Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times

Advertisements

This site is a great alternative to the better-known Recommended Retreat Areas many of us have read on Survival Blog:

Rogue Turtle: Threat Analysis

You can click on your present or intended state of residence and get an idea of where you probably shouldn't dig in for SHTF. I'm too close to the areas of avoidance in the Puget Sound area of Washington, for instance. Oh, well...

That same site has a wealth of good articles here:

Rogue Turtle Research: Popular

I liked the one on Booby Traps. For entertainment purposes only, of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Much better........ Book marked that one.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
A threat assessment for the Talladega Speedway?? Oh Plee-uzz. Not only did he mis-spell, anyone who has been to the area knows their ain't squat worth blowing up around there. Little but trees. And more trees. And still more trees. Did I mention the trees?

And does he really expect a massacre of NASCAR fans? Heck, if he was thinking those lines, he missed putting Auburn and Tuscaloosa as danger sites. I'd hate to see a physical war between those two.

Mildly entertaining, might be a good start for a fiction writer, but hopelessly silly.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
I had to chuckle when he mentioned Minnesota.

He stated that the " 10,000" lakes would give Minnesotans a place to retreat to and mentioned " rugged wilderness"

There is hardly a lake in Minnesota that doesn't already have cabins/homes taking up every ft of lakeshore.

A " rugged retreat" ? More of a joke !

Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Actually, regarding threats------------The biggest scare terrorists could do id to pick a small,rural city, in the middle of no-where ( "fly over country) and destroy it.

As a country, we would be shocked that a safe unimportant town got selected and it would cause us to believe there is no safe place.

Also, it would cause the government a nightmare to figure out how to protect places that were deemed unimportant and safe.

The physcological (sp) scars would be devasting as terrorists hit us where we least expected them to.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
Woohoo - I'm so glad I left WA cuz we were smack in the middle of those avoidance zones We're far enough away from all the avoidance areas and other threats (volcanoes and oil pipeline) now with enough mountains and forest between us and them to offer some decent measure of protection.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A threat assessment for the Talladega Speedway?? Oh Plee-uzz. Not only did he mis-spell, anyone who has been to the area knows their ain't squat worth blowing up around there. Little but trees. And more trees. And still more trees. Did I mention the trees?

And does he really expect a massacre of NASCAR fans? Heck, if he was thinking those lines, he missed putting Auburn and Tuscaloosa as danger sites. I'd hate to see a physical war between those two.

Mildly entertaining, might be a good start for a fiction writer, but hopelessly silly.
I thought it was interesting that he seemed to flag speedways (b/c of mass amount of people), but not any other sporting venue (like NFL or NBA stadiums). Just wondering the reasoning behind that and what else was left off.

I also like that he wrote "Relax and go fishing" in Lake Superior...

Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,304 times
Great info stonecypher5413, thank you!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:37 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,847 times
interesting read...Although, you mention active military bases yet not Air/Army Guard or Reserve Stations.

Every reserve/guard base I have been too has tanks, jets, ammo, bodies, etc....There is one in Portland Oregon (it is mentioned that Oregon has no military installation) as well as most states if not all have these facilities

Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I see a few obvious errors.

There is a Navy shipyard in Kittery Maine which is not shown, and a Navy shipyard in Bath Maine. The only Navy presence in the Bath shipyard is one office building, not enough to present a threat to anyone.

Then they show a Navy shipyard in Portsmouth where none exists.

Also the Winterharbor radio station was closed in 2001 and is now a single building in a national park.

Also it is missing Cutler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness