Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Semi to me, mated with a novice is an accident waiting to happen. You would be wrong. Still one round, one trigger pull. And there are PLENTY of examples of them being used. Shooting any weapon hand guns even requires both hands. Incorrect Holding a child and a gun to use at the same time isn't going to really work out well. No It endangers the child double. REALLY? Moving them to safety while tracking a possable threat is more dnagerious then leaving them out in the open?
-Oh, could just as easily have said open a door... Which is why I am a fan of weapon mounted lights.

This is just my opinion though.

I agree training is a very wise idea, but who will really pay and take that time.Only 1% of the Gun owning population... But that's not a small number. I take AT MINIMUM one training class per year. (Couple dozen really) Edited to clarify... NOT PER YEAR! LOL!

I am not aware of your personal back ground and you may be a trainer for all I know, or maybe like me you grew up with a father who trained you and hunted with you.Done some instructing, in the Corps and out, but I am not one by profession.

Handling guns is fairly natural for me, and I do that every single day.

Combat training is probably out of our scope here. Combat and SD/HD are different things.
When people are shooting at you... you are in combat.

I don't care if it's one drunk gangbanger or an entire army.

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 06-06-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I missed the replies with in the quote. You are just plain wrong about barrel whip. This is why target only guns have Bull Barrels. The fact you don't know this is a little surprising.(Sighs) Go find the video of what was it... the army? Where they shot the AK and AR side by side and claimed that the AK was SOOOO inaccurate.

Funny, a short while later in the video they WERE able to shoot accurately (In the 'accuracy test' you can SEE the AK shooter JERKING the trigger) enough to hit the block, or wood, or whatever it was, I disremember.

It's been debunked countless times, and is NOT surprising you don't know...

The fact you don't know it on AKs means you probably don't own any, and so never saw slow motion hi speed video of the barrel wiggling around like a string of spagetti.Seen the videos, own quite a few, and built several hundred.
I worked in a custom shop between getting out the Corps and going back to school.

500 yards with a Ak shooting the 7.62 x 39 is rather quite a feat. Got a link for that ? I know the round flies that far and much more but getting in on a 4x8 sheet of plywood is more pure luck than anything.

Sure:
500 yard AK47 Shot? | Weapons and Tactical Gear | FORUMS | The Modern Survivalist

Much as I despise Suarez this is easier to find. Zach Smith did it first and with a AK47.
Might be on his site.

Would you use a Winchester 30-30 lever gun Model 94 for that shot? How big was the bulls eye man
See above. Oh, and I prefer Savage or Marlin!

I just can't wait to see your target 1 moa AK gun pics. I bet it has satilite tv, radio, 2 flashlites a bayonnet mounted swiss army knife, paddles and a raft.Never said I had a 1MOA AK, and all I recomend for any fighting gun is BUIS, Red Dot, Light, Sling, and if you can... a suppressor!

Just how many gun fights have you been involved in anyway? Not military combat.
Oh, Boy... you really want to go there?

Yes, you shot a guy one time in your house...

Hit, Haditha, Ramadi, Faluja, etc....

(Who's is bigger?)

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Funny, a guy new to guns at the local range had no idea a next round would be loaded in his Springfield .45 Govt mod. he fired and hit paper high left and turned to the other strangers shooting and shot the bench 4 times more. The look on his face was real stupid and then he said did I do that? Luckily no one got hit.

So your cool with a total novice having a semi huh? A lot of newbies these days don't know a barrel from a ft site.

Combat and SD and HD are not the same. I noticed you didn't say how may AK's you own and or the last time you were in a real gun fight not military.

Yeah I know a semi is one trigger pull and one goes down range. I own semi's, levers, pumps,bolts, double action to single, single action only, cap locks and flintlocks. I know how all of these work. I can take them apart and put them together. Once A guy asked me to put his Winnie mod 100 in 30-06 back together and no parts were connected to anyother parts, and infact other gun parts were in the box, some dating to the Civil War. The gun was apart to be blued somewhere, and the bluer blew town. All these parts got dumped in a box.

If your tawkin pick up a kid undrer one arm and carrying a shot gun in the other, yeah you can do that, but you can't really shoot the gun well, just like i said.

Maybe a trained guy with a hand gun can shoot some but probably not. I get the idea you never had real live incoming rnds, or you wouldn't talk this way.

You can have your lights, No guns of mine ever will. I know my surrondings. No sence it telling a bad guy exactly where to shoot. Yeah sure these modern lights are dammned bright and will blind you no doubt there, but a bad guy can still shoot blind.

I own some of those lights too, but won't mount them in any gun I own. I don't get paid to clear building either.

And I can shoot a double barrel shot gun with one hand, and throw clays for myself with my other hand, and break every last one every single time. I am not under the same pressure then as i would be under lethal threat.

Your not coming off like a Marine much either.. Just the idea of moving and shooting at the same time is a little nutty. I have done that many times in seneca runs. That's a game doing all sorts of things from shooting, running and loading a flint gun as you run, throw a hawk, throw a knife set traps, sometimes find things and for up to 4 hours straight, against each other and against the clock.

No one shoots in the game and is moving either. No one shoots on the move, wlak or run ever, but I guess they could. Trouble with rock locks is you get one shot then you must reload.

Civies don't often get full auto guns for SD /HD either.

Another problem is the courts. The courts are not going to like a guy who uses any Ak for SD/HD. Just the fact someone might use the ak to a Jury looks like you had a little vendetta to settle. In SD/HD you are better off in court with something common, like that 12Ga or a 38/45/9mm like cops use, what ever cops use is best in court.

I never lived in Cal, but I know there are many guns that no one can own in Cal that anyone can own in NH.

Why in Cal you can't even own a NAA mini convertable .22/.22 mag 5 shot wheel gun.. I really doubt you can have a semi Ak in cal. Maybe 2 years ago I saw a silly looking pump AK that was legak in Cal.

Wait a minute! Maybe you mean illegal guns in Cal. In that case anyone can have anything they want.

I don't worry about what is legal and what isn't in Cal. NH is almost as far as you can get from Cal and still be in the USA. I could shoot a 30-06 and hit Maine from here no joke.

I saw the guys location and it says Cal... If I am right, he can't have a semi Ak anyway. I know for a fact he can't have a NAA mini. The Mini won't pass Calisheepfornia regs period.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
I seemed to have lost my blue ribbon somewhere Jordan

J, you might want to trade that Raven. It's best function is as a paper weight. I had one once too, so I know. In fact i compared it to a like size gun, a Iver Johnson TP 22, which is walther like, and in .22 LR.

The .22LR beats the .25acp hands down in wet phone books at the same distance.

As usual I am having a bad time getting around single action wheel gun modes. Reading about your airweight hamerless guns is interesting.. The nannied word i can 't get figured..... "****hammer" ???

Man I hate the nannie.
Hi Mac,

The forum apparently has an auto censor. I typed "c o c k a hammer". Maybe this way will escape the censor. Strange, with all the x rated stuff discussed on some pages, a simple word gets censored. But that's education nowadays.

Yes, the .25 was a mistake. I thought it slightly better than a .22 but I will never buy another one. Ineffective ammo at a high price. But I keep it since I have it. It can be a backup if ever needed.

I like the hammerless for concealed carry. I know a hammer would snag with me, at the worst moment. I do like a hammer for SA shooting as with plinking cans, etc. I don't like the idea of SA for a defense situation. I've read of some accidents with that. When I eventually get a better auto, I will probably get one that is double action.

I would collect guns if $ were no object.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Funny, a guy new to guns at the local range had no idea a next round would be loaded in his Springfield .45 Govt mod. he fired and hit paper high left and turned to the other strangers shooting and shot the bench 4 times more. The look on his face was real stupid and then he said did I do that? Luckily no one got hit.Agreed. IT WAS NOT THE GUN, BUT THE OPERATOR.

If someone is safe with a single shot .22 they are safe with a semi. and vice versa. He did not know the 4 safety rules...

So your cool with a total novice having a semi huh? A lot of newbies these days don't know a barrel from a ft site.And they should not mess with ANY gun until they learn. 'Semi's' are no more 'evil' than FA, or 'Sniper rifles' etc. It's the operator.

Combat and SD and HD are not the same. Sez you. Many of us disagree. See what I have said earlier on the subject. Incoming is incoming. I noticed you didn't say how may AK's you own and or the last time you were in a real gun fight not military.That's because I don't KNOW how many AK's I own. When the ATF 'decided' that they had the ability to ban 'nonsporting barrels' I bought up parts kits every paycheck for over 6 months. I bought over 70 Parts kits (Mostly Romanian G kits, although a few RPK kits, and AMD65 kits) Later while working building them I bought both 7.62 and 5.45 Krink kits.
I have NO IDEA how many I own.

As to 'Real gun fight' I havn't been in any gunfights other than on the job. Nor do I care that you have never been in one and just 'shot someone'.
As I said... when someone's trying to kill you, someone is trying to kill you. I know you are trying to make some kind of claim here... support it.

Yeah I know a semi is one trigger pull and one goes down range. I own semi's, levers, pumps,bolts, double action to single, single action only, cap locks and flintlocks. Glad to hear it. I know how all of these work. I can take them apart and put them together. Once A guy asked me to put his Winnie mod 100 in 30-06 back together and no parts were connected to anyother parts, and infact other gun parts were in the box, some dating to the Civil War. The gun was apart to be blued somewhere, and the bluer blew town. All these parts got dumped in a box.Good.

If your tawkin pick up a kid undrer one arm and carrying a shot gun in the other, No. I Mentioned that with a pumpgun it is common for a novice (under stress) to 'short stroke' the action, binding the gun and making it inoperable. I went on to say that handguns which (While they are better off being fired 2 handed) can free up your other hand to carry something, open a door, hold a light, (Didn't mention cell phones) etc. yeah you can do that, but you can't really shoot the gun well, just like i said.It can be shot well enough. Particularely if you train.

Maybe a trained guy with a hand gun can shoot some but probably not.Annnd your probably wrong. I get the idea you never had real live incoming rnds, or you wouldn't talk this way.And what vast source of knowledge would you case this one on?

You can have your lights, No guns of mine ever will. I know my surrondings.REALLY? No sence it telling a bad guy exactly where to shoot. Yeah sure these modern lights are dammned bright and will blind you no doubt there, but a bad guy can still shoot blind.
Too bad this guy thought like you!
Off-Duty Connecticut Officer Shoots Daughter
Hope your wife understands!

There's a REASON military and LEO use tac lights. I've had a Surefire 6P on my belt for YEARS. (Last rebuild I got a LED bulb... it's great)

I own some of those lights too, but won't mount them in any gun I own. I don't get paid to clear building either.Doesn't matter why your doing it if you end up doing it.
Other than clearing... it's target identification.

And I can shoot a double barrel shot gun with one hand, and throw clays for myself with my other hand, and break every last one every single time. I am not under the same pressure then as i would be under lethal threat.Yes, I have read where you have claimed you can shoot a shotgun better than ANYONE....

Your not coming off like a Marine much either.. Know many Marines? Just the idea of moving and shooting at the same time is a little nutty.REALLY? Rather than bothering to observe what is being taught at say: Blackwater, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Tactical Response, Suarez, etc etc etc... Why don't you just download a infantry manual and look up "Traveling overwatch"

Yes, this (Upon contact)
becomes shooting on the move. I guess you think shooting from atop a 7 ton or hummer is 'a little nutty ' too!

Good thing the Corps isn't using you as a tactical consultant!

I have done that many times in seneca runs. That's a game doing all sorts of things from shooting, running and loading a flint gun as you run, throw a hawk, throw a knife set traps, sometimes find things and for up to 4 hours straight, against each other and against the clock.Enjoy your games and dress up.

No one shoots in the game and is moving either. No one shoots on the move, wlak or run ever, but I guess they could. I've shot Practical Pistol in years past... not sure about what the rules are in the various IPSC etc... but in some of the disciplines you can watch some GOOD shooters shooting on the move.Trouble with rock locks is you get one shot then you must reload.Yep.

Civies don't often get full auto guns for SD /HD either.Point?

Another problem is the courts. The courts are not going to like a guy who uses any Ak for SD/HD. Just the fact someone might use the ak to a Jury looks like you had a little vendetta to settle. In SD/HD you are better off in court with something common, like that 12Ga or a 38/45/9mm like cops use, what ever cops use is best in court.
IF you shoot someone Unless you are in a couple states... IIRC FL and Az come to mind... where if you are cleared of criminal charges you CANNOT be sued... it's going to cost you MINIMUM $10K to shoot someone. IF EVERYTHING GOES YOUR WAY.

That said: If it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot. Tool doesn't matter.
Ala: Gary Fadden

But it'll cost you whichever way.

I never lived in Cal, but I know there are many guns that no one can own in Cal that anyone can own in NH.Not true... Some 'special people can' others are grandfathered... import now, yes.

Why in Cal you can't even own a NAA mini convertable .22/.22 mag 5 shot wheel gun.. I'm pretty sure that they were being made prior to Cali deciding that to sell a gun there you had to submit several samples and pay to have them 'tested' but as to new ones... it's possible. I really doubt you can have a semi Ak in cal. Maybe 2 years ago I saw a silly looking pump AK that was legak in Cal.Wrong again.

Several details: You can with the Moronic 'Bullet button'

Additional, the liberals banned BY NAME... so a MAK 90 may be banned, but a NHM-91 might not be (I have no idea of which are banned, just examples)
I DO KNOW that Saigas are NOT banned) and Also that (At least as of about a year ago that No Dak Spud receivers were not on the banned list (My Perfered build receivers)

Wait a minute! Maybe you mean illegal guns in Cal. In that case anyone can have anything they want.Nope, not what I ment, see above.

I don't worry about what is legal and what isn't in Cal. NH is almost as far as you can get from Cal and still be in the USA. I could shoot a 30-06 and hit Maine from here no joke.Enjoy the cold...

I saw the guys location and it says Cal... If I am right, he can't have a semi Ak anyway. Your not. Not that I recommend it. I know for a fact he can't have a NAA mini. Incorrect again, but it IS less likely he will find one already imported (I dis-remember if they can have 'preban' pistols like New York can have Pre 94 AWB rifles and mags... I know Cali won't let you do that.) The Mini won't pass Calisheepfornia regs period.
See earlier comments. Not that it matters, a Single action rimfire is NOT to be perfered when you can have a 6.6 oz 32, or a slightly heavier .380 etc.

I stopped carrying my NAA .22 MAG as soon as I got my first Kel Tec.
(Don't carry that ether anymore as I'd something more 'serious' but it beats a rimfire, to say nothing of trying to co ck the NAA under stress.)

Oh, a Shrouded hammer J frame:
Allows you to have the bennies of SA, while having the Hammer Spur covered so it won't snag. Of all my J frames, I keep them around the most, I've got 49's, 38's, a 649 etc:

The Smith & Wesson Bodyguard

Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 AM

This is a part of cali law.... I thought maybe they got liberal out in Cal They haven't. I don't have time right now to look up the NAA single action pistols you CAN'T own in Cal.

This pretty much proves you are wrong on AK's in Cal. I won't be around today much, long drive ahead. And oh the mini I carry is a back up the Remington Rand or my Kimber both 45's. These suit me in all but the hottest weathers.

Maybe it will come to the point where we must just agree to disagree.
My son is in the sand now, so I get the idea you grew up with Mattel guns. I hope you know what that means.

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(b) "Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.

(c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(3) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

(d) This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/genchar.htm (broken link)

Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 AM

This is:

5. May assault weapons still be registered?
The assault weapon registration period has ended. The DOJ is no longer accepting assault weapon registration forms.

From here Frequently Asked Questions - Assault Weapon Registration - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Evidently you can't register any more AK/ Ar's either. And since January 1, 2000.

Of course I have no idea about any registry since no such thing exists in New Hampshire.

I found a little more time.

These 2 and only these 2 NAA guns pass Cali muster. My mini is like these, but is not these and so it won't cut Cali law.

North American Arms NAA-22LR / Stainless Steel Revolver 1.125" .22 LR 1/24/2012
North American Arms NAA-22MS / Stainless Steel Revolver 1.125" .22 Magnum 1/24/2012

see http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp (broken link)

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 06-07-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Hi Mac,

The forum apparently has an auto censor. I typed "c o c k a hammer". Maybe this way will escape the censor. Strange, with all the x rated stuff discussed on some pages, a simple word gets censored. But that's education nowadays.

Yes, the .25 was a mistake. I thought it slightly better than a .22 but I will never buy another one. Ineffective ammo at a high price. But I keep it since I have it. It can be a backup if ever needed.

I like the hammerless for concealed carry. I know a hammer would snag with me, at the worst moment. I do like a hammer for SA shooting as with plinking cans, etc. I don't like the idea of SA for a defense situation. I've read of some accidents with that. When I eventually get a better auto, I will probably get one that is double action.

I would collect guns if $ were no object.
Yeah J, I get nannied here to talking about the ossipee ring d i k e, as in volcano. I couldn't understand that either. Maybe it's ring d y k e?

I just couldn't get what it was you said. I got nannied under motorcycles too, talking about the fuel inlet a pet c o c k. Beats me, but I didn't have a thing to do with rules making.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
Quote:
Yeah J, I get nannied here to talking about the ossipee ring d i k e, as in volcano. I couldn't understand that either. Maybe it's ring d y k e?

I just couldn't get what it was you said. I got nannied under motorcycles too, talking about the fuel inlet a pet c o c k. Beats me, but I didn't have a thing to do with rules making.
Yet glance at some of the stuff they don't censor & go figure.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
This is a part of cali law.... I thought maybe they got liberal out in Cal They haven't. I don't have time right now to look up the NAA single action pistols you CAN'T own in Cal.

This pretty much proves you are wrong on AK's in Cal
. I won't be around today much, long drive ahead. And oh the mini I carry is a back up the Remington Rand or my Kimber both 45's. These suit me in all but the hottest weathers.....

Maybe it will come to the point where we must just agree to disagree.
My son is in the sand now, so I get the idea you grew up with Mattel guns. I hope you know what that means.
One of these days maby you will learn to pay attention to what you read:

RifleGear - AK47 Bullet Button

YouTube - ‪The Right To "Bear" Arms - Arsenal's New California Legal AK Series‬‏

YouTube - ‪California AK bullet button‬‏

Yes, once AGAIN I meet your baseless opinions with FACT!

Oh, I know what Mattel guns are... don't worry, no need to appear as if you are speaking to a preschooler. I've got my share of M1A's, M1's, FAL's etc...

Oh, you said:
[quote]
Quote:
I don't have time right now to look up the NAA single action pistols you CAN'T own in Cal.
And THEN you said I'm right!
(Quite frankly I don't care if YOUR NAA is banned, my POINT WAS... that some are not... as I stated...)
That's not too bad from memory.

Quote:
This is:

These 2 and only these 2 NAA guns pass Cali muster.
My mini is like these, but is not these and so it won't cut Cali law.

North American Arms NAA-22MS / Stainless Steel Revolver 1.125" .22 Magnum 1/24/2012

Quote:
This is:

5. May assault weapons still be registered?
The assault weapon registration period has ended. The DOJ is no longer accepting assault weapon registration forms.

From here Frequently Asked Questions - Assault Weapon Registration - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Evidently you can't register any more AK/ Ar's either. And since January 1, 2000.

Of course I have no idea about any registry since no such thing exists in New Hampshire.

These 2 and only these 2 NAA guns pass Cali muster. My mini is like these, but is not these and so it won't cut Cali law.

Too bad you didn't PAY ATTENTION when I explained earlier about the NAMES being the thing banned.

Perhaps at some point you will pay attention and correct your misconceptions and then it will not be necessary to 'agree to disagree.' Because then we will agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness