Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times

Advertisements

ok here is some things i learn about haveing something ready to go if a disaster happens

1-have a way of keeping personal info on you at all times that way i carry a usb device that has the following info on it that scanned into the device for the orignal certificaties are back in the cabin in a fire proof safe to protect them ..plus the usb device is password protected type unit ..i use a Ironkey usb device with it bult in passage protection system in the software program on it ..the device is maked a color set of number on it to keep it from beening mixed with the work unit ..

a-my birth certificate

b-my wife birth certificate

c-my wife death certificate

d-my marriage certificate

e-each of my childern birth certificate

f-my grandkids birth certificate

g-my DD214

h-deed for the land i own

i-tax info for me

j-a copy of the renters insurance contract with contact numbers for the ins people

l-a copy of the car insurance contract with contact numbers for the ins people

L-a copy of the house and land insurance for fire or quake or flood or tornado with the contact number for the ins person in the area the house is in

m-complete set of numbers to reach family members that i need call plus there complete up to date address for the family member

n-complete set of photos of the way my place looked before the fire or quake along with a set of car photos also showing the way the car looked before the fire or quake or tornado or hurricane

o-a complete up to date medical records for me along with any type of prescirption medications iam takeing at the time..

the reason behind haveing a copys of the kids and grandkids birth certificates is as back up plan for them for they once lost there in a move so i have the extra copy and it make it easly to send them a copy if need be to get the a certificate

2-do not have some much stuff that you can not afford to leave it behind .that way i keep the basic minimalist household item in the studio apt .so if i need to walk away from it in a heartbeat and leave it behind and not worry about some one is going to get it .. ..

3-keep a go bag packed ready for to live out of if need be for at least a two week time frame before needing to do laundry if need ..also put work cloths in the bag ..i have a garment bag filled with mixture of work and off work type cloths ..

4-keep the basic items if you can not get back to the house to pick up the bag for travel like in the sling bag ..like in the fire i learned the lesson of makeing sure i have the cloths bag with me instead of thinking i can come back and pick it up ..

5-update your personal computer files to a off site service so you do not lose the data on your personal computer once a disaster happens ..make sure the updates are done daily of the computer and this way you once you get set up in your new place you can update the computer with the personal things that you had on the computer once you set up again ..

also have a hard-drive program like Active@Kill dish hardware on your personal computer that if you do not log on for some many days after leaveing house or the computer is trashed in a fire and someone takes the hard drive out and trys to mess with it .. the program will ease all personal info on the computer once it fired up again for that way the way i did it ..

.google the name Active@ kill disc hard drive easer and it company website should come up for you to find ..get the professional program for your computer hard drive .

this are some of the rules i have learned over the years of liveing through a couple of disaster

Last edited by henry1; 11-13-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,411 times
Thanks for the info. Great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness