Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

It's cold in Maine, but we are the most heavily forested state. Wood is plentiful and free if you own your land. We can use hydro power for electricity. A nozzle running a GM alternator can generate a lot of power in 24 hours. Just be sure to screen the intake or you'll plug your nozzle with leaves. I live on 107 acres in a house built in 1885. I could live the way they did if I had to, but computers are fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm also interested in a partnership with my land....not with the government. I've been studying my checkbook for confirmation that I am, indeed, merely a battery for the Matrix. I have paid more in taxes, permits, and other government fees than I GROSSED....over the past three or four months.

I can only hope that Texas can successfully declare Independence, that would be a short trip for me.
What makes you think that if Texas became an independent nation (chances of that being less than your being struck by lightning, but that's a different subject) they would even let you in? They wouldn't have to, you know.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm also interested in a partnership with my land....not with the government. I've been studying my checkbook for confirmation that I am, indeed, merely a battery for the Matrix. I have paid more in taxes, permits, and other government fees than I GROSSED....over the past three or four months.

I can only hope that Texas can successfully declare Independence, that would be a short trip for me.

I have been working on going off the grid for awhile. Most would be surprised what that costs:
Solar power....expensive
Batteries....expensive
Wind energy....expensive
Well water....expensive
Firewood....expensive
Propane....expensive
Property taxes....expensive
Gas to run into town....expensive

Buying the land is only the beginning......
Very True...

However, instead of simply relocating, one should consider the off-grid necessity to reduce consumption.
For example, an autonomous house (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Autonomous%20Domicile - broken link), with superinsulation, would have reduced need for energy input to keep comfortable.
Instead of drilling a well, collect rainwater (nature's distilled) into a cistern.
Use a composting (aerobic digester) toilet to reduce water consumption.
Don't put in a fireplace or wood stove (unless you want to cook with the stove).
Regarding property taxes, don't buy real estate, buy private property (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Private%20property - broken link).

Don't give up hope.
And please read law - don't let them fool you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hrive-die.html

Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Once had a co-worker who moved to Libby, Montana and had a log home built in the hills, and the local Amish helped them (yes, there is an Amish community there; however, before having negative thoughts, remember that they are very peaceful people who wouldn't bother you). Almost no one for neighbors at the time. It does snow a lot there, though.
Libby is not a place to move to. It's beautiful but the vermiculite mining has poisoned the air and water. Cancer rates and deaths have skyrocketed. Very sad story there.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Libby is not a place to move to. It's beautiful but the vermiculite mining has poisoned the air and water. Cancer rates and deaths have skyrocketed. Very sad story there.
Well, if you lived rurally and did not venture into town a lot, you would probably be ok. It is the people who live in town that are exposed to the asbestos... read about it here: Mesothelioma Cancer Affects Libby, Montana Residents - Movie Trailer

Causal visits to town for supplies and shopping wouldn't be that deadly, I wouldn't think.

Even so, if you are that hinky about it, there are tons of other little towns in Montana that would probably be just as good (and might even also have Amish folks around to help with the cabin).

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, if you lived rurally and did not venture into town a lot, you would probably be ok. It is the people who live in town that are exposed to the asbestos... read about it here: Mesothelioma Cancer Affects Libby, Montana Residents - Movie Trailer

Causal visits to town for supplies and shopping wouldn't be that deadly, I wouldn't think.

Even so, if you are that hinky about it, there are tons of other little towns in Montana that would probably be just as good (and might even also have Amish folks around to help with the cabin).

20yrsinBranson
The mine isn't in the town itself...it's near the town. The contamination also involves the surrounding area. There is still some concern that people are still at risk from air contamination.
I've been to Libby many times and I love it. I wouldn't buy land there though. Why take the risk when there are so many other places.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I think Oregon is your state.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgalvan View Post
.... and live in an area of friendly people that welcome newcomers from the city life that want to live simply. with the way things are going, we are looking for a place to live that is full of people that aren't "sheeple" and will fight for their rights among other things.

Free states with Libertarians and people that care about people.
I don't know if you are familiar with the Free State Project, but I can tell you that there is in fact such a place where you will be welcomed with open arms into a very tight knit community of people.

The police in the NH localities aren't quite as open and agreeable as the FSP'ers are with respect to that whole darn liberty thing, but that's beside the point and that's more a reflection of an overall trend across the country that several people have tried to express. The way the FSP'ers choose to handle the occasional government annoyance is to form very tight knit cliques that support each other (including when a member occasionally gets into a tiff with the law over open carrying and being harassed for that carry, or other trivial matters), and by also employing a technique known as agorism and counter-economics, which for purposes of discussion herein I'll just simplify and say that it means they make a concerted effort to do many of their liberty activities "off the radar" or otherwise even doing it openly and defying certain malum prohibitum laws that are deemed extremely averse to liberty.

You may not be interested in east coast living, so this may not be for you because of its location, but I'll mention it anyway.... if you want to at least explore the option of the FSP, for the last seven or eight or so years they have held a fantastic yearly camping event in late June. It's a week long, and if you want to see hospitality and welcoming.... you go there for a few days, camp, party, and decide for yourself. The event is called "Porcfest," and the information can be found online.

Also, there used to be a other free state initiative out west called Free State Wyoming, which is run by a fellow nicknamed Boston T. Party who I am sure many people here may know, author of the books Molon Labe and Bostons Gun Bible. Free State Wyoming used to have a very nice outdoor festival, though I don't know how active they are nowadays.

Both of these initiatives have websites, and forums. The FSP thing has even split into like five different forums, many of them are quite active.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 02-21-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
The mine isn't in the town itself...it's near the town. The contamination also involves the surrounding area. There is still some concern that people are still at risk from air contamination.
I've been to Libby many times and I love it. I wouldn't buy land there though. Why take the risk when there are so many other places.
Yeah, in my searches for various placed to live, I have read about Libby and watched a bunch of YouTube videos on that whole unfortunate pollution thing.

Supposedly they have been working on straightening it out for a long time, and finally decontaminating the place (more or less), so it's no longer the problem it once was. The health problems seemed to be confined mainly to the older generation who lived there during that time when it was at its worst, but supposedly the younger generation should be okay, now that they did a lot of the clean-up.

Still, I don't know if I'd want to buy there.... though I see no real harm in buying in the vicinity, and going into town for supplies.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have no idea.

Maine has around 3,478 miles of shoreline. Maine has more shoreline than California, and is second only to Florida.
There's Alaska, supposedly 33,904 miles of shoreline. Estimated tidal shoreline, including islands, inlets and shoreline to head of tidewater, is 47,300 miles (whatever that means... don't understand the difference between the two).

Alaska Division of Economic Development (http://www.dced.state.ak.us/ded/dev/student_info/learn/aboutgeography.htm - broken link)

Though a second source lists the shoreline as 54,563 miles.

Welcome to SLED :: FAQ Alaska (http://www.sled.alaska.edu/akfaq/akgeogr.html - broken link)

Both of these being government state websites, you'd figure their stats would agree... but in either case, needless to say the shoreline is considerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness