Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

This is the "real deal". 7th largest earthquake in recorded history. Entire Pacific Rim under warning, at least 19 countries included as far as Australia and even a watch for Oregon from the 8.9 quake that hit 20 miles NW of Japan (24 kilometers under the sea). The images of the 33 ft. wave that hit Japan are just staggering.

Every coastline of the Hawaiian Islands expected to be affected. Reports of long lines at gas stations and grocery stores. Evacuations ordered for everyone to get inland at least 1/2 mile.

Hawaii has so much more lead time warning than had Japan or Russia and Taiwan.

If you are in an area with the capability of being affected enact your plan. If not, watch and learn, form your plans. These quakes near Japan began 48 hrs. ago and will likely be going on for more days. 11 aftershocks have hit Japan already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM

Update: Entire West coast US mainland, Alaska & Mexico has been upgraded from watch to warning.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
What is your news broadcast?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
At the time of this post, all U.S. and Canadian territory except the Hawaiian Islands is outside of the area of danger.

http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php...1.03.11.143224

Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Everyone living around the Pacific Rim should be prepared for earthquakes and tsunamis. All who live in "Tornado Alley" here in the US should be prepared for such. Those in hurricane country need to have preps related to that. Those of us here in the northeast (and elsewhere) need to be prepared for blizzards and ice storms.

That said, sometimes there are just things you can't predict. When it's your time, it's your time.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
I wonder how many of our "friends" who like to come here and deny such events will drop by in a blaze of arrogance and say hello? Again, dear friends, you've been proven wrong. And again, I'll ask you the same question that I always do: if you were someone directly and profoundly affected by this and you made it through the initial event, would you be better off now with a few months worth of food/provisions on hand... or a half can of beer, package of Twinkies, sunglasses and a 'tude?

You can call those who believe in preparedness crazy if you want. And it's true that there is never any guarantee of survival through such events. But there's no way you can dispute the fact that the probability of survival is increased through preparedness. Period.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I wonder how many of our "friends" who like to come here and deny such events will drop by in a blaze of arrogance and say hello? Again, dear friends, you've been proven wrong. And again, I'll ask you the same question that I always do: if you were someone directly and profoundly affected by this and you made it through the initial event, would you be better off now with a few months worth of food/provisions on hand... or a half can of beer, package of Twinkies, sunglasses and a 'tude?

You can call those who believe in preparedness crazy if you want. And it's true that there is never any guarantee of survival through such events. But there's no way you can dispute the fact that the probability of survival is increased through preparedness. Period.

Relax ole fella, relax.

Let our friends say what they want. It does us favors as to not drive the stuff we need to be overinflated in price. Can you imagine what panic buying would stir?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Chris C, Don't sweat it man. The Chosen one has written a speech to send to Japan. It says stay off the beach!

That'll fix it right?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Relax ole fella, relax.

Let our friends say what they want. It does us favors as to not drive the stuff we need to be overinflated in price. Can you imagine what panic buying would stir?
Yet as soon as the tsunami warnings were sounded in Hawaii people were panic buying fuel, food and generators with long lines reported via CNN live feed online. They were not already prepared. Thus the point I was attempting to make in in the OP.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yet as soon as the tsunami warnings were sounded in Hawaii people were panic buying fuel, food and generators with long lines reported via CNN live feed online. They were not already prepared. Thus the point I was attempting to make in in the OP.

Yes i understand, in a way its cool, so for those of us that ARE prepared, we can all get busy on our way in evacuating the premises and head off to where it is we need to go.
However!, easy said than done, it does get a little complex when we have family members who are commuting home from work or outings at those times, they will get tangled up in the events, so i guess it ends up being a lottery system on who gets lucky, which SUX!!

In these scenarios i think its a wise thing to make plans A, B, C, and so forth, for those kindda events. I just hope people dont lose sanity when we get to it.

Good Luck to us all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness