Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
An attack dog can't call the police, and is fairly easy to disable quickly. Not top mention the potential liability if it gets out or a kid gets into your yard to fetch his ball. The added benefit for an alarm is having it detect fires also.

In most neighborhoods they do serve to deter, a burglar given the choice willo hit the house next door without it, but if they are experienced and know
you have good stuff will find a way to defeat it or get in and out before any police can respond. Video is so cheap these days, a good system that records onto a hard drive on a hidden laptop will at least help identify
them.
I know a gun shop that was hit twice in 3 weeks. They entered, alarm went off, got 50 or so guns each time and were gone under 4 minutes the first time. The second time it was about 3 minutes. Both times the Police responded and were a day late and a dollar short. Proof, that they don't always work. Less than 5 minutes is more than enough time to kill you and be on your way as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Most guys I know use a combination. Personally, I like the dog and firearms. If you make it through the dog, you'll just get shot for your trouble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHea8s7drE

Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Both have advantages, but I think a dog can be incapacitated, given the correct know how. The way I see it, toxins can affect any animal, and the correct toxin can knock out a dog.

People may actively ignore alarms, due to nuisance/false alarms (and their frequency). But an alarm can record the time of entry, and can contact both the owner and the police (via GSM, cell phones or POTS).

Old 01-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Don't forget, a dog can sense and hear someone at the door or in the yard before any alarm without the most sophisticated motion detectors can!

Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
A top-notch security system is a one-time investment. A top-notch attack dog is a LIFETIME investment.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Which is a wiser choice for home protection? Should a person choose a professionally trained protection dog or get an expensive alarm system. My thought is that both would be optimum, but, lets just suppose you could only have one of either.
A real protection dog is likely to fetch in excess of $10,000 and possibly a lot more. Then you have to feed the dog, know how to work the dog, how to handle the dog, you have to notify your insurance company and you have laid your jewels on the chopping block for a litigator if your dog ever bites someone.

The expensive alarm along with large caliber pistol in a bedside safe may look cheap after everything is considered.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM

If I'm shooting the guy if he overpowers the dogs, I could care less whether he loses a nut before he takes one!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
I know a gun shop that was hit twice in 3 weeks. They entered, alarm went off, got 50 or so guns each time and were gone under 4 minutes the first time. The second time it was about 3 minutes. Both times the Police responded and were a day late and a dollar short. Proof, that they don't always work. Less than 5 minutes is more than enough time to kill you and be on your way as well.
From what I remember, it was a pro job. The guys (about 6-8) from what they estimated had been staking the place out for awhile. They knew what they wanted, where it was and how many! Lucky all the good stuff was locked in a vault (Class III). The owner felt violated and was outraged at the first take. To add insult to injury, they came back and hit him again about 3 weeks later with a slightly bigger take. Security measures have been taken since and it won't be nearly so easy to rob that gun shop after hours in the middle of the night. They did recover some of the stolen guns in drug busts and a few of the people responsible. They didn't get them all or all the people responsible. People at that level don't talk. You live by the sword and die by the sword.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 AM

I really like these songs.............. I wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYyHNgeFA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-ZK7fvNgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql49e...ayer_embedded#!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
the truth is neither will stop a profesional and determined criminal, any dog that barks and you don't let get friendly with the neighborhood teenagers will keep you safer than your neighbors who have nothing.
The Key is just don't make it easy and the bad guys will usually go somewhere else, where it is easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness