negative spin on anything. Cities are also great for presenting economic opportunities, educational opportunities, concentrating knowledge and facilitating exchange of knowledge, art, so on and so on. The economies of cities scale.

Quote:
Cities have existed since the beginning of time. Even freedom-seeking Americans established cities, even in the beloved 1880s (the era everyone is horny about on this forum)

Quote:
I still do not see how you living on your Daddy's acreage and drawing a government paycheck all your life makes you any more free than me....Please enlighten us

Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
It served a particular agenda. People were forced into these places. Nobody forces anybody to live in a city.

If you have to go to a city just to get a job that pays for a specific lifestyle you want because you're told that's what you have to have, then maybe not forced at gunpoint, but definately coreced.

I suppose you can put a negative spin on anything. Cities are also great for presenting economic opportunities, educational opportunities, concentrating knowledge and facilitating exchange of knowledge, art, so on and so on. The economies of cities scale.

Cities are also great for crime, filth, controlling access to amenities, for living one on top of another like ants or termites in a hill, never being able to do anything without people looking over your shoulder, for never being able to drop your guard, etc. etc. etc.
Far more negatives than any posatives.

Cities have existed since the beginning of time. Even freedom-seeking Americans established cities, even in the beloved 1880s (the era everyone is horny about on this forum)

People have always banded together in tribes or clans for protection against agressors that want to take what they have. Old cities had a fortified wall around them, now, uncle sugar owns everything instead of a feudal lord and the danger comes from within instead of without.

I still do not see how you living on your Daddy's acreage and drawing a government paycheck all your life makes you any more free than me....Please enlighten us
Thanks for reminding me why I had you on ignore under your other screenname. If you leave the forum, you really should honor your word.

Again, for the 100th whatever time, I don't live on Daddy's acreage, I live in a home I bought for myself, on land I bought for myself, but I am a full partner in the property my family owns. Interesting concept, many people pool their money to purchase large investements and then share ownership. It's called a partnership. You may wish to investigate this concept sometime.

Not sure where you get your information that I draw a government paycheck although I did serve 8 years in the military, one year of which was in the former Yugoslavia trying to keep the Croats and Serbs from slaughtering each other and the Bosniacs wholesale as they've done since time immemoral.
Very civilized place Europe, about every 50 years or so they try to obliterate themselves.

As usual, you have no idea what you're talking about, so Just keep trolling along.

I think it was Goebbles in Nazi Germany that said:
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.â€

Just because you tell a lie doesn't make it the truth.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Not sure where you get your information that I draw a government paycheck although I did serve 8 years in the military
Well, that's 8 years of a government paycheck for starters. I am not drawing any information from anywhere but here - I believe you stated in one or more posts on this forum that you work for the state government.

Mind you, I don't care who you work for - a job is a job. I am merely pointing out that woking for X and then pooh-poohing X is hypocritical.

As for the rest of your reply: it is difficult to quote your inserted red italics and answer to them point by point. Is that intentional?

Cities have always served a purpose other than what you state - they are organic creations arising from human needs, mostly for economies of scale. Where do you find the best surgeons? In a city hospital. How about scientists? At a University (most often in the city). How about professionals of any kind? In the city. Why? Because so many people live in the city, there is competition, needs for services etc.

Folks today can retreat to their cozy homestead an hour outside the city because technology has increased reach of services available. Technology built because of and made possible by economies of scale only cities allow. You, me, we all benefit from all that.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:29 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
I don't mean to bore everyone with my story, but I'm looking for some generic advice and how a young man steps out from the confines of society and establishes himself as truly self-sufficient. I
He gets vocational training and/or a college education and becomes entirely self supporting. Then he pursues his own dreams.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me why I had you on ignore under your other screenname. If you leave the forum, you really should honor your word.
That's what I told him. He's getting disruptive again.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Well, that's 8 years of a government paycheck for starters. I am not drawing any information from anywhere but here - I believe you stated in one or more posts on this forum that you work for the state government.

Mind you, I don't care who you work for - a job is a job. I am merely pointing out that woking for X and then pooh-poohing X is hypocritical.

As for the rest of your reply: it is difficult to quote your inserted red italics and answer to them point by point. Is that intentional?

Cities have always served a purpose other than what you state - they are organic creations arising from human needs, mostly for economies of scale. Where do you find the best surgeons? In a city hospital. How about scientists? At a University (most often in the city). How about professionals of any kind? In the city. Why? Because so many people live in the city, there is competition, needs for services etc.

Folks today can retreat to their cozy homestead an hour outside the city because technology has increased reach of services available. Technology built because of and made possible by economies of scale only cities allow. You, me, we all benefit from all that.
Your information is incorrect then. You conveniently overlooked the posts where I stated that I own a company involved in alternative energies and bio-diesel in part because I do have a degree in Electronics so I do most of the design work for the company.
I also own a small business doing custom blacksmithing.
I also ranch.
I also do consulting work in business law.

Shall I continue?

I did serve in the military for 8 years, and the paycheck from that stopped the day I received my Honorable Discharge.
Dealing with the civilian government while in the military is a major portion of the reason I have such a distrust of government now.
I still work closely with government as I have to testify in front of the state legislature on business bills as an informational witness telling the legislators and senators what impact their bills will have on business in my state.

I don't care if somebody works for the government, there are a lot of good folks that do and work to the best of their ability within the restrictions of their offices. I just don't have any use for the mindless drones that only exist to create hardship on the citizens and find new ways to confiscate their money for some "worthy" project that usually only serves to line their own pockets at the expense of the people that actually could use some help.

I don't care if you want to live in a city, in fact, the more people that live in a city the better because that means they aren't taking land that others could put to good use. Cities in early Sumaria for example sprouted up at river crossings or harbors where there was commerce and trade, and where there was shipping or trading of goods, there was money so here came the government to get their cut without producing any useful product. Nothing has changed.

Cities are a great place to keep the masses contained so they don't contaminate the rural areas so the rural areas are a better place to live. You can keep your stoners and gang-bangers, the thugs and rioters, you can keep your tiny cramped overpriced apartments, the endless traffic and noise, the smells of rotten sewage and decaying trash everywhere, and the all encompassing government control. I'll stay far away from it and enjoy life instead.

Folks lived on homesteads way before technology hooked up the rural areas to electricity and phones as well as the modern satalite tv and computer. Some of us still have places that don't have power or running water or internet connections, and that's the way we like it.

I don't care how you want to live, you do your thing and I'll do mine.
Deal?

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 04-28-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness