Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,121 times

Advertisements

A recent essay that nicely captures why many preppers view the humble chicken as THE perfect self-sufficiency critter:

"...
I've come to realize how important the chicken is to our civilization. It may be the most important animal that we have "domesticated." To those that know chickens I'm sure this will seem obvious, but, to me it was a revelation. I'd always taken the chicken for granted. Now I believe that anyone serious about "surviving" the crash had better have at a minimum a small flock of chickens to ease the transition."

Here's the whole essay: The Silver Bear Cafe

So do you have a backyard flock, or plans for one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
We do.

After a few years and watching the Federal NAIS rules being put into place [NAIS has since been rescinded]. We went for a series of chicken coops, each with a different breed.

We have one flock of White leghorn bantams, and one of Araucanas, and Rhode Island Reds, Cochins, Campbell ducks and blue slate turkeys.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Nope, no chickens at our place.

I've got cattle, used to raise hogs, but can't stand to be near anything with feathers on.

Glad others feel different, or I would not have eggs to purchase or chicken meat to buy.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Don't have any yet, but they'll be the first critters we get once we move to our country place. First chickens, then ducks, then turkeys, and then feeder pigs. Oh - and bees, of course!

Chickens and other poultry are not just good for the meat and eggs, but they produce feathers and down for bedding and clothing. I'm always tearing the sleeves of my down jackets, and DW has to stuff 'em with polyester before sewing it up. Not nearly as warm!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

I do enjoy watching the wild turkeys wandering up by farm buildings,though.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
None here, but neighbors do. I would but I rent, and the LL won't have it.

On the other hand there is a flock of wild turkey I see often, but don't hunt, and there is partridge year round. In legal season I hunt them, and would in shtf, anytime i wanted.

There a problem hunting then, which is the sound, and the expence of a few rnds. I do reload, but that still is time spent and materials used.

I also have black powder smoothbores, but still that is time and expence too. My LL has never known real hunger, so he can't understand shtf.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 AM

229 posts, read 440,034 times
I was looking at the movable coop/pen set ups recently, and they look to be good for many uses. The idea is to be able to put your flock to work in the garden and move them overnight while they roost.

I have wooded hillside where I hope to allow a mixed flock of fowl to free range. There are wild turkey that range quite a distance, frquently winding up in my walnut acreage. Would that be a potential problem?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
We usually have a small flock of five or six hens with an occasional rooster. Hens will lay eggs and are perfectly happy without a rooster, however, the eggs won't hatch into more chickens without the rooster. If we don't have a rooster and want more chickens, we get a dozen fertile eggs for one of our hens to set on when she goes broody. Then she will hatch them out and take care of the little chicks. The hens have a coop they go into at night the rest of the time they are out in the yard pecking at bugs and eating grasses and things. We have a fenced in back yard and our dogs, border collies, protect the chickens instead of eating them. We have lost chickens to the occasional stray dog as well as to mongooses but otherwise we don't have many predators around here. We have had a wild turkey mix with our flock of chickens, especially when we've put scratch out for them to eat but the turkeys didn't hurt the chickens.

We've had a variety of different breeds of chickens over the years. Right now we have Rhode Island Reds and although they are rather boring and not as pet like as some of the other breeds, they have been the most productive flock we've ever had. We've not had to buy eggs in years. Here's a handy chart to compare different chicken breeds: Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart

If a landlord won't let you keep chickens, you can always keep pigeons. Provide them a nest area and put out some food, they will appear. Or you can start the nest with a few pigeons and then let them multiply. You can eat pigeon eggs, you just need more of them for an omelet than with a chicken egg. Squab (young pigeon) is also tasty. Pigeons can also forage for all of their food, so they are a free food source.

Rabbits are also a good self sufficiency critter, although unless you keep them for fertilizer or fiber (angoras & jersey woolies) you have to kill them to get the benefit from them. Chickens are sort of like having your cake and eating it too.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-04-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We usually have a small flock of five or six hens with an occasional rooster. Hens will lay eggs and are perfectly happy without a rooster, however, the eggs won't hatch into more chickens without the rooster. If we don't have a rooster and want more chickens, we get a dozen fertile eggs for one of our hens to set on when she goes broody. Then she will hatch them out and take care of the little chicks. The hens have a coop they go into at night the rest of the time they are out in the yard pecking at bugs and eating grasses and things. We have a fenced in back yard and our dogs, border collies, protect the chickens instead of eating them. We have lost chickens to the occasional stray dog as well as to mongooses but otherwise we don't have many predators around here. We have had a wild turkey mix with our flock of chickens, especially when we've put scratch out for them to eat but the turkeys didn't hurt the chickens.

We've had a variety of different breeds of chickens over the years. Right now we have Rhode Island Reds and although they are rather boring and not as pet like as some of the other breeds, they have been the most productive flock we've ever had. We've not had to buy eggs in years. Here's a handy chart to compare different chicken breeds: Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart

If a landlord won't let you keep chickens, you can always "keep" pigeons. Provide them a nest area and put out some food, they will appear. Or you can start the nest with a few pigeons and then let them multiply. You can eat pigeon eggs, you just need more of them for an omelet than with a chicken egg. Squab (young pigeon) is also tasty. Pigeons can also forage for all of their food, so they are a free food source.

Rabbits are also a good self sufficiency critter, although unless you keep them for fertilizer or fiber (angoras & jersey woolies) you have to kill them to get the benefit from them. Chickens are sort of like having your cake and eating it too.

Don't you still have to kill your laying hens when they get old?

I doubt anyone lets them die of old age , then buries them.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
A recent essay that nicely captures why many preppers view the humble chicken as THE perfect self-sufficiency critter:

"...
I've come to realize how important the chicken is to our civilization. It may be the most important animal that we have "domesticated." To those that know chickens I'm sure this will seem obvious, but, to me it was a revelation. I'd always taken the chicken for granted. Now I believe that anyone serious about "surviving" the crash had better have at a minimum a small flock of chickens to ease the transition."

Here's the whole essay: The Silver Bear Cafe

So do you have a backyard flock, or plans for one?

Don't have them yet, plans next Spring, yes. Would like to have ducks, geese, a few turkey and maybe some guineas too. Looking at the "heritage breeds" specifically. http://albc-usa.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness