Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM

122 posts, read 240,819 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to get rich, only to sustain myself and my family. I am a minimalist at heart and by nature, so I don't put too much value in materialistic things. The things I want for us money can't buy... I was thinking of trying to find some foreclosure properties but I don't know all the details on how that works. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for it up front, which I saw some properties in Maine for like $20,000. I could come up with that, but I'm sure there are plenty of hidden cost I don't know about.So I now wonder where a good place to buy land would be? Please no suggestions to the west, I've been there and yes it's beautiful, but thats all. It won't even be around much longer... I need fertile land...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I am not into relestate at all. Prices like 20,000 in Maine i bet are way up north and very remote, with harsher winters than in the 3 states you mentioned in their southern parts. Some people love it up there.

NH used to be a lot different than it is, the last vestage of a conservitive place to be, but now the taxes are all the same as any other libral state. We don't have sales tax, but take a beating on property tax. The tax situation is just out of hand.

It takes money to stay here. Of course when you can't pay up you can live in the woods.

But don't make the error to think life here is a golden road lined with a green path. Rural life is hard. keeps people fit.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Our whole life has been hard, it makes a person stronger. I have no illusions that there is a golden road lined with a green path ANYWHERE! I just want to find a small parcel of land that will have the seasons I need to grow family crops. I wouldn't object to living in the woods... I've done that along with living in the mountains, ocean, and the desert.My one big problem with that is i now have 3 kids and I'm not ready to run to the forest just yet with them.( not saying it won't happen sooner than later,though) My oldest girl has lived all over and off the land with me (she's 8) But my little ones ( ages 3 and4) have only been out to the great north west. Out of everywhere I've been(35 states in all) the north east seems like it would be the best/easiest place to sustain ourselves off the land.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
OK - maybe I've been hidden under a rock or something... I know we have solar eclipses when the moon blocks the sun's light from the earth, and lunar eclipses when the earth blocks the sun's light from the moon... but what's an "earth eclipse"?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 AM

377 posts, read 878,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
So while I know lots of plants to eat start fire with a bow drill, what ever happen on or before 2012 won't make much difference to me.
Yes, you are very well prepared, plus have an experience actually living like there is no civilization around you

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM

377 posts, read 878,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
OK - maybe I've been hidden under a rock or something... I know we have solar eclipses when the moon blocks the sun's light from the earth, and lunar eclipses when the earth blocks the sun's light from the moon... but what's an "earth eclipse"?
I think the OP meant a planetary (or Galactic) alignment.
According to the planetary alignment 2012, earth will be at the center and sun will be present at the top. It is expected that the rising sun will come in a straight line with the black hole which is situated in the center of the Milky Way. The rising sun will touch its lower orbit which can cause many changes in the position of the heavenly bodies.
2012 is important as it will decide the position of the planets on this particular year.
It can cause destruction to the life of human beings present on Earth.
This Galactic Alignment occurs only once every 26,000 years, and was what the ancient Maya were pointing to with the 2012 end-date of their Long Count calendar.
Again, not "the end of the world", but the end of a calendar and the beginnig of a new one.
26,000 years... that's one LO-O-O-NG calendar

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, the end As We Know It....most of us will still be here but it will be a whole "new" world.Civilization "as we know it" will change and be totally different from what we are used to now...

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I have been to 40 states so far, and can't really tell one from the other. In 05 for 10 months into 06 my wife and I toured the USA leaving NH looking for a better place. We didn't find one, so we returned to NH. I am familar with the area, and can live off the land as if there were no civization as Indigo Light said.

However since I started in on this converstaion I have been running a low fever, my head is in a fog, and I have a upper respritory infection.

I was taken to the doc's yesterday as I am totally unfit to drive currently. So in a instance of no meds on or about 2012 I would just be dead, no matter what I know.

Christi there is no doubt you stand a chance, and maybe New England offers that chance, but I can't know that. For all I know New England will be ground zero for what ever happens if anything.

For all my life NE was a Soviet target, and we would have been amoungst the first to be gone at the stroke of mid-night on the Atomic Clock.

I looked at that problem when it was a problem, and found a few places that man might survive the direct attack, but probably still would extend life for not much more than a month.

One place is the Giants Stairs in the White Mountains National Forest. It has 2 water sources and commands a 270 degree view being up higher than most surrounding lands. It isn't easy to get there either, but could only serve the purpose with warning, and just be a place to take shelter short term.

The how I know is people were there in the hurricane of 1938 and recored there was a light misty rain with mild winds.

On the other side of that valley there is still blow down scars in rock, and smashed dead trees. All anyone has to do to see that is hike up the Nancy Brook Trail to the height of land.

I was assuming the targets would have been coastal NYC, Boston, the air base now gone in Portsmouth NH, the Navey bases there and others in Maine, plus the assorted Nike' bases up and down the coast. And of course Dover Foxcroft Maine, defunct now as well.

But that is a poltical thing as war just is. Somehow I had a big problem that it would really happen because Canada would take a hit for no reason, and I don't think anyone is that stupid to nuke another innocent country, knowing the effect, unlike in WW-2 when no one understood.

I do have family photos with family members standing with nothing to protect them on the first A bombs tests, which to me proves they had no idea of the danger present. I mean just standing out in the open not even a concrete wall ahead of them.

All that is pointless if what ever happens is an act of God/Nature.

Now if you just want to move here that's fine, but you just might be moving to ground zero.

This area has a bad fault line no one ever talks about starting at the Ossipee Ring D i k e (nannied word) that runs to Plum Island in Mass, and into the Atlantic. This fault is way over due to break.

A ring d i k e is of course a volcano, this one is deader than dead, and probably can never be active again, but never the less it sits on a nasty little fault line.

Quakes in NE are felt harder for a lot less power generated than out west. Probably a 4.8 here is about equal to a 8.5 in Cal due to the rock base we have here.

I have no idea what will happen if the poles swap, and with it the magnetic field we have that shelters us from gamma rays.

With that all I can assume is the field wouldn't just simply swap over and would be more like several magnets all fighting one another over a short period of earth time, meaning a few thousand years.

Man years are another count, and in earth years we are just a few seconds on the earth clock ticked off.

As I see it either way, a fool with his finger on the BUTTON, or a world wide Natural disaster, disease will be the real enemy even for those who could live off the land.

The end result is there is no better place to be. For all I know Antarctica will be the place to be. It could end up as a nice sunny beach like Jamacia no? The only problem there is it could take 5,000/10,000 years to get that way, and no one can live that long to find out.

I don't see that I have any clear advantage at all. I don't see anyone with a barrel full of money having any either.

All I can really say is i will try to survive it, and if i do I am gonna be King!

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 09-02-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Well...did you guys see that movie "2012" with Woody Harrelson playing the goofy guy in the RV on the mountainside? When the shtf, he was standing on the edge of the cliff, watching it all come down in his nutty fashion, and kept saying "it's so beautifullll!" until he was basically disintegrated-

Now there's a positive attitude if I've ever seen one- LOL

Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
And not that this has a thing in the world to do with this forum (except maybe for "attitude") but I can recall MANY years ago, when the AIDS business first hit- there was a gay man, one of the first documented to die, and I recall reading various interviews with him, etc.- it was all just so terrifying at that time, as nobody was sure just what exactly the disease was, how it progressed, etc. - but I recall on his deathbed, very shortly before he passed, he said his last words:

"Well....this should be interesting"

That stuck in my head for decades, I just never forgot it- simply because to me, his whole attitude about everything that had happened to him was so amazing.

There are so many things going on in this world these days, things that frighten all of us badly, things that we have never seen before, and to say that things are precarious is an understatement. But at the same time, we want to go on living our lives with at least some semblence of quality- not with our heads in the sand, but....truth is, there is a lot that is far beyond our control- and it would seem best to just control what we can. I think there's a lot of wisdom in that AA saying:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...to change the things I can....and the wisdom to know the difference"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness