Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 11:25 AM

145 posts, read 176,749 times

Advertisements

Who'd have thunk I would get such great info on van living from a City-Data forum?

Mac_Muz asked: What kinds of clients? I don't need to know, but you need to think out of the box. Can you show up early, can you stay late? Some wlamarts allow all night parking and with people sleeping in their vehicals.

The kind of clients that often aren't home when I go to their house...they kind where I might be able to get a nap on their couch or something when I was done with my task...I would prob ask permission first.

Re: Walmart....upscale area....the closest one has signs saying "no overnite parking" although I did see a couple of camper trailers there (early evening) so perhaps it isn't strictly enforced...

Not sure about the truck stop idea. I tried to nap at one once, a few years ago (needed to kill some time) and the truck idling sound was driving me crazy (like Woof mentioned). There are rest areas here...near the beach that might work in a pinch. They are a bit of a distance though so would only use them if I had to.

johnnytang24 said: I have a 5 gallon bucket with toilet seat but have never used it. If I'm close enough to civilization (ie in a parking lot), I'll run in to McD or Walmart. If I'm out in the sticks, I'll use the woods.

I don't mind using the woods when necessary although rattlesnakes, coyotes and even mountain lions might be of concern at nite. I was thinking of getting this for if I'm too scared to go out.... Cabela's: Nature Bio-Toilet

I like it because it's collapsible. I would prob only use in emergencies. Mostly will go at the gym/library/client's homes etc. It's important to consider though, for sure.

johnnytang24 talked about isolation. This is something I already have to guard against. I do like to be alone a lot but also enjoy the company of good people. I have to be careful not to go long without seeing anyone or I start to feel unloved and lonely! I'm sure living in the van will exacerbate this if I'm not careful! I think I will plan to see my friends more...and try to make more friends that I can visit. I'm pretty friendly when I want to be. Thanks for reminding me about this important consideration Johnny.

giney12 talked about internet usage I am actually hoping to be on the internet LESS because of this experience so I'm not going to go to a great deal of trouble to get the wi-fi thing going on frequently. I have unlimited online access on my cell if I need something but I hope to spend lots of time at the gym and maybe start another useful hobby or two to keep my busy. There are things that I want to learn like sewing for instance. Was thinking I could take a class for that. Might also take a ballroom dancing class for fun. Or I could learn another language. The possibilities are endless (if I have money, of course!)

giney12 said: u can park a van anywhere, and as long as you move it a few blocks, each morning and evening, nobody will say boo to you about it. Nobody looks in your windows, even, to notice that you are lying there. They might notice if you are up and moving around in it a lot. I've spent 100's of nights in my van, never a problem at all.

Good to know. Although some of these hoity toities around here might not like the looks of my van...it's old and the paint is not so good. But if I get there at say 11 at nite and leave at 6 or 7am (is 7 too late?) perhaps they will barely notice me.

It's interesting because I went to walmart yesterday and there were a bunch of panhandlers out there and the police did NOTHING, but I have a feeling that *I* (working woman, asking nothing from anybody) might get harrassed by police because of living in my ugly van. I think as soon as I can I will get something a bit better looking...

Woof said: Funny how I keep spending money on items for the van that aren't really necessary, but could make life more comfortable - even though I don't intend to live in it again. I keep thinking, "yeah what if civilization crashes and I can't afford to live in an apartment anymore?

I think you are smart to stay prepared...most thinking people believe we are in for an incredible crash.

Woof said: I got an aircard for my laptop from Sprint last time, because there aren't always many free spots in the places I like in California. However the connection does require a deposit plus $60 per month, which is a lot.

I can't stand the thought of paying that much for internet access! Highway robbery!

One thing that's troubling is that the laundymats tend to be in bad(ish) neighborhoods. Will definitely have to go in the daytime.

A couple of other concerns: I worried about staying warm...I'm in a warm climate but it could get into the 40s at nite at time or two this winter and that would be hard on me. I don't do well in cold. What's cheap way to stay warm (last resort would be a motel because of the expense)?

Also, I am going to have an issue with clothes storage. Was looking at waterproof canvas bags that go on the top of the van but that might draw too much attention-it would look odd around here. There are more expensive units I could put on top but don't really want to spend the money (although I haven't researched yet). I REALLY want to keep most of my clothes though. I don't want to look or feel homeless or destitute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVan View Post
A couple of other concerns: I worried about staying warm...I'm in a warm climate but it could get into the 40s at nite at time or two this winter and that would be hard on me. I don't do well in cold. What's cheap way to stay warm (last resort would be a motel because of the expense)?
The old timers wore nightcaps for a reason--you lose heat from your head. Also a nice tight pair of wool socks can be a lifesaver and neither of these take up much room. Bums know that lining your clothes with newspaper will help to hold your body heat in and it really does work--better than a space blanket really.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Practically any sleeping bag will keep you warm in the 40s. Really good, expensive nested sleeping bags will keep you warm to at least -30F. You could use some of those in northern Alaska or even the North Pole, but using the inner layer alone will work for mild weather.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Oh yeah, and dream on about the weather never getting below the 40's. I went on a RTW camping trip and only stayed in countries that were in summer or tropical so we'd miss the winter and a couple of times it got below freezing. Also I went to the Grand Canyon this summer, camping all the way and got rained on in the Utah desert one night and froze to death the next one, so prepare for freezing temps, even in the summer.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Yup you will need a sleeping bag and 1 liner, since this will be long term. There are many types of fill to choose from, anmd any decent sporting goods stores will have many to choose from.

I have 5 and my wife has 3. It's a good bet you will need a camping pad too, or more than one. These come several ways.

What I prefer is 2 by the same company. The one closest to the ground is called Ridgerest and is closed cell, meaning it is a pad that has trapped air inside and you don't do more than open it. This type insulates you from the ground, and is water proof.

The one I ise on top is called Thermarest and is a self inflating pad, meaning it will draw in air by itself, and you just blow a little air in to suit the firmness/softness in a pad about 1 inch thick.

That bench seat isn't going to work out for long. I'll give that 2 nights, before you get all kinked up and feel crippled.

I have no idea what stores are near you. Seek out Coleman, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Bass Pro, as a wild guess there should be something like that in Cal.

If nothing else a few real wool blankets. I have one sewn over like a bad for solo promitive trecks and use it in some fairly cold wet weather to around ice in the bucket weather.

For colder I add more woolens, but your not going primitive my style

I do both modern and primitive to -40 below and colder for grins.
Avoid goose down in southern cal, you will just make it wet, being human.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

How to Choose a Sleeping Bag for Camping: Expert Advice from REI

Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVan View Post
Re: Walmart....upscale area....the closest one has signs saying "no overnite parking" although I did see a couple of camper trailers there (early evening) so perhaps it isn't strictly enforced...
I believe there are one or two states where it is illegal to park and sleep overnight in parking lots.

Quote:
Not sure about the truck stop idea. I tried to nap at one once, a few years ago (needed to kill some time) and the truck idling sound was driving me crazy (like Woof mentioned). There are rest areas here...near the beach that might work in a pinch. They are a bit of a distance though so would only use them if I had to.
I sleep at rest areas all the time with the truckers. If the sound bothers you and if you have a van that will fit, try parking by the cars.

Quote:
johnnytang24 said: I have a 5 gallon bucket with toilet seat but have never used it. If I'm close enough to civilization (ie in a parking lot), I'll run in to McD or Walmart. If I'm out in the sticks, I'll use the woods.

I don't mind using the woods when necessary although rattlesnakes, coyotes and even mountain lions might be of concern at nite. I was thinking of getting this for if I'm too scared to go out.... Cabela's: Nature Bio-Toilet

I like it because it's collapsible. I would prob only use in emergencies. Mostly will go at the gym/library/client's homes etc. It's important to consider though, for sure.
This is really less of an issue than I thought it would be, although I haven't gotten sick yet. If I did have some kind of intestinal issue though, I'd probably get a cheap motel room for the night.

Quote:

johnnytang24 talked about isolation. This is something I already have to guard against. I do like to be alone a lot but also enjoy the company of good people. I have to be careful not to go long without seeing anyone or I start to feel unloved and lonely! I'm sure living in the van will exacerbate this if I'm not careful! I think I will plan to see my friends more...and try to make more friends that I can visit. I'm pretty friendly when I want to be. Thanks for reminding me about this important consideration Johnny.
I have the same problem where I don't mind spending time alone, but that leads to ALL my time being alone. I spend a fair amount of time in the gym, so that's where I make many of my friends. I sometimes also take classes, like ceramics or something.

Quote:

One thing that's troubling is that the laundymats tend to be in bad(ish) neighborhoods. Will definitely have to go in the daytime.
There are laundromats everywhere. I'm not overly concerned, being a tough looking guy, but even in the nice parts of town there have to be laundromats.

Quote:
Move somewhere warmer? Or get some sleeping bags. I've woken up with the water bottle next to my head frozen and the condensation on the sleeping bag freezing me to the bed.

Quote:
Also, I am going to have an issue with clothes storage. Was looking at waterproof canvas bags that go on the top of the van but that might draw too much attention-it would look odd around here. There are more expensive units I could put on top but don't really want to spend the money (although I haven't researched yet). I REALLY want to keep most of my clothes though. I don't want to look or feel homeless or destitute!
Pick clothes that you definitely want to keep. One of the Zen things about van living is the going back to basics. If you haven't used it in the past year or two, you probably don't need it. I have one 55 gallon Rubbermaid full of clothes and some jacket and pants hanging. I could reduce it even more if I kept winter clothes at a relatives house.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:00 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Practically any sleeping bag will keep you warm in the 40s. Really good, expensive nested sleeping bags will keep you warm to at least -30F. You could use some of those in northern Alaska or even the North Pole, but using the inner layer alone will work for mild weather.
I have two cheap Walmart sleeping bags; one 40F ($10!) and one 0F. The difference between cheap and expensive is usually how bulky and heavy they are. Living in a van, it doesn't matter. I use the 40F as a blanket down to about 40F, the 0F down to about 20F, and both together down to 0F. Haven't stayed in the van any colder than that.

The 0F bag is mummy style which has a head wrap (helps a whole bunch!)

Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Johnnytang, it seems you need to open a window to allow moist air to move out, more so in winter, less than 32 degress. A vapor barrier liner would stop body moisture from entering the bag(s) as well.

If the outter most top of the bag is ever showing moisture, or ICE, that is your own body's moisture condensing there. This is getting dampness in the bag fill, which isn't a great idea for long term camp mode sleeping.

You probably know staying dry in real cold the key.

I got a great lesson in this, when camped on Mt Adams in NH for 10 days in a Januaray of February trip. I have so many these trips blend now.

Anyway I don't bother with a tent anymore at -10 and colder, since it can't rain, and I don't need to be buried alive by snow. Been there done that, almost never woke up.

So basicly what I am trying to say is my vapor barrier liner blew a seam by my feet, and I missed seeing that. The end result was one morning I discovered my outter bag was frozen to my bivey sack, near my feet. I knew that was wrong! Tore the bag system apart and found the seam of the liner open, found the outter bag iced, and more ice on the bivey.

No big deal, as during breakfast i set all the stuff in the trees for the day opened up and inside out, to sublimate, and sewwed that seam back tight.

The good thing about -10 and colder is it's dry. And colder mostly means -40 below up there in winter, not counting any wind chill. Mt Adams is apx 14 miles north on the trail from Mt Washington, in NH.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I think a cheap Walmart sleeping bag would be good enough if MyVan stays in coastal Southern California (it can get colder inland). Be sure to feel the lining to see if it's a comfortable material. And mind Mac's advice about condensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness