Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,736 times

Advertisements

Every time I see the title of this thread it makes me sad. Chris Farley was so talented, it is a shame he wasn't able to control his addictions and lack of self-esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Every time I see the title of this thread it makes me sad. Chris Farley was so talented, it is a shame he wasn't able to control his addictions and lack of self-esteem.
I try not to get too sentimental over celebrities.... but yes, I also miss his presence. Hard to believe it's going on about 14 years now. Is that right? Geez, where the heck does the time go.

My quick little tribute to one of the catchiest little lines known by most SNL fans:

YouTube - ‪I LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER‬‏

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Yeah, Pine Ridge... a little scary at the best of times. I've stopped for gas and food there - but not for long. Since DH is 1/2 Cherokee/Blackfoot, we've been to Wounded Knee 'just across the line' from us in SD - the sign is there, explaining the history, and the church and the graveyard are still there. Best to carry a little cash with you - when they see a strange car at the site they stop to sell you "Indian jewelry". If you drive thru the rez, though, you might be followed. No harm meant or done - just followed til they see where you are going.

The Fur Trade Museum is really awesome. Lots of old guns, and they even show how fur was brought up the rivers to the "big cities" of St Louis and points east. We spent two hours there - and it's a small building!

Sounds like you coulda been in our town for "Home Coming Days"! We have a small parade, and a kids' rodeo... and a mom and pop hamburger joint/bar. Don't let them slow-talkin' big lanky cowboys fool you - most of them have college degrees, even if they are in AG or business or even (yup) computer technology, and still wear chaps over their jeans and their guns on their hips because they really do still rope and ride for a living. Nice folks. We get kidded a lot about our "tiny" acreage and short cows, and the fact that we are not Husker fans... but it's all in good fun. Our 'backdoor neighbor' still jokes about the time our bull saw all his cows across the fence, got all moony and pushed through 4 strands of barbwire, and we all went chasing him, DH in his 4-wheeler and them on their horses. They got a rope around him - and he laid down and pouted, refused to even get up to get in the trailer, he was so mad. Not exactly a big fighting bull Angus like they were used to!

The town charges $5 a night to camp in the park; it's purely voluntary and mainly a way to keep out squatters, traveling salespeople, and missionaries (We don't like to be bothered here.). But you can camp on our porch, in our yard - or if you need a bed and don't mind a dog or two, we have a spare room. PM me if you like!

I forget which town it was, but might be able to get it if I work on it. It was after West Point and Before Ash Fall. But I know we took a room in Valentine. Every one of thse guys were corn farmers, all in overall jeans with knee high boots, checked shirts and base ball style hats, many said John Deer. ALL of them were 6 times my size.... Had it come to fisty cuffs with any one, or all I would have been toast in a heart beat. It would have been the same as beating the tar out of a Raggety Andy.

I didn't know I entered Pine Ridge when I did. I was infact headed to the Museum in Chadron. I just didn't make it there. On Pine Ridge there is a road called Gooseneck, and I managed to crash there about 3 miles west of the last gas station on the paved road.

I am never going to know what the exact cause of the crash was. I was going about 20 MPH on the BLM gravel road, and my best guess is the trailer I was towing behind the Kawii Nomad motorcycle some how jumped the hitch. The accident scene was unbeliveable. A real chinese fire drill.

My wife was cut to the bone on her right elbow, both of us had hard bruised right hips, and somehow i got tangled up with my own elbow or the handlebars and broke my 3 lowest right ribs.

The Gals I mentioned, gave us shelter for so long as was needed, and that was needed exactly 30 days. So I got to meet the good the bad and the ugly for a while. Witnessed a Sun Dance. Got robbed twice and did see Wounded Knee all of it.... I found a small flake of flint at WK burial ground and still have it.

Somethng else was going on where we sheltered before we did. That wasn't good, and a head leader of AIM was involved. He made certain lethal threats over the radio no less, directed at any and all whites there. I was the only male, and that happened the very next day. All sorts of cops showed up, one special just for me. He didn't talk with me very long, but the Pine Ridge Police did. At first they took me for a Bandito a 1% MC club out of Cal. No one there knew what New Hampshire was.

While we were sheltered chores still happened. With out a lot of tools but with my creativity I changed the engine mount on a car, tuned it up changed it's oil and filter. The engine mt wasn't real bad as I carried a line (smaller than 1 inch rope is line) There used to be a horse hitchin post but the posts were there with no cross bar. I lashed each each post to the other with a spanish widlass, and then another line to the engine going behind the engine around a McPearson strut tower, and windlassed the engine up and back to get the broken mount out and a new one installed.

One treasure from there is a rattle snake skin. Someone's horse was wandering on the road near where we were, and i went to collect it so it wouldn't be hit by a car. Then I found a dead rattler with just one fang missing. With great care for that missing fang I skinned the snake, and stretch it on cardboard with staples I made of a wire fence in the trash.

That place had a zillion cats, and I fed the cats with the snake meat. The meat was a bit past human consumption.

An odd thing I noticed was if I dressed in black leathers, jacket and chaps, I was seen as more able bodied, than if i wore shorts, sandals and a tank top t shirt. Where I live one or the other seems to make no difference.

I speak dog fluently We take up a spot about 4 feet by 6... Pretty small foot print. Anything better than dirt is a luxury. 70# hay bales is that, a luxury.

Looking into something, will pm after I figure out How To. This would just be for your ammusment. This is a hint:

Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
When I graduate, Grad school is online.

I'm thinking of Moving to Key West and being a beach bum for 2-3 months and living out the back of a truck (SUV actually)

I've lived in worse places.

Why not!?!
Why not? I think you better check out the vagrancy laws. You can't just park your car anywhere without a legal address.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
So who knows that quote?
I'm 34 with no kids and not much family. Got into a little trouble (alcohol related or course) and by the end of the year should be all legally free to roam. Is it insane to have an idea to sell all my worldy junk, buy a van, make it my home and travel the country? I would stay mostly on the west coast so i dont freeze to death, plus I really love it out there but housing is unattainable.
I'm just sick and tired of the conventional life, it's predictable and I can't get ahead no matter what I do. So is this a "crazy" idea? I'm very frugal and have had this dream of doing this for years now. It would be such a simple existence. Thoughts? Opinions?
No, it's not insane if you can afford to support that type of lifestyle. Do you have money saved? Two months before my 43rd birthday, I sold all my belongings and left New Hampshire one cold night with whatever fit in my Honda. However, I had enough money saved to live for several months. I also had an IRA for an emergency if I used up the rest looking for work. In this economy, you might need a lot more. How are you going to pay for gas at $3.65 a gallon? What if your van breaks down?

Life doesn't have to be expensive, but you still need a plan. Right now, if you're healthy, you might think wandering around aimlessly is cool, but if you break your leg, do you expect to get free medical care? What are you going to do when your money runs out? Beg from the people who are working 2 jobs because you don't want to live a "conventional" life?

This post might not be appreciated, but we're all sick to death of working and paying bills.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why not? I think you better check out the vagrancy laws. You can't just park your car anywhere without a legal address.
I've got one on my DL in a different state, And (Although I havn't checked it out) I know the 'old version' concerned solvency...

I've got quite a bit saved up, and healthcare and my retirement check.

I had originally intended on staying in the BEQ...

I was TAD down there about 10 years ago and have always threatened to go back.

Turns out the Navy changed the regs, they are the only one who won't let retirees stay in the BEQ.

You CAN park a legally plated and insured car almost anywhere for a couple days...

Otherwise, there are campgrounds and military campgrounds. I'll check it out when I get there.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Are you in jail now?

Dumb idea financially no question. You need a job first and the source of income that provides. The second step is simply to limit your spending and living in a van could save you a lot of money potentially.

But going to such an exteme does not make any sense, sure you could scrounge and spend all your time widdling or you could make more money. At some point saving is not economical and it becomes more economical to make more money.

So no living in a van is not smart but getting a job and limiting your expenses is probably what you should be after.
Not in jail, probation. I work full time and take care of what I need to.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
If you can make it work, do it. As you can see, you're getting a lot of negative comments (predictably, of course). That's because most of us are firmly assimilated into the pasteurized, factory-farm lifestyle our society has plotted out for us. And of course, misery loves company. But then, I'm sure you didn't expect to get a pat on the back even on a "preparedness and self reliance forum," did you?

As far as we know, we all have one life to live. Live it your way.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If you can make it work, do it. As you can see, you're getting a lot of negative comments (predictably, of course). That's because most of us are firmly assimilated into the pasteurized, factory-farm lifestyle our society has plotted out for us. And of course, misery loves company. But then, I'm sure you didn't expect to get a pat on the back even on a "preparedness and self reliance forum," did you?

As far as we know, we all have one life to live. Live it your way.
I expected zero to be in favor of my possible quest. It was predictable since in 2011 this kind of plan is not normal. I'll refrain from exposing anything else about this. But thanks to anyone who responded, positive and negative.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I expected zero to be in favor of my possible quest. It was predictable since in 2011 this kind of plan is not normal. I'll refrain from exposing anything else about this. But thanks to anyone who responded, positive and negative.
why stop?

Some are interested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness