Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it's a good thing to be on the outside looking in (so-to-speak) After watching the horriffic results of the latest blizzard covering most of the world down there, I don't know how anybody living in a city is going to make it if the S really does HTF. Any city.

I've worried for years that the barge bringing supplies to these small communities in Alaska where I live would some day not show up. As it is, if the barge is late by even a day the grocery store shelves are empty of fresh produce and dairy, nearly out of meat. It never ceases to amaze me how many folks, even up here, shop daily for their food. Therefore, for about the past 20 years I've kept a 2-year stock of dry goods, including 100lbs of powdered milk, grains, flours, veggies & meats & a 5-gal bucket of raw honey for cooking & wounds. I can, freeze and dehydrate all summer, storing cases of canned goods under beds, in the closets, they're stacked up either side of the bed for makeshift end tables. You get the idea. The trick is to store what you use and use what you store.

There are lots of things you can do, even in an apartment in the city, to be more self sufficient. If you just can't move to a safer place, now is the time to start. If I lived in a city I'd try to find a place with abundant wild greens, medicine plants, fish & game and learn how to harvest my own.

Not a day goes by I don't wonder how I got so lucky to live where I do.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Have i missed something in the news? whats all this talk of
Everything going South
S really does HTF
Although we maybe going through a tough time i'm still optimistic about the N.American people having the fortitude and resolve to weather the storm so to speak.. and not be thinking of high tailing it to the woods to survive off the land in a survival of the fittest mode.
Some one have a link to these potential doomsday scenarios?As living up here in the Canadian backwoods we arent always current when it comes to news.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Have i missed something in the news? whats all this talk of
Everything going South
S really does HTF
Although we maybe going through a tough time i'm still optimistic about the N.American people having the fortitude and resolve to weather the storm so to speak.. and not be thinking of high tailing it to the woods to survive off the land in a survival of the fittest mode.
Some one have a link to these potential doomsday scenarios?As living up here in the Canadian backwoods we arent always current when it comes to news.
Always hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM

276 posts, read 432,825 times
Worst: California and the Pacific NW. (Earthquakes), the Gulf Coast and Florida (Hurricanes), Chicago and the midwest (Tornadoes), New York City and Washington, D.C. (Terrorist Threat).

Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM

I'm not convinced "everything is going south", jambo. I am, however, convinced that we're headed for an economic disaster and I wouldn't want to be in the middle of a city unprepared. And if I lived in a city and could move to a more rural self-sufficient area, I would.
Storebought food and medicine is already getting beyond a lot of people's means. If I'm wrong, GREAT! But everybody eats. I'm just glad my family's nutrition insurance policy is paid up and I'd be more than happy to offer whatever useless advice I might have.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
I think ALL your advice is worth its weight in the gold that's in the stream behind your cabin that you're not telling us about, Gramma!

Too bad your prudent preparations are the exception, not the rule.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM

You been google-earthin' my cabin again stone? Yup, my creek is full of gold - about around July

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/020_20_00.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
Yeah, we all can fish. Yeah, we have MREs, Yeah, we have canned foods ie corn etc. Yeah, we have beef jerky. Yeah, we have skills to bring down game and field dress it. Yeah, I can clean fish and frogs. Yes, I can damn near fix anything mechanical (it's easy for me). I can build fire without matches. I can do things that will make your furry little heads explode. Who cares, it's all common knowledge and gets boring real quick like! How many of you can point shoot without using the sights? How many of you know how to repair your own weapons, sharpen knives and other tools and properly knife fight? How many of you know how and have the ability to reload your own ammo? How many of you know how to function check your weapon? IMO, the other stuff is boring and you could learn it in the lawn and garden section at WAL-MART!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,599 times
I also add that when you miss your duck or goose, I'm bringing it down for you cause I never miss. We spend whole weekends shooting trap. I run through 1-2 .50 CAL ammo cans worth of 12 GA reloads doing it!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
What thingy? If you are bothered by firearms, you are in the VERY WRONG THREAD. Do us a favor and leave!
Actually, you are the one who has hijacked this thread. Please scale it back and leave the gun talk repetative posting to threads that are actually on that topic. The topic of this thread was were to live or not live, not firearms, not CCW. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness